1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

adventures in bespoke: Richard Anderson

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by medtech_expat, May 1, 2013.

1. medtech_expat

medtech_expat Senior member

I'll wear it this week, as for the pics we'll have to make due with a few selfies...

2. medtech_expat

No good lighting today, but this should give a sense of the finished product. And I've just decided to get a new camera...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5 people like this.
  3. Stugotes

Stugotes Senior member

Very nice! That looks like a great suit!

4. GBR

GBR Senior member

It looks good, it would be interesting to see the full range of photographs, with and without the coat and inside the coat to compare with the Chittleborough & Morgan suit when it is finished. It is not often that we see two concurrent commissions from different tailors for the same person.

At the moment I marginally prefer the C and M for its apparent quirkiness.

5. archetypal_yuppie

archetypal_yuppie Senior member

Will those who attacked the David Reeves divots have the balls to speak up about the Richard Anderson bumps?

I suspect a tug at the sleeve would fix it, but that's kind of cheating.

P.S. Nice suit.

P.P.S. It's navy blue?

Last edited: Feb 6, 2014
  6. Grammaton Cleric

Grammaton Cleric Senior member

Nice suit, Eddie. How wide are the lapels?

7. TheTukker

TheTukker Senior member

Very nice - interesting 1-button. Not much shirt cuff here either, but more than at C&M.

8. medtech_expat

Thanks fellas. Yes it's navy in 11 oz Lesser GB, lapels are 3.25 inches. The plan is to have a few more outings in this prior to taking it back to Richard for a few minor adjustments. The divots are in fact annoying and will need to be addressed.

9. gusvs

gusvs Senior member

Very nice suit Eddie, but I agree about the divots.

10. taxgenius

taxgenius Senior member

I was wondering about that too.

11. DocHolliday

DocHolliday Senior member Dubiously Honored

Wasn't it Foo who led that charge? His presence here is intermittent at best these days,

12. mafoofan

mafoofan Senior member Dubiously Honored

You rang? So few do these days.

I agree the sleeves are messed up, but I don't think it's a divot problem. Medtech--what's it look like from the side? From the front, I would guess the sleeve rotation is off.

Also, in my opinion, buttoning point is too high.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2014
  13. archetypal_yuppie

archetypal_yuppie Senior member

Based on very limited info (a picture), the bump might be caused by insufficient slack around your outer shoulder muscle. The cloth might be sitting snug against it, and bunching above that point.

In the pic where your arms are out, holding the camera in both hands, you it looks like you can see that the cloth is tight around your shoulders.

Anyway, 100% guessyness.

14. TheTukker

TheTukker Senior member

Nice suit, but I have to agree with Foo on both points here.

15. medtech_expat

Very different experiences with RA and C&M next door.

Not that Richard isn't immensely competent, but it's also clear that he's running a business and needs to allocate his time and resources (which he has every right to do). I had already gone through two tweaks to rotate sleeves and tidy up the back after my initial pick-up (following 1 basted and 2 forwards), and I clearly find myself in the position of having to go back again. I do not know whether Richard's customers as a whole are less demanding or particular, but I almost have the sense that once things advance to a certain stage, that he is fine for commissions to walk out the door provided that customers don't specifically request additional adjustments to be done. Any other RA clients care to comment?

Joe Morgan is quite the opposite. My first commission was very patiently and meticulously advanced through perhaps 7-8 fittings, Joe often times calling out what he didn't like even though I hadn't noticed any issues. His attention to detail is extraordinary, and I have the sense that he won't let a commission out of his shop until he's completely satisfied with the end result, regardless of whether the client may have already been pleased. I've worn this first suit 3-4 times now, and when speaking with Joe earlier this week mentioned some very minor divoting under the shoulders. He immediately asked when I could come in, so will be seeing him the week after next. Will also have a forward/final on a DB suit, which in 2 fittings is very close to being nailed.

4 people like this.
  16. ctp120

ctp120 Senior member

I agree with Foo and others that the sleeves look like they need to be rotated a touch. As for the button stance--it looks high in the pics, but they're rather low-angle. This tends to distort button stance, IME.

Looks like it will turn out nicely when he's finished with the tweaks, but I still can't say it's won a convert to the structured silhouette or strong shoulders. I have been for awhile and remain partial to a much softer look.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  17. David Reeves

David Reeves Senior member Affiliate Vendor

I think the left sleeve looks good the right is a touch off. These slim sleeves, armholes and close shoulders are going to cause movement a whole lot more than a sleeve you swim in like a lot of OTR or more fuller cut sleeves, sometimes the finer something is the more apparent slight issues become and unfortunately these slight fit issues are often quite fiddly to fix.

18. Despos

Despos Senior member Dubiously Honored

I thought running a business was about taking care of clients and making sure they are well cared for. I get everything wrong sometimes! I guess Joe at C&M doesn't know how to run a business.

1 person likes this.
  19. David Reeves

David Reeves Senior member Affiliate Vendor

Yes, although I am a big RA fan I do feel its a shame you didn't stick with C and M. Often we in the business look at first commissions as something to break even on or potentially lose on, we often only really start to make any kind of money from repeat business.

C and M although acting smooth probably went through hell and a lot of time to get the suit right for you, at seven fittings they burned a lot of time and money on alterations, no doubt with the hope of repeat business.

Not to make you feel bad just giving you my perspective.

20. JulianL

JulianL Well-Known Member

Wasn't it the other way round? From the opening lines of medtech_expat's opening post that started off this thread:

Quote: The above implies to me that he commissioned his RA suit first and C&M second.

What are your thoughts on who gets your next commission medtech_expat?

- Julian