• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

adventures in bespoke: Richard Anderson

Stugotes

Reaction score
Very nice! That looks like a great suit!

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It looks good, it would be interesting to see the full range of photographs, with and without the coat and inside the coat to compare with the Chittleborough & Morgan suit when it is finished. It is not often that we see two concurrent commissions from different tailors for the same person.

At the moment I marginally prefer the C and M for its apparent quirkiness.

archetypal_yuppie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Will those who attacked the David Reeves divots have the balls to speak up about the Richard Anderson bumps?

I suspect a tug at the sleeve would fix it, but that's kind of cheating.

P.S. Nice suit.

P.P.S. It's navy blue?

Last edited:

TheTukker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Very nice - interesting 1-button. Not much shirt cuff here either, but more than at C&M.

medtech_expat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks fellas. Yes it's navy in 11 oz Lesser GB, lapels are 3.25 inches. The plan is to have a few more outings in this prior to taking it back to Richard for a few minor adjustments. The divots are in fact annoying and will need to be addressed.

taxgenius

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Will those who attacked the David Reeves divots have the balls to speak up about the Richard Anderson bumps?

I suspect a tug at the sleeve would fix it, but that's kind of cheating.

P.S. Nice suit.

P.P.S. It's navy blue?

I was wondering about that too.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Wasn't it Foo who led that charge? His presence here is intermittent at best these days,

You rang? So few do these days.

I agree the sleeves are messed up, but I don't think it's a divot problem. Medtech--what's it look like from the side? From the front, I would guess the sleeve rotation is off.

Also, in my opinion, buttoning point is too high.

Last edited:

archetypal_yuppie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Based on very limited info (a picture), the bump might be caused by insufficient slack around your outer shoulder muscle. The cloth might be sitting snug against it, and bunching above that point.

In the pic where your arms are out, holding the camera in both hands, you it looks like you can see that the cloth is tight around your shoulders.

Anyway, 100% guessyness.

TheTukker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I agree the sleeves are messed up, but I don't think it's a divot problem. Medtech--what's it look like from the side? From the front, I would guess the sleeve rotation is off.

Also, in my opinion, buttoning point is too high.

Nice suit, but I have to agree with Foo on both points here.

medtech_expat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Very different experiences with RA and C&M next door.

Not that Richard isn't immensely competent, but it's also clear that he's running a business and needs to allocate his time and resources (which he has every right to do). I had already gone through two tweaks to rotate sleeves and tidy up the back after my initial pick-up (following 1 basted and 2 forwards), and I clearly find myself in the position of having to go back again. I do not know whether Richard's customers as a whole are less demanding or particular, but I almost have the sense that once things advance to a certain stage, that he is fine for commissions to walk out the door provided that customers don't specifically request additional adjustments to be done. Any other RA clients care to comment?

Joe Morgan is quite the opposite. My first commission was very patiently and meticulously advanced through perhaps 7-8 fittings, Joe often times calling out what he didn't like even though I hadn't noticed any issues. His attention to detail is extraordinary, and I have the sense that he won't let a commission out of his shop until he's completely satisfied with the end result, regardless of whether the client may have already been pleased. I've worn this first suit 3-4 times now, and when speaking with Joe earlier this week mentioned some very minor divoting under the shoulders. He immediately asked when I could come in, so will be seeing him the week after next. Will also have a forward/final on a DB suit, which in 2 fittings is very close to being nailed.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads