• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A Sam (and David) Hober Tie Appreciation Thread

ksicat0

Reaction score
Hi everybody,

I'm thinking of buying my first couple ties from Sam Hober and wanted some opinions on what to buy.

These will be my first business ties so I wanted basic stuff that I could use with anything. What I found upon research was getting navy, dark red, and maybe black. But grenadine fina or grossa? Would it be a waste to get them all in the same weave?

SJR3

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Hi everybody,

I'm thinking of buying my first couple ties from Sam Hober and wanted some opinions on what to buy.

These will be my first business ties so I wanted basic stuff that I could use with anything. What I found upon research was getting navy, dark red, and maybe black. But grenadine fina or grossa? Would it be a waste to get them all in the same weave?

You're on the right track. Those 3 colors would be excellent first Hober ties. It's personal preference, but I'd get a VERY dark red i.e. burgundy. If you know which weave you prefer, then sure, get them all the same. But if grenadine ties are new to you, I'd get at least one in a smaller weave (fina or piccola) and one in a larger weave (grossa or prometeo).

You could consider getting one of the ties with white pindots. I'd keep the black one solid, though, preferably a small weave grenadine. It would work for business and be appropriate for a funeral as well. Then maybe a burgundy large weave grenadine. And either a solid navy or navy with white dots (not necessarily a grenadine). If I could only own 3 ties, it'd probably be these 3.

Kelvin0683

Reaction score
Hi everybody,

I have a tie in Brown Chocolate and it works really well with blue shirts. It's really nice especially during the Fall/Winter seasons.

ericgereghty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd advocate for a tighter weave on the Grenadine (fina, piccola). If we're being honest, any tie is considered "formal" in most cultures office cultures nowadays (speaking only for the US), so the idea that grossa skews more casual is probably overblown...I just happen to find the tighter/smaller weaves preferable

ksicat0

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice guys! I'm not sure if my monitor is just not displaying the color nicely but burgundy looks super dark. Like almost brown to me. That's why I think dark red looks better but everyone recommends burgundy. Does it look better in color?

ericgereghty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Far from brown. You'll know it's a red. I don't think you'd err going dark red either though.

I have a burgundy in the piccola weave. Will take a picture tomorrow in better (natural) lighting.

afterthesuit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Burgundy fina:

20170314_155338000_iOS.jpg

archibaldleach

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi everybody,

Navy, dark red / burgundy, and black are all fine colors. You might consider what color shirts you'll be wearing them with most often (if you are likely going light blue for shirts, then as much as I think a black tie is a staple, something in a darker green could be a good choice along with the navy / dark red).

Fina versus grossa is entirely up to you. I prefer gross myself, but it's a matter of taste. Fina might technically be considered a bit more formal, but it's a minor difference. If you like one weave best, there's nothing wrong with getting everything in one weave. I'd consider getting some sort of patterned tie in addition to the two solids, though, and you might step outside grenadine for that.

ksicat0

Reaction score
I don't mind a patterned tie but anything you particularly recommend?

As you said, I'm mainly going to wear white or light blue shirts. I've more or less decided on a black fina and a burgundy grossa. But I haven't picked the last one.

archibaldleach

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ In my experience, patterns end up becoming a matter of taste and personal preference in a lot of cases. I could recommend a few things, but it really comes down to what you like. I'd say that if you have only a few ties, less is more (i.e. subtle is better). Navy or dark green background given that you're going with black and burgundy grenadines. I'd go with a navy background, but you can't go wrong with either over the long-term.

CLTesquire

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@ksicat0 i think a macclesfield print with a navy background OR a navy with white dots would be perfect for a third tie. Either will go with anything.

A black grenadine is commonly referred to as a staple but I've worn mine maybe 2-3 times. I get a lot more mileage from a midnight navy grenadine or either of the 2 navy ties mentioned above.

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
@ksicat0 i think a macclesfield print with a navy background OR a navy with white dots would be perfect for a third tie. Either will go with anything.

A black grenadine is commonly referred to as a staple but I've worn mine maybe 2-3 times. I get a lot more mileage from a midnight navy grenadine or either of the 2 navy ties mentioned above.
Yeah-- probably depends on your complexion or your personality, but I'd worry about wearing pure black most of the time, at least with the clothes I already have. Midnight blue ticks most of the same boxes without looking so dramatic; of course, it doesn't have to be grenadine to serve that purpose. Heavy reppe, challis, madder, Oxford weave, etc., could all fit in just fine.

ericgereghty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
#1. Black grens, especially in a tight weave, can be a very sexy accessory, but I'd fully advocate navy or black.

If nothing else, navy allows for use with both color shirts you mention. No such luck if you go black.

That said, white shirt and black gre is a look to be reckoned with

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads