A Sam (and David) Hober Tie Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by in stitches, May 24, 2011.

Tags:
  1. ericgereghty

ericgereghty Senior member

Thirded on David's service. I'm a bit neurotic, so I'm sure I was a pain in the ass prior to setting up my first orders, with the back and forth, but David was always gracious and timely in his replies.

Definitely one of the best around.

2. Concordia

Concordia Senior member Dubiously Honored

First, figure out when you'll be wearing the ties, while remembering the jackets they'll be going with. Then cover those bases, while keeping some flexibility until you have a chance to buy more. :)

If I were going to go off to another city and only able to take four ties, I'd start with a midnight blue solid. There are a lot of options there, including faille, Oxford weave, grenadine, and Mogador. Figure out the texture that will work with the largest number of jackets.

If you really want to be safe, get a dark wine color from the same list of fabrics-- not necessarily the same one as your dark blue.

Next, a discreet pattern that could work with a blazer, a tweed, and more or less all of your suits would be useful. Some Macclesfield patterns work pretty well in that regard. If you have allegiance to a college stripe that isn't too obnoxious, that would also be good.

Finally, get a tie that is more specialized. Decide if you want something a little more festive for fancy dinners/opera, or weddings, or something obviously seasonal like Italian linen or a challis wool pattern.

In general, though, keep it simple for the first batch. You don't want to have everyone rolling their eyes every Wednesday when you show up at the office wearing the one with flamingos or Playboy bunnies. And if you're the kind of guy who always looks exactly correct wearing a black grenadine, get four of those.

Last edited: May 14, 2017
  3. DCTieGuy

DCTieGuy Well-Known Member

Wearing my new yellow gold and pink on dark navy blue Macclesfield (MCT-443). I take the worst pictures; the colors are washed out in my bright office.

IMG_1547.JPG

4. DCTieGuy

Listed this tie on eBay for $30: http://www.ebay.com/itm/-/162516871529?

5. DCTieGuy

Another new Hober Macclesfield.

IMG_1549.JPG

6. Aerostat

Aerostat Well-Known Member

How did you have your navy garza grossa constructed? 4 fold, 6 fold, lined etc?

7. Count de Monet

Count de Monet Senior member

Four folds per David's suggestion for his grenadines. Otherwise, the knots could be too big for some tastes.

All my subsequently purchased Hober grenadines are likewise four folds. Also, are are lined. Very happy with that set up.

8. scurvyfreedman

scurvyfreedman Senior member

How tall are you? 64" length seems so long. Then again, I'm 5'6" so I balk at anything over 57.

9. DCTieGuy

I added some updated pictures on the eBay listing.

To answer your question, I'm 5' 11'', have a long torso and a thick neck.

10. varsityreds0123

varsityreds0123 Senior member

Recommendation: buy (and do not hesitate to do so) a Hober oxford weave tie. Impeccable knot, and dimples beautifully with extraordinary ease.

11. DCTieGuy

Picture, please!

12. archibaldleach

archibaldleach Senior member

Seconded, though I'd add that pretty much all of my Hober ties have great looking knots and dimple nicely.

13. SJR3

SJR3 Well-Known Member

So after @Claghorn posted his unlined 4-fold grenadine with that sublime knot and dimple, I had to order one for myself. This is my Navy Piccola #8 in the same configuration:

IMG_1471.JPG
    IMG_1468.JPG

My knot isn't quite as good as Clag's, but this was my first attempt, and I'm still very pleased. Will probably make this my default construction for Hober grenadines going forward. I love how light and airy the tie is. Also love the shade of navy of this particular fabric. It's perfect. If you decide to go with an unlined grenadine, order about 1" shorter than you usually do to account for stretching.

(P.S. Wow, the new SF interface is terrible. Took me 3x as long to make this post with the buggy and non-intuitive quote and image functions. Also, can I no longer display 100 (or whatever the max on the old site was) posts per page?? A big THUMBS DOWN, SF admin. The whole feel and function is very clumsy and not user friendly. The old site was fine. If it ain't broke, don't fix it!)

Last edited: May 21, 2017
  14. Claghorn

Claghorn Senior member Dubiously Honored

Yeah, that's 3.5. I don't recall having anything special done with the knot area. That may be a half-Windsor knot. This is what it looks like with a 4IH knot
    IMG_2313.JPG