• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

About Horween Rowdy Leather…

Fear and Loathing

Reaction score
Can we nail down the exact tanning process of Horween’s Rowdy?

There seems to be some confusion/differing ideas about what Rowdy is exactly…

I’ve seen Rowdy referred to as “a CXL that is combination chrome and vegetable tanned”. Knowing that standard CXL is also chrome and vegetable dyed, I did a bit of a deep dive into that… One explanation for that scenario seems to be that while standard CXL is hot-stuffed, Rowdy is fat-liquored and waxed.

I’ve also seen Rowdy referred to as a combination vegetable-oil tannage. This description is interesting for a number of reasons…
1, “oil-tanning” isn’t really a tan as much as it is an extensive post-tan treatment… Either vegetable or chrome tanned leather can be “oil-tanned leathers”… So this begs the question- is Rowdy a true combination tan leather, like CXL? Is it chrome-tanned then vegetable-tanned like standard CXL, and then given the “oil-tan” treatment?
2, it’s interesting that in this scenario, Rowdy is always referred to as “vegetable-oil tanned”- the wording seeming to signify that a vegetable tan is the initial tan, and the “oil-tan” comes second… Which, if the Rowdy is in fact not a combination-tanned leather, makes sense. If the Rowdy is indeed a combination-tan similar to CXL, then a chrome-tan would come first, a vegetable tan second, and an “oil-tan” post-tan treatment third. Or perhaps Rowdy flips the original recipe for CXL, and undergoes a vegetable tan as the initial tan, before being finished with a chrome tan, then an ”oil-tan” applied? I’ve never heard of a combination veg/chrome tan going with a vegetable tan first, but who knows.

Finally, I’ve also heard Rowdy described as “Dublin that has been oil-tanned”. As we know, Essex, Dublin, and Derby are all variations of the same Horween vegetable-tanned product… Essex is the leather with no finish, Dublin is the leather with a wax finish, and Derby is a tumbled version of Dublin. So would Rowdy really be a Dublin with an “oil-tan” finishing treatment? I would imagine for an “oil-tan” process to take, the leather would need to be free of waxes at the outset. After the “oil-tan” process, a wax-stuffing process would be feasible. So could Rowdy actually be Essex that has been “oil-tanned” then wax?

In any event, some stuff to think about. Does anyone know for sure?

ld111134

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wish I knew, and I used to live less than a mile from the tannery.

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
True story: You can call up Horween and the president will quite literally call you back within a half an hour. So you might want to contact them with your inquiry and post the results here.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads