• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Accutane (?)

UncleFes

Reaction score
I had adult acne for years and years and FINALLY my dermo said try Accutane. It works. However, they are not kidding about the side effects. Although the depression angle is overplayed because of media hype, I had (a) EXTREMELY dry skin, to the point my lips would crack and bleed if I forgot to balm them, and nosebleeds as well, (b) the occasional broken blood vessel in my eye (like, from a sneeze) which, when couple with the cracked lips, made people wonder when I was going to lean over and bite someone because, after all, that's how the zombie virus is passed, (c) lots of muscle and joint pain. I tool ibuprofen constantly, usually 3-4 at a whack. It was pretty rough. I had some good friends wonder if I was taking chemo or something, that's how bad I looked and felt. My skin was so dry I'd bump into things, like you do all the time, with my hands and fingers, and little chunks of skin would sort of get knocked off and start bleeding. It was NOT a pleasant time. I was a total grump, too, to the people around me.

That said, I haven't had acne since - I mean, GONE. Seriously. Patches of dry skin sometimes where I didn't used to get them, yes. But not one pimple. Accutane works. If you can get through the side effects (I won't kid you, there were days when I wanted to hang it up), it WILL get rid of your acne.

cmrocks

Reaction score
If you want to try something else before you try the drug, I would suggest either hot yoga or just a sauna. I started doing hot yoga a year ago and my skin has become amazingly clear from all the sweating.

fg0d

Reaction score
I started Accutane, and now I'm on my 7th day. My doctor prescribed me Prednisone to make the IB more subtle, and my skin was amazing for 10 days, and the next 10, when I lowered my dose, it started to break out a bit. Now, I've broken out by my lips, on my chin, but basically just whiteheads and only one cyst. It's not bad so far, I wish I wouldn't break out on my lips, it's the worst spot. I'm on 40mg a day right now, and I weight about 165. How was the first week for you guys who already have used Tane?

Brian278

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by fg0d
I started Accutane, and now I'm on my 7th day. My doctor prescribed me Prednisone to make the IB more subtle, and my skin was amazing for 10 days, and the next 10, when I lowered my dose, it started to break out a bit. Now, I've broken out by my lips, on my chin, but basically just whiteheads and only one cyst. It's not bad so far, I wish I wouldn't break out on my lips, it's the worst spot. I'm on 40mg a day right now, and I weight about 165. How was the first week for you guys who already have used Tane?

-PS: I know I really shouldnt be asking this, but does anyone know where drugs can be obtained without prescription? I'm not looking for painkillers or anything, but it's for a friend who can't obtain adderall with a prescription. PM me. Thanks.

I honestly can't remember my first week very well (I didn't get worse), but I know that I saw significant, nearly complete results by the end of the first month. Stick with it, be disciplined about taking it every day and you should be very satisfied at the end of the treatment.

fg0d

Reaction score
Day 15, my breakout is stopping now. My lips are getting very dry. I get dry skin around the mouth, usually the kind i can just wash off and moisturize. I hope my doctor can give me a antibiotic so it can stop the inflamation of my breakout. My cheeks are clearing and it looks like as soon as the breakout stops, my skin will be looking good.

GeeGee

Reaction score
Don't let everyone scare you in here, accutane works differently for everyone. It's been about a year since I've taken it and I'm healthy and my skin looks much better than it once was.

dusty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just to give you another data point, I took it when I was 22. I didn't go through the fill six months because my insurance ran out and my dermatologist didn't think I needed it. Now it is a year later and my skin is a world better, but to stay completely clear I do need to use 2.5% BP once a day. As for side effects, I just had chapped lips and a bit of joint pain. The only lasting side effect is my ankles pop more frequently than they used to.

stylish

Reaction score
Try 'Clean' by Zirh. It seriously does the **** away! I used to have annoying acne in my mid-teens (for about 3 years, just like you)- tried just about everything. Just by chance I stumbled accross Zirh from the clever people at men.style forum and it's worked wonders ever since. I was so shocked at how clear my skin had become after only 6 months. Other people seemed to notice as well.

Here's what I think you should do:
1. Stop worrying!
2. Test try anything from Zirh and Anthony Logistics and stick with it for at least 6 months. The best site for men's shaving/skincare/grooming is mankind.co.uk (and NO, I don't work for them if you were wondering). I've placed so many orders from them and the goods have always arrived earlier than expected, with free samples as a bonus.
3. Sorry I got a bit carried away. It's also good you establish a routine that works for you (consider your skintype- this is important to understanding a good skincare regimen).
4. Best of luck!

fg0d

Reaction score
I don't really think I can use any of those products on Accutane. It might cause more drying, and that's the last thing I need.

Brian278

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't really think I can use any of those products on Accutane. It might cause more drying, and that's the last thing I need.

+1

Wait until your off Accutane for a month or two before you try any of that. Zirh Clean in particular is very aggressive, combine that with Accutane and you'll be peeling like crazy. Stick to something really mild, like Cetaphil or Baxter's.

fg0d

Reaction score
Brian, did you notice that when your lips started getting really dry than your skin started improving?

Edit: I remember wanting to start at 20mg and easing my way in. Thank god I didnt. I would have probably had another breakout when upping. Good thing I started at 40mg, at day 15, the side effects are not a problem at all. But I'll have to wait it out and see, I guess.

Brian278

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Brian, did you notice that when your lips started getting really dry than your skin started improving?

Edit: I remember wanting to start at 20mg and easing my way in. Thank god I didnt. I would have probably had another breakout when upping. Good thing I started at 40mg, at day 15, the side effects are not a problem at all. But I'll have to wait it out and see, I guess.

I can't really remember but that sounds about right (I was on it six years ago).

fg0d

Reaction score
It's been one night and I've seen a major improvement. As soon as the acne caused by the breakout on my lower lip goes down, I'll have clear skin. I hope this helps with my redmarks too. I think those topicals I use all gave me redmarks, I regret ever using any topicals. I heard aloe vera gel works, but I've been using it for 2 months with no results...

michaeljkrell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Coming in late on this one but I used accutane when I was 16 and I am very glad I did. Like everyone has said before, you get really dry. I don't think my hair every got oily when I was using it. My dryest parts would be around my nose. I usually had to bring in some moisturizer to school and use a couple times during the school day.

The only residual results that I experienced was continued dryness in my eyes. This could have been a combination of things, but my eyes stayed pretty dry for about four years after accutane. It is a miracle worker...

fg0d

Reaction score
Do you mind if I ask how tall you are Michael? I know its random, but I've heard accutane effects bone growth, and it even says so on the box, but it's a very rare side effect. Just wondering, cause you were about my age when you took it, and I'm hoping to grow a bit taller than 5' 11". Thanks.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads