• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Advice needed: is this suit appropriate?

Cant kill da Rooster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
From what I have seen at MD, I wouldn't call any of their clothes flashy. It might just seem shiny in the pics.

Their cuts are a bit on the contemporary side.

Last edited:

Academic2

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I can't quite tell from the photo, but it looks like it might be unvented.

Cheers,

Ac

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Too trendy , fashion forward, short , tight, etc.
At least for me, an attorney, even a young one,
should project an image of understated good taste.
This ain't it.

Academic2

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quote:
You're the only one who works where you work. How does it compare with what other men at your firm wear?

Cheers,

Ac

Ebichuman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Don't stress over it too much. For every partner in a well cut suit there are several in Jos A Bank like oversized, lumpy suits. The suit you showed will be fine, just don't get it in too small a size.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Don't stress over it too much. For every partner in a well cut suit there are several in Jos A Bank like oversized, lumpy suits. The suit you showed will be fine, just don't get it in too small a size.

And just as "several in Jos A Bank like oversized, lumpy suits." being judged scruffy by discerning clients and judges, you will be known as one who id also not of sufficient judgement to take a pride in his appearance.

Ebichuman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You're giving lawyers too much credit, I think. My firsthand experiences across banking, consulting and legal sectors made me a firm believer that clothing and appearance at certain levels dont matter that much. Having worked for or with a number of Managing Partners and CEOs I am comfortable that my observations are correct but others, especially on SF will, with no doubt, disagree. Regarding OP's question: I see junior and senior associates dressed the full gamut from awful to very well executed; his suit choice would be perfectly acceptable and no one would think any less of him.

archibaldleach

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

You're giving lawyers too much credit, I think. My firsthand experiences across banking, consulting and legal sectors made me a firm believer that clothing and appearance at certain levels dont matter that much. Having worked for or with a number of Managing Partners and CEOs I am comfortable that my observations are correct but others, especially on SF will, with no doubt, disagree. Regarding OP's question: I see junior and senior associates dressed the full gamut from awful to very well executed; his suit choice would be perfectly acceptable and no one would think any less of him.

Here's the thing. If you're relatively junior, you don't want to give anyone ammunition to use against you. If you're a well renowned lawyer, banker, consultant, etc., you are more likely to be able to get away with wearing whatever you want. For someone who is junior, I'd err on the side of good taste and caution. Even if you can get by without it, looking good isn't a bad thing.

Nobody cares if Sam Zell walks into a business meeting in jeans because he's Sam Zell. A junior associate doesn't have that kind of pull. Especially for those times when you want to look your best, you should be understated and tasteful.

Ebichuman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Of course. I am not advocating OP dresses sloppily or too flamboyantly - I am merely stating that the suit he proposed is more than adequate for his needs.

archibaldleach

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ Fair.

OP, I'd also be a bit skeptical of anything called a cashmere wool suit that sells for under the price in question.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads