1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

A Sad Day for Couture, Men's Wearhouse Fires George Zimmer, "the 'I guarantee it' guy'

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by rnoldh, Jun 19, 2013.

1. rnoldh

rnoldh Senior member

Perhaps this should go in news and current events ( move it if you want, Mods ) but it seems like a classic menswear item if there ever was one.

The well known George Zimmer, co-founder of Men's Wearhouse has been fired. He was a SF "favorite"!

Men's Wearhouse fires the 'I guarantee it' guy

http://money.cnn.com/2013/06/19/news/companies/mens-wearhouse-zimmer/

I never had the "pleasure" of buying anything there, though MW is very well established in Houston.

Anyone care to comment on experiences with MW.

2. Claghorn

Claghorn Senior member Dubiously Honored

My first suit was from them. Black as well. I don't remember it well enough, thank god, to recall its quality.

I will say this though: George Zimmer is a staunch supporter of marijuana legalization.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2013
  3. dks202

dks202 Senior member

Nothing but cheap junk sold there mostly but his marketing was brilliant. Probably millions of guys "bought his tag line".

4. dapperdoctor

dapperdoctor Senior member

I was with a colleague the other day and we had our suits on for a function. At one point he proudly stated "I get all of my suits at Men's Warehouse." I thought of SF and chuckled inside.

5. othertravel

othertravel Senior member

Putting aside the quality of his clothes, I respect him for this:

"He also said that he and the ad agency Red Ball Tiger came up with his "I guarantee it" slogan in 1997, targeted towards men who were self conscious about their appearance.

In a separate interview with Business 2.0, he said that he doesn't run criminal background checks on prospective employees, but nonetheless loses less revenue to theft than other retailers.

"I believe in giving people a second chance," said Zimmer, a recovering alcoholic.

(From the article linked above)

Seems like a stand up guy, imo.

6. GusW

GusW Senior member Dubiously Honored

The link says the MW rents 1 out of 3 tuxedos in the country. That is some amazing volume.

Last weekend we stayed in a resort. A wedding party with 8 guys showed up in truly ugly and ill fitting formal/tuxedo-like outfits. Silver grey pants with a sheen that were wide enough for an elephants leg, 6-8" too long, funny cut tuxedo-like jackets and double vests. Real crazy stuff. One of them yelled out the next day that they had to "hurry and get these back to the Men's Warehouse".

I suppose the MW is just renting what people want. Just like #menswear chases skinny pants, 15 bracelets, unbuckled monks, I'm sure most guys feel they are really expressing themselves and are very cool by wearing unusual formal wear.

1 person likes this.
  7. Ianiceman

Ianiceman Senior member

I'm certain he's been running ads with the tag line "you're gonna like the way you look - I guarantee it," since long before 1997.

I thought it was his company - how do you get fired from your own company?

8. Claghorn

Claghorn Senior member Dubiously Honored

You go public.

9. TM79

TM79 Senior member

Yep, and it's a pretty common thing when you go public.

10. Displacement

Displacement Senior member

I think it's terrible what he did to that kid with the hoodie and skittles.

2 people like this.
  11. TM79

TM79 Senior member

Haha... nice.

12. why

why Senior member

:laugh:

Cue white hispanic joke in 3...2...1...

13. bourbonbasted

bourbonbasted Senior member

Meh, Zimmer's a good guy. He'll be fine. I think he posts here under Reevolving.

2 people like this.
  14. Texasmade

Texasmade Senior member

I heard on cnbc this morning that he only owns about 3.5% of the company.

15. VinnyMac

VinnyMac Senior member

Quote:
    It says that in the article.

16. ogredave

ogredave Member

I'm sure he'll be fine .. it's funny that his face is still on the website though. Seems pretty kneejerk .. postponing the annual shareholders meeting and not having the website ready to go.

17. wing8tesqw

wing8tesqw Well-Known Member

how tragic. Like when priceline fired Shatner

18. Ianiceman

Ianiceman Senior member

They must have hired him back cos he's still on with Penny from Big Bang down here.

Didn't realise GZ owned such a small share.

What's next? I heard the Most Interesting Man In The World selling Mexican beer is actually a Jewish fella from Long Island or something! Say it ain't so!

19. rnoldh

rnoldh Senior member

My initial OP was a bit facetious because of the hype and crap that MW sells.

But Zimmer was a force in menswear ( 2 Billion in sales ) and was a very smart businessman. The ads were pure genius.

And I didn't know that he was in a recovering alcoholic. In the early 1990s an acquaintance of mine had gone to prison for drug possession. When he got out no one would hire him except Men's Wearhouse. He went on to start his own business and do quite well. So kudos to Zimmer. But it is hard to believe that the company doesn't run background checks on prospective employees. Their liability would be enormous.

20. othertravel

othertravel Senior member

Want to steer this back to his deeds. You have to admit, not running background checks is a pretty bold move.