1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

adventures in bespoke: Richard Anderson

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by medtech_expat, May 1, 2013.

1. medtech_expat

medtech_expat Senior member

Just to clarify, I have every expectation that Richard will make things right. Even in its present form, one could argue that the results are within the acceptable range for a first commission. I''m also aware that SFers are more detail oriented and specific as to their desired outcomes than the general bespoke population, so overall I'm more "not yet satisfied" as opposed to dissatisfied.

Regarding C&M, I'm well aware of the investment in time and resources that Joe had put into my first commission. My mention of 7-8 fittings wasn't at all a complaint, as the finished product is close to perfect as I could imagine. But rather, it was to contrast the comparative approaches that I experienced with RA.

I can't really say for sure which of the two would get my next commission - but Joe is currently finishing up a second...

2. Grammaton Cleric

Grammaton Cleric Senior member

medtech - are the prices comparable?

3. medtech_expat

RA is about 10% more, IIRC. RA charges the ex-VAT price, while C&M charges full price and refunds VAT upon receipt of the export stamp.

4. Grammaton Cleric

Grammaton Cleric Senior member

Thanks.

5. David Reeves

David Reeves Senior member Affiliate Vendor

Why do you prefer the RA approach?

6. medtech_expat

I suspect you may not fully understand my posts...

7. David Reeves

David Reeves Senior member Affiliate Vendor

Too busy to read them all right now.

8. gegarrenton

gegarrenton Senior member

I hope that is code for "more idiotic and pedantic while lacking any real understanding of the overall concept".

9. JubeiSpiegel

JubeiSpiegel Senior member

Not sure if it has been noted, but Peter Smith (formally from Huntsman) has recently joined Richard Anderson. http://www.richardandersonltd.com/pages/the-people

My understanding is that Huntsman has been going through constant ownership changes, and Richard Anderson might just be the spiritual successor of the old Huntsman, now more than ever. Any Huntsman clients plan to, or have already gone to Richard Anderson?

I don't have bespoke experience yet, but RA has a warm place in my heart. I enjoyed his book, and reading about the Huntsman of old. Of all the sartorial dreams that i have abandoned (mostly due to a better understanding of such things) having some RA bespoke is still on my wish list...

1 person likes this.
  10. TriTTran

TriTTran Member

I believe you and Mr. Despos misunderstood a little bit from what medtech meant, sir. IMO, RA is now following the path of RJ to become another institution like Huntsman,GIeves & Hawkes, etc. Apart from bespoke suit, RA also provides RTW which obviously means he has more things to do, compared with C&M.

For C&M, i think they're one of very few independent tailors who concentrate only on bespoke tailoring, alongside with Maurice Sedwell and Steven Hitchcock off-the-row (there are some few others but i cannot recall all immediately).

Therefore, RA and C&M are slightly different types of business, which makes their attitudes toward clients different, too (IMO).

11. tyrel99

tyrel99 Member

@medtech_expat How much did your bespoke RA cost?