• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A Sam (and David) Hober Tie Appreciation Thread

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
PP - glad to have influenced you. that houndstooth is awesome indeed.

jester - if it makes you happy, the next few hobers i want are all patterns. :)

Flyswatter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The answer, based also on David (Sam) feedback, is yes.

Ciao

Engi

Thanks! Yes, David also confirmed my hunch that these might stretch a bit more than usual.

And lol, jester, quit trolling us with your grenadine hate. :p I agree with everything that's been said above in defense of grenadines. They are my favorite ties, hands down. I do love me some wool, linen, and shantungs for all their texture, but like stitchy said, those tend to be seasonal and less formal. Grenadines reign supreme in terms of versatility, IMO.

mrjester

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
PP - glad to have influenced you. that houndstooth is awesome indeed.

jester - if it makes you happy, the next few hobers i want are all patterns.
smile.gif
I like that houndstooth too, actually. Just looked.

Sweet. Let's see some patterns up in this B***H!

scurvyfreedman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

no srsly, some people just love a solid tie. i do. often i prefer a solid tie to a pattern, even though a pattern would work.

I frequently wear patterned shirts and patterned squares, so I generally like solid ties. Grenadine gives texture without giving me another pattern. I also like royal oxford solid shirts, which have a small weave texture and looks great with a grenadine grossa larger texture.

Kroaker

Reaction score
I do understand where you are coming from with the same song analogy. The primary reason I started posting pics in this thread was that I wanted to show some non-grenadine Hober ties because the few (relatively speaking) non-grenadine pics did influence me to try them and I liked them at least as much as the grenadines.

A case in point is in the first post of the entire thread where in stiches posted a pic of the peach houndstooth pattern tie. I wanted that one from the moment I saw the photo (took me a while as I stalked David's website for the day the material was replenished).

All that said, the same grenadine song is a classic that I do appreciate. Also, while we see a lot of grenadines on this site and particularly in this thread I have yet to see another soul IRL besides me wearing one, so they seem to be quite rare (at least in the space I occupy).
I'll second the notion that while this board and especially this thread talk a big grenadine game, in the real world, I haven't seen them worn. I'm the only one I know who wears them.

mrjester

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, same thing here. I've never seen one other than my one hanging up (and other one when Ed is off vacation). I come here because I like to see nice fits and a lot have grenadines. But I believe it was solved;

More grenadines here since it's the largest grenadine selection around.

pinkpanther

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'll second the notion that while this board and especially this thread talk a big grenadine game, in the real world, I haven't seen them worn. I'm the only one I know who wears them.

Well, same thing here. I've never seen one other than my one hanging up (and other one when Ed is off vacation). I come here because I like to see nice fits and a lot have grenadines. But I believe it was solved;

More grenadines here since it's the largest grenadine selection around.

TBH, the rarity of grenadines IRL is yet another thing that makes them appealing to me. I just make sure I give equal opportunity to the other great ties that David offers!

sevenfoldtieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^ Interesting conversation going here.

While I like grenadines, I don't necessarily find them more appealing than non-grenadine silk ties. But they are certainly unique. For me, Granadines are best done in solids. I find that I like non-grenadines for stripes and pindots. My latest tie acquisition was a non-solid Robert Talbott Sevenfold Grenadine. The Hober currently en route to me is an oxford silk.

To each their own.

archibaldleach

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

TBH, the rarity of grenadines IRL is yet another thing that makes them appealing to me.  I just make sure I give equal opportunity to the other great ties that David offers!

Agree with this completely. Just for fun, I decided to go through my Hober order history. Turns out 11 of the 35 Hobers I've ordered are grenadines (9 solid, 1 pindot, 1 striped), 4 are diamond weaves, 2 are madder twills, plus three solid blues in various fabrics and a variety of patterns and stripes. I look at my 34 Hobers (one died a tragic death involving a drunk person bumping into me and spilling an entire glass of red wine on my shirt and tie), however, and rather than thinking I have enough ties, think things like "I could use some more diamond weaves and really want to check out the oxford weaves and wool ties." Mere obsession with grenadine would have been easier and better for my wallet.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I frequently wear patterned shirts and patterned squares, so I generally like solid ties. Grenadine gives texture without giving me another pattern. I also like royal oxford solid shirts, which have a small weave texture and looks great with a grenadine grossa larger texture.

yep.

I'll second the notion that while this board and especially this thread talk a big grenadine game, in the real world, I haven't seen them worn.  I'm the only one I know who wears them.

much of SF is like that. we are but a small collection of wackos in a world of billions.

TBH, the rarity of grenadines IRL is yet another thing that makes them appealing to me.  I just make sure I give equal opportunity to the other great ties that David offers!

yep.

mrjester

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah yeah yeah. Grenadines are lovely and rare IRL.

GIMME SOME PATTERNS!

Reminder: I do love Grenadines. Just being the Devils Advocate.

Last edited:

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
there is room for both in every mans closet. I definitely have more pattered ties than grenadines.

sevenfoldtieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
(one died a tragic death involving a drunk person bumping into me and spilling an entire glass of red wine on my shirt and tie),

Did the shirt die too? :D

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads