• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Advice on tuxedos

Crow

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

long time reader here. I was hoping to get some advice on how to go about ordering a tux for myself. I am getting married and need a tux in the NYC area. below are some questions:

1. any recommendations on tailors/shops?
2. What are the specifications to tell the tailor? I know in the past when i have gotten suits and shirts made i have had to specify the collar types, pant length and style, cuff types, etc. What are some things I need to be thinking about for tuxes?
3. What styles are in? any faux pas to avoid?
4. Any other lessons learned?

thanks in advance

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First of all, congratulations!

1. What is your budget and how much time do you have? Hard to recommend a shop or tailor without knowing how much you are looking to spend and when you are getting married.

2/3. Strongly recommend that you check out The Black Tie Guide first to understand the elements of a classic black tie outfit (I assume you are looking for black tie instead of white tie). Most people here will tell you to go for a classic outfit for black tie and avoid being 'stylish' (e.g. more than one button). Some acceptable stylistic choices include peak vs shawl lapel, choice of lapel facing (satin vs grosgrain), what kind of waist covering (waistcoat vs cummerbund), shirt (marcella or pleated). Trousers should always be uncuffed.

4. Don't leave this to the last minute.

Last edited:

Crow

Reaction score
1. budget wise... i am not sure what is reasonable. I would target around $500-600 but if that won't get me anything decent I can go higher. I need the tux by end of Feb, so just over a month.

2/3. thanks for the link.

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

1. budget wise... i am not sure what is reasonable. I would target around $500-600 but if that won't get me anything decent I can go higher. I need the tux by end of Feb, so just over a month.

2/3. thanks for the link.

Given your budget and your time frame I'd recommend against a made to measure tuxedo, either in person or online.
Check out Suitsupply. They have two locations in Manhattan I think. Their peak lapel tuxedo is pretty classic. The lapel width is generous but looks fine IMO.

thesilentist

Reaction score
Made-to-measure probably wouldn't be reliable -- at least from any place that uses a Chinese manufacturer -- as Chinese New Year begins next week and most factories shut down for 3 weeks (or more). Also, that budget is pretty unrealistic for MTM, unless you went half-canvased.

As others have suggested, off-the-rack is probably the best option. This will give you enough time to do alterations before your event. I would also keep in mind you'll want to have shoes and a tuxedo shirt on hand for the fitting for your tuxedo so sleeve lengths and pant hems can be correct. French cuffed shirts tend to sit lower on most guys' wrists than a button-cuff shirt and the jacket sleeves need to be adjusted to account for this. Make sure to communicate your timeline of when you need alterations completed, too!

If you have the time, try to visit several places and try on several brands, even if they're out of your price range. It's worth getting a feel for how things fit and what you do and don't like. The tuxedo will be a garment you should ideally buy for the long haul, so consider this if you see something slightly over your budget but that you really like how it looks, feels and fits.

All in, you're probably looking at $1k for a tuxedo at a minimum by the time you include shoes, shirt, bowtie, cummerbund, cufflinks/studs, etc. if you went with Suitsupply.

johng70

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have to ask - why are you buying the tux? Do you really go to black-tie affairs much? If you do, great. If not, and people are discussing spending $1,000 for the tux, it seems a tremendous waste of money. Your money. And maybe living in New York area you go to black tie affairs and could actually use a tux. But, buying seems like overkill to me.

Fred G. Unn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I have to ask - why are you buying the tux?  

Dude, he says right in the first paragraph that he's getting married.

OP, @breakaway01's SuitSupply suggestion is a good one for your price range, and it would be easy for you to try on:
http://us.suitsupply.com/en_US/even...tuxedo/P1199I-S.html?cgid=Eveningwear_Package

A few other options you might not have considered:

eHaberdasher's Benjamin Sartorial tuxedos, fully canvassed for $550-75:
http://ehaberdasher.com/index.php/benjamin-sartorial-tuxedo-teatro.html
http://ehaberdasher.com/index.php/benjamin-sartorial-tuxedo-scala.html

Kent Wang's sort of unique try-it-on-first MTM, $840 (not sure of turnaround time):
http://www.kentwang.com/suits/tuxedo.html

Ralph Lauren discontinued the Black Label line, so there are tons NWT on eBay right now from flippers in the $600-900 range, although I'm not a fan of the 2-button models:
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...=nc&LH_ItemCondition=3&_trksid=p2045573.m1684

I'm not sure if the turnaround time is possible, but Mr Ned has custom made tuxedos starting at $1,050, if you really wanted custom:
http://mrnednyc.com/pricing-process/
I've heard mixed things about him online, but I have one friend that has had him make a half dozen suits over the years and thinks he's a bargain for the $$$.

You can also head down to the WTC Century 21. Who knows what they currently have, but I'm sure they will have something decent discounted to your range. There's also Gentleman's Resale on E 81st St, which only carries top tier brands, and has unused samples and overstocks in addition to high end consignments.

johng70

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dude, do you have any idea how many men get married each year?
As a percentage, how many do you think BUY a tux instead of RENTING one
Does that question make sense, DUDE?

Fred G. Unn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Dude, do you have any idea how many men get married each year?
As a percentage, how many do you think BUY a tux instead of RENTING one
Does that question make sense, DUDE?

Why does any of that matter to the question at hand? The OP asked for "advice on how to go about ordering a tux for myself" and your helpful response was "buying seems like overkill to me." If he's getting married and asking the question after being a member here for 10 years, he's already decided to buy. Renting a tux is still gonna be $200-250 from Men's Warehouse, or at least it was when I was forced to wear a Vera Wang tux from there as a groomsman a couple of years ago. If he buys a $500 tuxedo and wears it twice, the purchase has paid for itself vs. renting, and additionally he'll have a higher quality item which he can get tailored to fit, so he has the potential to look much better in a higher quality purchased and tailored tuxedo vs. renting. In the NYC area, it's perfectly reasonable to expect that he may continue to attend black tie weddings and black tie events in the future. As an example, I'm in the NYC area and there are two black tie galas I attend annually plus any black tie weddings or other events that pop up. As long as the OP is looking at a classic timeless tuxedo it of course makes more sense to purchase, and what better occasion to purchase it for than his own wedding?

johng70

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Fred:
What it has to do with, is people are throwing figures out around 900-1000. A tux rental is 100-200. I prefer to give people real-world advice. People on this forum tend to jump to overly expensive solutions. In my opinion, it's up to the OP to think about whether or not he would get additional use out of the tux. I appreciate that you've been on the site for 10 years. How wonderful for you. No need to try and assert your dominance. We can keep this civil.

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Quote:
I am sure the OP is aware of the option of renting a tux and has thought about the utility of purchasing a tuxedo. As you said, it's up to him, so why are you making a big deal about it? He did not ask whether he should rent or buy. I made the crazy assumption that he would like us to answer the actual question that he posed, not the question that you imagine he should have asked. I asked for his budget and provided an option that would work, as did @Fred G. Unn .

I think $550-600 for a SuitSupply or eHaberdasher tuxedo is not unreasonable given the cost of a wedding nowadays, and what the bride's outfit will cost.

Last edited:

Churchill W

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

OP, @breakaway01's SuitSupply suggestion is a good one for your price range, and it would be easy for you to try on:
http://us.suitsupply.com/en_US/even...tuxedo/P1199I-S.html?cgid=Eveningwear_Package

A few other options you might not have considered:

eHaberdasher's Benjamin Sartorial tuxedos, fully canvassed for $550-75:
http://ehaberdasher.com/index.php/benjamin-sartorial-tuxedo-teatro.html
http://ehaberdasher.com/index.php/benjamin-sartorial-tuxedo-scala.html

Kent Wang's sort of unique try-it-on-first MTM, $840 (not sure of turnaround time):
http://www.kentwang.com/suits/tuxedo.html

Ralph Lauren discontinued the Black Label line, so there are tons NWT on eBay right now from flippers in the $600-900 range, although I'm not a fan of the 2-button models:
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...=nc&LH_ItemCondition=3&_trksid=p2045573.m1684

I'm not sure if the turnaround time is possible, but Mr Ned has custom made tuxedos starting at $1,050, if you really wanted custom:
http://mrnednyc.com/pricing-process/
I've heard mixed things about him online, but I have one friend that has had him make a half dozen suits over the years and thinks he's a bargain for the $$$.

You can also head down to the WTC Century 21. Who knows what they currently have, but I'm sure they will have something decent discounted to your range. There's also Gentleman's Resale on E 81st St, which only carries top tier brands, and has unused samples and overstocks in addition to high end consignments.

Given the turnaround time, agree these are the best options. My top choices of the two would be Suit Supply or Century, given alterations will likely need to be made also.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads