• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

adventures in bespoke: Richard Anderson

David Reeves

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Welsh and Jeffries is a nice firm. They were across the street from me at RJ and the other side was A&S. Never really new anyone from those places though. We used to hang out with people from Kilgour and Gieves mainly after work at the Masons arms (pub). Savile Row was a great place to work, I had lots of fun just getting dressed up for work and walking back and forth along that street going about the business of the day. I would really like to go back one day.

Fred49

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have used Richard for the past 3 years exclusively and only have great things to say about the company!! Good choice Med!! I have 3 suits in the works currently. Brian Lishak is Richards partner in crime. He is a great guy and does a wonderful job. If bespoke seems a bit pricey you can go to their RTW brand. The fits are really wonderful.

Last edited:

David Reeves

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I have used Richard for the past 3 years exclusively and only have great things to say about the company!! Good choice Med!! I have 3 suits in the works currently. Brian Lishak is Richards partner in crime. He is a great guy and does a wonderful job. If bespoke seems a bit pricey you can go to their RTW brand. The fits are really wonderful.

I would go to RA if I wasn't making suits myself, 100%. Not surprised the fit and your dealings are great, thats how top makers do things. Theres lots of young people doing custom now and I just hope the MTMs and the bad makers don't put people off the more high end ones in the future.

David Reeves

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I havent been back in four years and I don't think he really did off the rack back then. I am sure its really good though. Its really important for tailoring houses to have OTR I think these days, just to show the possibilities of tailoring, a lot of what is on offer in suits for example everywhere is very commercial and or not very sophisticated in terms of design. Its also very good to just show people who you are and what your aesthetic is.

andreyb2

Reaction score
Not sure this matters, but a few more bits on Len Logsdail's whereabouts, using his own words:

My first job after tailoring school was with Thresher & Glenny just of the Haymatket. It was a beautiful town house with one operating fireplace in the showroom downstairs.

Andrey

ryantanner512

Reaction score
Does Richard Anderson cut each and one of his suits for his bepoke customers or is he only the manager of the firm nowadays and no longer cut and tailor his suits?

bboysdontcryy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Was in London yesterday, and I was pleasantly surprised at how well everything fit during the basted. My impression is that Richard appears to take a highly methodical approach to assessing fit. It's almost as if he's going through a mental checklist while circling me and chaulking up various areas for attention. He's very affable - as you would expect - yet it's clear that the task at hand is what drives the interaction and fuels his focus. A very different set of intangibles as compared to my Mina fittings.

Overall, it was a very successful basted, and I really like the lines which are starting to take shape. We've finalized details such as 1-button closure with flapped pockets, 2 pockets for the waistcoat, and single pleat and cuffs for the trousers. Unfortunately, we had some issues with the camera so this is the best I can do for pics. Next fitting in 3 weeks.

Any updates on the completed suit?

medtech_expat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I actually picked up the suit in late July while Richard was on holiday. Brian asked me to wear it a few times and come back in, so I'm scheduled with Richard two weeks from now. There are a few minor areas for attention (e.g. sleeve rotation) but overall have been happy with the result. Will post more pics once these mods are complete.

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I spoke with Brian Lishak for about a half hour in the Fall of 2000.
He was still at Huntsman and it was a rainy mid-week morning
with no clients in the shop. He discussed Savile Row , the clients,
and the basic economics of the bespoke business. He is a very intelligent
and charming guy. I was there looking for RTW trousers, which they sold
at the time. They didn't have my size.

Last edited:

gusvs

Reaction score

I actually picked up the suit in late July while Richard was on holiday. Brian asked me to wear it a few times and come back in, so I'm scheduled with Richard two weeks from now. There are a few minor areas for attention (e.g. sleeve rotation) but overall have been happy with the result. Will post more pics once these mods are complete.

Eddie, any pics of the finished suit yet? Really looking forward to see the result!

taxgenius

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads