AE Colton's Styling?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by StockwellDay, Oct 23, 2006.

1. StockwellDay

StockwellDay Senior member

What are people's opinion on these. Are the stout and boring. The picture give the impression that they might be a little sleeker than you would think.

Anyone have these care to give their impression.

http://www.zappos.com/n/p/p/125017.html

(good deal here for 7D's and 9D's btw)

2. chorse123

chorse123 Senior member

They are a little clunky. Also, the pairs I've seen have had a lot of shop wear, making me think they ding easily. As far as boring, I think classic is probably better. But sleek they are not.

AE must have closed out this style - I've seen them on deep discount at Filene's Basement and DSW in NYC. I'd see if you could buy them there, as it may be cheaper, but I guess Zappos has free shipping. STP also has them in a few sizes. 15% off if you click through "support the forum" above.

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/pro...ap-Toe-For-Men

3. sho'nuff

sho'nuff grrrrrrrr!!

i agree. the colton i have myself and although i enjoy wearing them very much, they are a bit on the clunky side and are not sleek or sleeker, the word does not go near it.

the shape of the toe and the way it curves a little inward is one of the most unsleek designs i have for shoes. but i like it , maybe because i have a variety of toe shapes and sleekness levels amongst all my shoes and the colton fills in nicely at one end of the spectrum.

one of the things i did notice, is the chestnut color although nice when by itself, when i put it on my feet the chestnut color tends to be a little boring. so that is why i colored mine multicolored.

4. grimslade

grimslade Senior member

I ordered a pair and sent them back. I had fit issues, but I also found them a bit clunky.

5. JLibourel

JLibourel Senior member

A-E closed out this style almost a year ago.

I got a pair in August and darkened them a bit with brown and merlot polish. I like 'em.

I like their looks. The #0 last they are built on is certainly more sleek than the #1 last of the Lexington, which they replaced in the A-E line.

Unless a shoe is ridiculously "blobby," I don't concern myself too much with issues of sleekness. Most A-E lace-ups look good to me. A lot of elongated, chisel-toe lasts just look a tad on the effete side to me.

6. jml90

jml90 Senior member

Look a lot like my Sanford which I love.
    The reason I like AE is because they are not sleek. I'm a big guy skinny shoes look long and silly on my feet at least I think.

7. wvuguy

wvuguy Active Member

If you want to see a clunky AE, take a look at the old Lexington. The Colton is a Ferrari by comparison.

8. grimslade

grimslade Senior member

Let me clarify that I'm not an AE hater. I own several pairs and consider them among my most-comfortable shoes. Some of the new shoes are tempting too--I like the Bristols and the new monk straps. but the Coltons didn't do anything for me. I wear wide shoes, which did that model no favors.

9. wvuguy

wvuguy Active Member

A lot of elongated, chisel-toe lasts just look a tad on the effete side to me.

As a fellow AE fan, allow me to say that I think this is nothing short of a fabulous statement. [​IMG]