• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

AE Colton's Styling?

StockwellDay

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What are people's opinion on these. Are the stout and boring. The picture give the impression that they might be a little sleeker than you would think.

Anyone have these care to give their impression.

http://www.zappos.com/n/p/p/125017.html

(good deal here for 7D's and 9D's btw)

chorse123

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
They are a little clunky. Also, the pairs I've seen have had a lot of shop wear, making me think they ding easily. As far as boring, I think classic is probably better. But sleek they are not.

AE must have closed out this style - I've seen them on deep discount at Filene's Basement and DSW in NYC. I'd see if you could buy them there, as it may be cheaper, but I guess Zappos has free shipping. STP also has them in a few sizes. 15% off if you click through "support the forum" above.

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/pro...ap-Toe-For-Men

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
i agree. the colton i have myself and although i enjoy wearing them very much, they are a bit on the clunky side and are not sleek or sleeker, the word does not go near it.

the shape of the toe and the way it curves a little inward is one of the most unsleek designs i have for shoes. but i like it , maybe because i have a variety of toe shapes and sleekness levels amongst all my shoes and the colton fills in nicely at one end of the spectrum.

one of the things i did notice, is the chestnut color although nice when by itself, when i put it on my feet the chestnut color tends to be a little boring. so that is why i colored mine multicolored.

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I ordered a pair and sent them back. I had fit issues, but I also found them a bit clunky.

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A-E closed out this style almost a year ago.

I got a pair in August and darkened them a bit with brown and merlot polish. I like 'em.

I like their looks. The #0 last they are built on is certainly more sleek than the #1 last of the Lexington, which they replaced in the A-E line.

Unless a shoe is ridiculously "blobby," I don't concern myself too much with issues of sleekness. Most A-E lace-ups look good to me. A lot of elongated, chisel-toe lasts just look a tad on the effete side to me.

jml90

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Look a lot like my Sanford which I love.
The reason I like AE is because they are not sleek. I'm a big guy skinny shoes look long and silly on my feet at least I think.

wvuguy

Reaction score
If you want to see a clunky AE, take a look at the old Lexington. The Colton is a Ferrari by comparison.

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Let me clarify that I'm not an AE hater. I own several pairs and consider them among my most-comfortable shoes. Some of the new shoes are tempting too--I like the Bristols and the new monk straps. but the Coltons didn't do anything for me. I wear wide shoes, which did that model no favors.

wvuguy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JLibourel
A lot of elongated, chisel-toe lasts just look a tad on the effete side to me.

As a fellow AE fan, allow me to say that I think this is nothing short of a fabulous statement.
crackup[1].gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads