• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• Hi, we have updated our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy in anticipation of the upcoming new Calfornia laws, the CCPA. If you are a resident of California, these rights pertain to you. Thanks - Styleforum Team.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Advice on a look for a photoshoot?

KenzTK

Reaction score
I have a photo shoot in a couple of weeks and I am buying a new outfit for it. I was thinking a dark denim jacket with chinos but I can't figure out what to wear under the jacket or what shoes to wear?

I'm considering this jacket unbuttoned: http://shop.vans.com/catalog/Vans/en_US/style/o6j.html?categoryId=73109

With these pants: http://www.abercrombie.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10901&storeId=10051&langId=-1&categoryId=12227&parentCategoryId=12227&topCategoryId=12202&size=&productId=852997&seq=01

Any tips on what type/color shirt and shoes I need to wear with this pairing?

Any help would be much appreciated! Thanks.

Last edited:

Crane's

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm a photographer and the best advice I can give you is don't show up in a newly purchased wardrobe. If you are the least bit worried about how you look during the shoot it won't go well. Wear something from your closet that you're comfortable with and you know looks good on you. This advice is pretty much what any photographer will tell you.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
With khaki pants and a denim jacket the classic look and compliment would be

1st choice a white pocket t-shirt or a non-ironed white button down oxford cloth shirt.
2nd Blue chambray shirt (this will give a bit of a workwear kind of look if you like that
3rd Grey heather T shirt with a pocket

I would avoid a blue oxford cloth button down with khakis. It will look too much like a 2003 cliche.

For shoes I would wear suede desert boots and a light brown/tan leather belt.

Crane's

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
PSG,

All of that might work but once again it's common knowledge that photographers advise against any newly purchased outfits to be worn. No matter how good they look the person is not accustomed to them and the end result is an image that shows all that self consciousness.

Sometimes the answer to questions lies in the closet and not the store.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How wide do you like your leg opening on your trousers?

• 7”

Votes: 58 17.4%
  • 7.5”

Votes: 111 33.3%
  • 8”

Votes: 101 30.3%
  • 8.5”

Votes: 36 10.8%
  • 9”

Votes: 13 3.9%
  • 9.5”

Votes: 7 2.1%