Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Need help with choosing navy sport's jacket

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by docka, Jun 24, 2013.

1. docka

docka Senior member

Plan A:

http://us.topman.com/webapp/wcs/sto...s=category~[1070102|447497]&noOfRefinements=1

or

http://www.jcrew.com/mens_category/sportcoatsandvests/Ludlowsportcoats/PRDOVR~21509/21509.jsp

Topman's jacket is $100 while Jcrew's jacket is $290. I know everybody thinks material such as polyester is a big no-no, but given that Jcrew's version is close to 3x the amount and this jacket will be worn sparingly, do you think it's worth the jump? I know the navy sport's jacket is a staple item but I'm not sure if I'm going to wear it enough to justify the price. Topman's material is trash, but the cutting fits me nicely.

Plan B:

http://www.jcrew.com/mens_category/...ructedLudlowSportcoats/PRDOVR~56083/56083.jsp

The unconstructed navy jacket is $120. It's more casual and I guess it's less versatile since it can't be dressed up like the wool blazer.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2013

2. jaywhyy

jaywhyy Senior member

In what occasions will you wear said jacket?

3. docka

docka Senior member

I didn't think off any specific occasion, so I guess something casual will suffice - basically throw it on and head out type of jacket. If its overly formal, I can always break out a suit.

It's just a piece I was merely thinking of adding to my wardrobe, so I had versatility in mind, but I wasn't sure whether 3x the price (JCREW wool jacket) was justifiable. I think it will be a splurge in the context of what I'm going to use it for.

4. jaywhyy

jaywhyy Senior member

In any case, I do not think any jacket from topman is worth purchasing. Their jackets are cut comically short and are polyester.

5. docka

docka Senior member

The length looks a little short from the picture as well. Usually the tail is a bit longer I presume.

6. othertravel

othertravel Senior member

What size are you? I can proxy you a Corneliani ID navy SC for roughly $220 + tax (Canadian) - marked down from $1k +. I won't charge a proxy fee; just want to help a fellow SFer out.

Corneliani is a much better bet than the SCs above. The ID line is canvassed and made in Italy.

7. othertravel

The proxy offer is open to all btw.

8. archibaldleach

archibaldleach Senior member

Avoid the TopMan jacket. It will probably look and feel cheap and you won't like wearing it. It could well be a classic "bargain" purchase that ends up sitting in your closet collecting dust. For dressing up, the cotton jacket from J Crew IMO is a poor substitute. It may get some use for casual wear but it is not that versatile. I can't attest to the quality of J Crew, but of the choices you provided, the wool blazer is by far the best option.

The real question is whether you want to pay $300 for a navy blazer. To me $300 for a versatile wardrobe staple that could last a long time makes a lot of sense. YMMV. If you're not ready to spend that much, then perhaps hold off on getting a navy jacket at all. It's a wardrobe staple but there's a price point below which you will struggle to find something that is well made.

9. GBR

GBR Senior member

No polyester product is worth buying.

10. GBR

GBR Senior member

No polyester product is worth buying.

11. othertravel

I would qualify this by saying some 'travel' blazers contain a small amount of polyester to prevent wrinkling. RLBL and Samuelsohn both do this. For travel purposes, this is acceptable imo.

12. docka

docka Senior member

no votes so far? I guess it's a no-go for topman, but the cotton vs wool jacket is debatable?

13. othertravel

You really haven't provided good options. For $290 you can find something way better than JCrew.

14. docka

docka Senior member

I'll look into it. Thanks.

15. Veremund

Veremund Senior member

+1