• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A Sam (and David) Hober Tie Appreciation Thread

ndrew

Reaction score
@Captain Waffles:

Swatch sets here.

Grossa > Prometeo > Piccola > Fina in terms of the weave.

Website quotes 2 weeks for delivery at the moment.

You can see from @Patrick R's response that a knot more substantial than a four in hand will be tricky to pull off with a grenadine (unless you pull it tight at each step of tying the knot, which is stretches the tie and may reduce longevity if you're putting too much stress on the seams).

Can't really help you with colours as I'm still figuring it out myself - besides the burgundy prometeo and a green grossa, I own a buttload of dark blue/navy ties in different patterns/splashes of colour. Nothing too exciting, but I'm chasing a dark green and a dark brown tie at the moment (patterned).

I went straight for the burgundy without ordering swatches, as it appeared as the darkest red on my monitors (and also a Mac and my phone :p) which is what I was after since I wanted to avoid the bright red power tie look. If you're not too fussed on the exact shade of the "dark red" then you might get away with skipping the swatches ... but if you're trying to settle on what grenadine weave to purchase, you might as well hold back a little and get say a dark red in the fina and a burgundy in the grossa for example - that way you get an accurate representation of both the colours and the weaves to help with making an informed decision going forward.

It would be a bit saddening to grab three finas, then realise you prefer grossas or vice versa (unless you can afford to have the exact same colours in both fina and grossa). Just my 2 cents though, and it's your decision at the end of the day! :)

SJR3

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
+1 on striped ties. I'd go with a stripe over the Shepard's check strictly from a versatility standpoint. In my opinion, simpler is better for striped ties. Hard to beat a simple double bar stripe in classic colors.

Sherpard's check is considered pretty formal and I would only wear it to a wedding. That said, every tie collection (even a small one) needs a classic formal/wedding tie in my opinion, so maybe you should keep it in your order.

As for the darkness of the burgundy fina, it is fairly dark, though not as dark as it appears on the Hober website.

Here's mine:

IMG_1710.JPG

It's a great color. For reference, four in hand knot, 3.5 inch wide tie.

ericgereghty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I also think that you should have some stripes in your collection. Here are two examples of browns and blues. I now realize I don't have many tie photos on my computer. I'll fix that the next few weeks.

tell me about these ties. Latter I’m pretty confident saying is Vanda wool/silk? Pretty excellent in any event. What’s the first?
Also, that’s exactly how a shepherd’s check ought to be worn.

Waffles, if you’re in the public sector (particularly government), you should steer clear of Hober. Doesn’t carry nearly enough name recognition, and far too tasteful.

Patrick R

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
tell me about these ties. Latter I’m pretty confident saying is Vanda wool/silk? Pretty excellent in any event. What’s the first?

First, you should buy all of your ties from Sam Hober! All of them. ALL OF THEM!!!

The first striped tie is a Mogador from H.N. White. The second, you are correct, is a Vanda.

Captain Waffles

Reaction score
What do you mean 'name recognition'? Does it matter if I am wearing Brioni ties as opposed to Hober's in government? I can't imagine that people actually care about that as opposed to the look/appropriateness for work environments?

Thanks SJR3 - That's perfect I think I will grab a burgundy fina too.

Captain Waffles

Reaction score
Now, correct me if I am wrong, but I feel as if striped ties are more appropriate for older gentleman. I can't imagine myself wearing one right now at this age.

ericgereghty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Now, correct me if I am wrong, but I feel as if striped ties are more appropriate for older gentleman. I can't imagine myself wearing one right now at this age.
This is an absurd viewpoint. If you dislike them, don’t wear them, but there is absolutely nothing related to age that would prevent you from wearing them. In fact, many repp ties (I believe) are tied to clubs/schools/colleges, designed to be worn by children/young people.

In regards to your previous post, just some ribbing at our government’s expense. Not many folks in the public sector are on a Hober level, sartorially speaking, in my estimation

Captain Waffles

Reaction score
Hmm, would you care to expand? I have never gotten into this level of detail before with clothing - what do you mean in regards to the point about 'ribbing' and are you suggesting that Hober is too good for the government?

Patrick R

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

You're wrong. But by all means, don't buy what you don't want to wear. If you can't imagine yourself wearing one, definitely don't buy one. But I challenge you to start looking more closely at striped ties.

SJR3

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I'm 29 and I like striped ties. But I admit my tastes might lean more “old man” than most my age. :tongue:

(But no, there is nothing inherently “old man” about striped ties whatsoever.)

Patrick R

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
BTW can you guys recommend brands that are similar to Hober? They seem to make excellent ties, but I am curious about other varieties.

#1 There is no better value in quality neckwear than Sam Hober.
#2 If you are looking for other recommendations, do it somewhere other than the Sam Hober thread. Private messages or other threads are more appropriate.

ericgereghty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hmm, would you care to expand? I have never gotten into this level of detail before with clothing - what do you mean in regards to the point about 'ribbing' and are you suggesting that Hober is too good for the government?
1. Politicians generally dress like putzes.
2. Hober is wayyyyyyyyy too good for the US government.
3. Other well received SF favorites are Cappelli, Vanda, and Yellow Hook. All have their virtues. Vanda is the most lightly constructed of the bunch. Yellow Hook the most casual (in regards to fabric) of the bunch. Likely very much not government friendly. Cappelli is a mix of the two. Hober, in my estimation, provides the largest overall selection. Gerald and Diana (Vanda), Rob and Courtney (YH), and Patrizio (Cappelli) are, like David, all top notch folks, though Gerald WILL judge you if you request a 2.5” tie, as will I.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads