1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Cheap MTM Suits & Shirts in NYC - Indochino? Looking for insight/advice!

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by epic raccoon, Aug 18, 2016.

1. epic raccoon

epic raccoon Well-Known Member

Thank you.

That's exactly the sort of information I was hoping to gather; I was just hoping that it'd be from people who have gone through the measurement process via the physical Indochino location in NYC, rather than online.

My thinking was that by eliminating the addition of another party to the process, i.e. a tailor to take measurements, and have Indochino's staff do it themselves, it would help minimise discrepancies. And not to mention taking advantage of customer service to sort out problems (I often receive excellent service, which people have attributed to my manners and overall demeanor in face-to-face interactions).

But if the quality and construction of the suits are poor by any standard, as you say, then I am definitely going to strike them off my list.

(Perhaps I should have avoided putting "Indochino" in the thread's title altogether!)

Again, I am also open to alternatives, amongst which currently include: Black Lapel, which is tiny bit higher than what I hoped, but they have a location here and have been recommended to me; SuitSupply's in-house tailoring, which of course has its limitations and is not MTM; or just stick with an online MTM service. The third seems to be the most feasible option at the sub-$500 price range.

2. HoopsMcCann251

HoopsMcCann251 New Member

For what it's worth, I was measured in a Toronto Indochino store last year and a few months later ordered a tuxedo set (suit, shirt, tie, links + studs).

I had done months worth of research on the proper fit and style of suits and tuxedos. I'm a musician, so I wear them often, and finally wanted one of my own. I specifically ordered the most traditional options - one button, peak lapels, no vent, flat front pants, no pant cuffs, suspender/braces buttons. And of course, "Danger Zone" monogrammed on the inside of the jacket.

Surprisingly, the shirt and tux jacket fit perfectly. I haven't had to have them tailored at all. The pants, however, were too short, in a fashionable way. I tried to have them let out but there wasn't enough material. So, I ordered a remake, but specifically asked for there to be 3-4 inches of extra material (just to be safe!)... I'm supposed to be getting them back tomorrow, and will post pictures when I get some time.

Pros: Affordable; intuitive ordering process; their customer service was excellent and ordering a remake on the pants was a cinch. Great fit on the jacket (which is still incredible, given the stories I've read) and the shirt (which is great as well).
    Cons: Trendy styling and fit in some areas, as many have mentioned. The waist is a little snug but they leave lots of material to work with, and the pants are measured like their models wear them on their website. If you like absolutely zero break and show a bit of sock, go for it. Otherwise definitely specify what length/break you desire. Finally, I wasn't able to have a functioning buttoniere on the lapel for some reason.

I had an excellent experience with the Toronto location but your mileage may vary with your local shop. Best of luck.

Chris