• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Advice on selecting a domain name

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oh man! I just checked a site I thought of last week. The SAME DAY it was bought up. I was planning on buying it right now. I'm PISSED! Bought by a Chinese company.

Silverback

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you just do a search you will see people accuse Godaddy of this but Bob Parson's denies it.

It happens on all registrars and nobody can prove anything.
frown.gif

TintinATL

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tarmac
Does Bic Pentameter mean something? Why did someone buy the .com

I assumed it was a pun: "I am Bic Pentameter" = "iambic pentameter" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iambic_pentameter). Googling the pun shows plenty of references, so it's quite well-known, which may explain why the dotcom is taken.

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Safest way to search is to use Linux or OS X and type 'whois mydomain.com' Never using an online registrar again. My domain was literally bought by the Chinese a few hours after I thought of it. I'm also pulling out all my godaddy hosted services.

Silverback

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tiecollector
Safest way to search is to use Linux or OS X and type 'whois mydomain.com' Never using an online registrar again. My domain was literally bought by the Chinese a few hours after I thought of it. I'm also pulling out all my godaddy hosted services.
I read about this on Slashdot, this is a big issue that comes up every now and again, and there were people who thought this would help and others that thought this was ineffective.

Certainly worth a try but the only way I have read to beat this is to reg it if you think you might want it.

Bic Pentameter

Reaction score
Thanks very much for all of your advice. I didn't mean to confuse the issue by using Bic Pentameter as an example. Yep, I chose the name because of the weak pun.

The following is a pretty accurate description of my situation, with certain details changed.

My name is John Smith. I am an architect living in Seattle. I am bilingual in Spanish, and understand Spanish design aesthetics (purely hypothetical). I am interested in doing purely domestic architecture work unrelated to Spain. I am interested in designing buildings for North Americans in Spain, and in designing buildings in North America and other geographical areas for Spanish clients. I also would be interested in doing non-architectural consulting/business development for North Americans looking to enter the Spanish market, and Spanish investors looking to enter the North American market.

So, Johnsmith.com is $3,000. Jsmith.com and other variations are taken, too. Johnsmith.net is available, and initially, I thought that this might be a good cheap way to have a web presence.

Because of the size of my practice, I don't think that anyone would intuitively enter my name in the address field of their browser to find me. Also, the $3,000 price tag is more than I want to spend. I would hope that people whom I have met will be able to contact me by looking at my business card, letterhead, or an e-mail message. Because my primary aim is to attract new business, I turned to descriptive terms, such as northamericanspanishspeakingarchitect.com, spanisharchitect.com, seattle-spanishdesign.com and the like. Most of them seem much too long, or appear to limit me to architecture, Spain, or a particular geographic area.

All of the talk about names being bought out soon after a search spooked me a bit. Luckily, jsmitharchitect.com was available, so I registered it.

Thanks for your comments.

Bic

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
meatspin.com is pretty good

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bic Pentameter
Luckily, jsmitharchitect.com was available, so I registered it.

Thanks for your comments.

Bic

Well, something like "smitharchitect.com" would be better, but that sounds fine.

Xericx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
in general, I stay away from things that are hard to pronounce phonetically or that are often misspelled. I believe having architect is such a word I would stray away from.

I would use the 3 letters in John Smith Architect as :

JSA

then add another word behind it such as:

WorldWide
International
Design
Group
Consortium
consulting

blah blah blah. some of those sound generic, but if you try some more combos, you'll eventually find the right one.

take in mind, those are probably all taken....but keep on experimenting and find one that works...its easy to pronounce and more importantly, easy to remember.

You might want to register a site in spain too....they use an ".es" domain I think.

Xericx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
either that, or don't even use your name...come up with a business name, DBA it and then register that.

Something seattle...then mix it with something spanish.

Or take a common name or term in seattle, translate to spanish and use that...just make sure its easy for everyone to spell.

Bic Pentameter

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Xericx
in general, I stay away from things that are hard to pronounce phonetically or that are often misspelled. I believe having architect is such a word I would stray away from.

I would use the 3 letters in John Smith Architect as :

JSA

then add another word behind it such as:

WorldWide
International
Design
Group
Consortium
consulting

blah blah blah. some of those sound generic, but if you try some more combos, you'll eventually find the right one.

take in mind, those are probably all taken....but keep on experimenting and find one that works...its easy to pronounce and more importantly, easy to remember.

You might want to register a site in spain too....they use an ".es" domain I think.

Thanks very much for your suggestions. I tried to register the site in my country of interest, but GoDaddy wouldn't let me do it because my mailing address isn't located in that country. I have a mailing address in the country, so I will do that.

Bic

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads