• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A Tale of Two Shoes: Fixing a pair of Bruno Maglis Photoessay

von Rothbart

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wow! Bravo! This is one Herculean post, thanks for sharing. The irony is that Meaculpa put more labor and love into the restoration than the original construction and the restored shoes ended up better than the original. Bravo again to a real artisan!

aportnoy

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Not only is this a great thread, I can personally attest to the quality of Dimitri's work. He gallantly ressurected a pair of burgundy EG Malverns for me. They are now one of my favorite shoes. Send this man your shoes, sit back, and watch genious at work.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I think this is somewhat similar to those car restoration photo essays where the owner spent about $60,000 restoring an automobile that is really only worth $20,000 at most.

A labor love, which is really much more commendable.

kcgreg

Reaction score
That was one amazing thread of an artist or artists at work. I have never enjoyed reading a thread so much in my life. I have never encountered the first thread before the crash but this is truly amazing - very substantial.

You definitely fit the old definition of art in Latin where it reads: "Ars est recta ratio factibilium" and it is in your hands that the "factibilium" is realised and perfected. Truly amazing my friend - creme de la creme of threads.

Patrick Bateman

Reaction score
Originally Posted by aportnoy
Not only is this a great thread, I can personally attest to the quality of Dimitri's work. He gallantly ressurected a pair of burgundy EG Malverns for me. They are now one of my favorite shoes. Send this man your shoes, sit back, and watch genious at work.

Andrew, by any chance do you have photos?

The False Prophet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
An inspirational apotheosis. They actually look better, I think, than off the shelf shoes ever do: more character, more life.

And while I know that your motivations in putting this up were didactic rather than commercial, I shall PM you with a view to perhaps having some work done.

Cheers,

Eden

Demeter

Reaction score
Thank you all for your very kind words. I'm very happy that you all found the essay worthwhile and that you liked the results. Andrew, I can't thank you enough for your vote of confidence, as well as patronage and kindness. kcgreg, you give me too much credit! I'm practically blushing here! For those that were wondering about the cost - typically the cost of resoling a pair of shoes ranges from $95-125CDN, depending on whether the sole is stitched or cemented and some other minor details. If the refinishing is as intensive as what the pictured Maglis called for, then that is extra, since it is quite time consuming. Again, thank you all very much. Also, thank you to nerdykarim for putting this up on the wiki (I'm glad you found it worthy!
blush.gif
) and of course to j, for creating and maintaining this wonderful sartorial bazaar.

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
That is an amazing renovation. Incredible. I've added Norris to my Rolodex.

Many thanks Meaculpa.
smile.gif

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
i'm very glad this thread was resurrected. these are the kind of threads that makes this forum and its senior members inspirational to the "noobs". thanks meaculpa!

paper clip

Reaction score
Great thread and beautiful work, meaculpa. eBay should give you a commission due to the number of people who will buy used shoes and give them to their local cobbler to 'resurrect'.

Query: I bought a bottle of edge dressing, but after one use, the swab/stick applicator turned into a rock. It looks like the onbe you pictured in this thread. There is no hole in the lid so I cannot keep the swab immersed and soft, so what can I do? Thanks!

Best wishes,

tweedlesinpink

Reaction score
one year on bump!

some of the photos are down, at least on my computer, is it just me? does anyone have a saved copy?

nerdykarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tweedlesinpink
one year on bump!

some of the photos are down, at least on my computer, is it just me? does anyone have a saved copy?

There should be a copy on the Styleforum Wiki page. I also have a pdf of the original post (before the great SF crash).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads