• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A Sad Day for Couture, Men's Wearhouse Fires George Zimmer, "the 'I guarantee it' guy'

ogredave

Reaction score
I'm sure he'll be fine .. it's funny that his face is still on the website though. Seems pretty kneejerk .. postponing the annual shareholders meeting and not having the website ready to go.

Ianiceman

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

how tragic.  Like when priceline fired Shatner

They must have hired him back cos he's still on with Penny from Big Bang down here.

Didn't realise GZ owned such a small share.

What's next? I heard the Most Interesting Man In The World selling Mexican beer is actually a Jewish fella from Long Island or something! Say it ain't so!

rnoldh

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Putting aside the quality of his clothes, I respect him for this:

"He also said that he and the ad agency Red Ball Tiger came up with his "I guarantee it" slogan in 1997, targeted towards men who were self conscious about their appearance.

In a separate interview with Business 2.0, he said that he doesn't run criminal background checks on prospective employees, but nonetheless loses less revenue to theft than other retailers.

"I believe in giving people a second chance," said Zimmer, a recovering alcoholic.

(From the article linked above)

Seems like a stand up guy, imo.

My initial OP was a bit facetious because of the hype and crap that MW sells.

But Zimmer was a force in menswear ( 2 Billion in sales ) and was a very smart businessman. The ads were pure genius.

And I didn't know that he was in a recovering alcoholic. In the early 1990s an acquaintance of mine had gone to prison for drug possession. When he got out no one would hire him except Men's Wearhouse. He went on to start his own business and do quite well. So kudos to Zimmer. But it is hard to believe that the company doesn't run background checks on prospective employees. Their liability would be enormous.

othertravel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Want to steer this back to his deeds. You have to admit, not running background checks is a pretty bold move.

rnoldh

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Want to steer this back to his deeds. You have to admit, not running background checks is a pretty bold move.

Yes, for a 2 Billion $ public company in sales it would be crazy.

What if they hired a person who had outstanding felony warrants or was a sex offender. Not a good business practice.

I'm pretty sure that when my friend was hired out of prison, they knew he had been in prison, knew why, and were giving him a second chance. Nothing wrong with that.

othertravel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Yes, for a 2 Billion $ public company in sales it would be crazy.

What if they hired a person who had outstanding felony warrants or was a sex offender. Not a good business practice.

I'm pretty sure that when my friend was hired out of prison, they knew he had been in prison, knew why, and were giving him a second chance. Nothing wrong with that.

That's true. I was thinking within the context of something like your friend's situation.

bertie

Reaction score

They must have hired him back cos he's still on with Penny from Big Bang down here.

Didn't realise GZ owned such a small share.

What's next? I heard the Most Interesting Man In The World selling Mexican beer is actually a Jewish fella from Long Island or something! Say it ain't so!

Wait - GZ is not MIMW - I thought they were the same person.

jrd617

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Zimmer to MW Board: "You're gonna regret this, I guarantee it."

mens-wearhouse.jpg

Last edited:

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
FML, just when I'm about to drop $300 on a rental from them.

Bounder

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

A sex offender? It is hard to imagine a place less likely to interest a sex offender than a Men's Wearhouse. Nor it is easy to imagine a population less vulnerable than 30-60 year old businessmen.

As for employee theft . . . well, I think MW is pretty safe there, too. I suppose you could flog stolen suits on ebay but all things considered fencing badly-made no-name suits can't be very easy.

But I think the idea of getting style advice from ex-cons is pretty great.

Last edited:

bourbonbasted

Cyber Eliitist
Reaction score

But I think the idea of getting style advice from ex-cons is pretty great.

The SA's insistence that "orange goes with everything" now makes total sense.

Bounder

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads