• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A Sam (and David) Hober Tie Appreciation Thread

facet

Reaction score
3.14 is fine if you’re pretty slender. I personally get mine at 3.25 from SH as I find that to be a pretty good compromise width. If you plan on getting anything less than 3, I wouldn’t bother as it would just be a waste of money. Just go with a cheap brand like the tie bar or something.

jdp234

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've only got knits from KW, but am generally a fan of their products. I'm sure the grens are very nice. But given the price parity between SH and KW I'd go for the customizable option every time.

What do you mean by "the proper knot size"?

Captain Waffles

Reaction score
Hmmm - that's the thing so far I only understand the width/length/4 in hand knot aspects of a tie - I am not even sure what how SH 'customizes' ties apart from those features (e.g. interlining, folds, etc.).

I guess the size of the knot depends on the knot your tying...

Captain Waffles

Reaction score
Does anyone have any links to top notch guides for ties? The websites I visit seem to all say something different (e.g. tip should end at top of belt vs in the middle).

SJR3

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Does anyone have any links to top notch guides for ties? The websites I visit seem to all say something different (e.g. tip should end at top of belt vs in the middle).

http://putthison.com/tagged/The-Necktie-Series (Start reading at the bottom, intro/part 1)

And http://putthison.com/post/9628971136/the-fit-and-proportions-of-a-your-tie-the-fit

Check out all the articles tagged "ties" on Put This On. If you have or are developing an interest in menswear, you'll have hours of interesting reading content, and you'll know all you ever need to know about ties.

Also, the FAQ and Tie Order Guide on the Hober website have very solid information.

Last edited:

ndrew

Reaction score
Hmmm I was thinking that 3 inch ties are too wide for my taste and thought anything between 2.5 - 2.75 inches was good. I am 5 ft 6, average build.

I'm a 5'7" twig and I've settled on 8cm (3.15") with Hober. Maybe you need to spend a little longer thinking about this (and wearing your current selection around) before you put in a Hober order - how does a slim tie look with your jacket buttoned/unbuttoned, on/off? Are you happy with how the knot looks? How does this compare against your 3" tie?

Like @ericgereghty, I have also buried all my ties that are slimmer than 8cm. :D I can see your hesitation though, as I cannot imagine myself ever buying a 9cm (~3.5") tie. For some reason, that extra centimetre is a really strong psychological barrier.

How comparable are the grenadines at KentWang? Also - does anyone have any suggestions on how to achieve the proper knot size?

What sort of knot are you tying with a grenadine? A four in hand is suggested because anything more than that will add bulk. I have gotten away with a Pratt in the past, but it has to be tight to not look clowny (downside is this stretches the tie).

If you are ordering through Hober, you put your preferred knot and size into the comment and David does the rest. David is also really responsive via email if you want to discuss before placing an order.

Other food for thought - at 5'7" and wearing trousers around my natural waist, off the rack ties at 57-59" are too long for me. Hober hits the sweet spot at 51-53" (with a four in hand). I ruled out the KW grenadine because of length, so it might be worthwhile thinking about it twice before you dive into it.

Count de Monet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It should also be noted that David can alter the width at the portion of the tie comprising the knot, thus resulting in a "fatter" or "skinnier" knot without otherwise changing the front blade width -- if that makes sense.

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Short answer:
  • If you have a perfect tie, talk to David about re-creating it.
  • If you have a tie perfect in all but one detail, talk to David about fixing it.
  • Don't be afraid to send him photos while asking his advice.

Captain Waffles

Reaction score
Does anyone have a list of all the customizable options for ties that David makes that come with no extra cost? e.g. length, width. It would be helpful for me to become acquainted with these options.

Captain Waffles

Reaction score
Does anyone have a list of all the customizable options for ties that David makes that come with no extra cost? e.g. length, width. It would be helpful for me to become acquainted with these options.

ndrew

Reaction score

I am also looking at the same Macclesfield since it's described as a "dark green" base - but the URL says black with a touch of green. Would you say it's more dark green or a black? @stro - would appreciate if you could weigh in too since you have the same one. :)

Worst-case I'll have to spring for a swatch if I can't figure it out.

Length (up to 60"), width, thickness of interlining, the pattern (shape) of the tie depending on your preferred knot and knot size and the colour of your bar tack are free off the top of my head (if you don't specify bar tack colour, you just get given one - I don't know what sort of process David/his employees go through for selecting a colour).

Otherwise options like the number of folds, untipped and handrolled edges or monogramming will incur extra charges. If you're getting a reppe or stripe tie, flipping the direction of the stripes to be "British" will also cost extra.

ericgereghty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I mean, his website is probably a decent place to look lol.

Note: probably is a passive way of saying definitely. Everything is on his site.

jdp234

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am also looking at the same Macclesfield since it's described as a "dark green" base - but the URL says black with a touch of green. Would you say it's more dark green or a black? @stro - would appreciate if you could weigh in too since you have the same one. :)

Worst-case I'll have to spring for a swatch if I can't figure it out.

Length (up to 60"), width, thickness of interlining, the pattern (shape) of the tie depending on your preferred knot and knot size and the colour of your bar tack are free off the top of my head (if you don't specify bar tack colour, you just get given one - I don't know what sort of process David/his employees go through for selecting a colour).

Otherwise options like the number of folds, untipped and handrolled edges or monogramming will incur extra charges. If you're getting a reppe or stripe tie, flipping the direction of the stripes to be "British" will also cost extra.

Definitely dark green

DCTieGuy

Reaction score
Does anyone have a lighter green color Macclesfield that they can post pictures of? Looking for something between dark green and lime green.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads