• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Need help with choosing navy sport's jacket

docka

Reaction score
Plan A:

http://us.topman.com/webapp/wcs/sto...s=category~[1070102|447497]&noOfRefinements=1

or

http://www.jcrew.com/mens_category/sportcoatsandvests/Ludlowsportcoats/PRDOVR~21509/21509.jsp

Topman's jacket is $100 while Jcrew's jacket is $290. I know everybody thinks material such as polyester is a big no-no, but given that Jcrew's version is close to 3x the amount and this jacket will be worn sparingly, do you think it's worth the jump? I know the navy sport's jacket is a staple item but I'm not sure if I'm going to wear it enough to justify the price. Topman's material is trash, but the cutting fits me nicely.

Plan B:

http://www.jcrew.com/mens_category/...ructedLudlowSportcoats/PRDOVR~56083/56083.jsp

The unconstructed navy jacket is $120. It's more casual and I guess it's less versatile since it can't be dressed up like the wool blazer.

Last edited:

jaywhyy

Reaction score
In what occasions will you wear said jacket?

docka

Reaction score
I didn't think off any specific occasion, so I guess something casual will suffice - basically throw it on and head out type of jacket. If its overly formal, I can always break out a suit.

It's just a piece I was merely thinking of adding to my wardrobe, so I had versatility in mind, but I wasn't sure whether 3x the price (JCREW wool jacket) was justifiable. I think it will be a splurge in the context of what I'm going to use it for.

jaywhyy

Reaction score
In any case, I do not think any jacket from topman is worth purchasing. Their jackets are cut comically short and are polyester.

docka

Reaction score
In any case, I do not think any jacket from topman is worth purchasing. Their jackets are cut comically short and are polyester.
The length looks a little short from the picture as well. Usually the tail is a bit longer I presume.

othertravel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Plan A:

&noOfRefinements=1]http://us.topman.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?beginIndex=1&viewAllFlag=&catalogId=33059&storeId=13051&productId=9966118&langId=-1&sort_field=Relevance&categoryId=447497&parent_categoryId=&pageSize=200&refinements=category~[1070102|447497]&noOfRefinements=1

or 

http://www.jcrew.com/mens_category/sportcoatsandvests/Ludlowsportcoats/PRDOVR~21509/21509.jsp

Topman's jacket is $100 while Jcrew's jacket is $290. I know everybody thinks material such as polyester is a big no-no, but given that Jcrew's version is close to 3x the amount and this jacket will be worn sparingly, do you think it's worth the jump? I know the navy sport's jacket is a staple item but I'm not sure if I'm going to wear it enough to justify the price. Topman's material is trash, but the cutting fits me nicely. 

Plan B:

http://www.jcrew.com/mens_category/...ructedLudlowSportcoats/PRDOVR~56083/56083.jsp

The unconstructed navy jacket is $120. It's more casual and I guess it's less versatile since it can't be dressed up like the wool blazer.  

What size are you? I can proxy you a Corneliani ID navy SC for roughly $220 + tax (Canadian) - marked down from $1k +. I won't charge a proxy fee; just want to help a fellow SFer out.

Corneliani is a much better bet than the SCs above. The ID line is canvassed and made in Italy.

archibaldleach

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Avoid the TopMan jacket. It will probably look and feel cheap and you won't like wearing it. It could well be a classic "bargain" purchase that ends up sitting in your closet collecting dust. For dressing up, the cotton jacket from J Crew IMO is a poor substitute. It may get some use for casual wear but it is not that versatile. I can't attest to the quality of J Crew, but of the choices you provided, the wool blazer is by far the best option.

The real question is whether you want to pay $300 for a navy blazer. To me $300 for a versatile wardrobe staple that could last a long time makes a lot of sense. YMMV. If you're not ready to spend that much, then perhaps hold off on getting a navy jacket at all. It's a wardrobe staple but there's a price point below which you will struggle to find something that is well made.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No polyester product is worth buying.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

othertravel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I would qualify this by saying some 'travel' blazers contain a small amount of polyester to prevent wrinkling. RLBL and Samuelsohn both do this. For travel purposes, this is acceptable imo.

Last edited:

docka

Reaction score
no votes so far? I guess it's a no-go for topman, but the cotton vs wool jacket is debatable?

othertravel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

no votes so far? I guess it's a no-go for topman, but the cotton vs wool jacket is debatable? 

You really haven't provided good options. For $290 you can find something way better than JCrew.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads