• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A Row of Opportunity: Savile Row's pivot towards RTW

gegarrenton

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Really? Who is better than Taub?

I wasn't referencing Taub (though some of his stuff would make Stevie Wonder flinch), I was referencing being impressed with G&H. If you impressed by crass commercialization, then fine, but there are plenty of examples of houses paying the bills with other revenue streams in a non vulgar manner. A&S, Poole, etc. have done it for years.

The comments from Clacher are dismaying.

“But I am not going to build a global business out of a craft that can make 800 to 1000 suits a year, maximum. It’s about turning Gieves & Hawkes No.1 Savile Row, Britain’s most famous tailoring company, into Gieves & Hawkes No.1 Savile Row, Britain’s most famous menswear brand.”

<insert vomit>

unbelragazzo

Jewfro
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

nah. not for making suits or for labor in general. italy is more expensive than the uk.

There are different factories and different levels of quality offered by each factory, so maybe it's hard to compare. But in terms of numbers, I would guess Italy is higher.

It would surprise me if wages in Italy were generally higher than wages in UK.

unbelragazzo

Jewfro
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
This is an interesting topic. Perhaps I can write more later, but I think SR bespoke and RTW are not generally a good fit (NPI) as they make different claims. In rare instances, Huntsman, for example it COULD make sense. But SR is really selling something different. The opposite of RTW in fact.

Grammaton Cleric

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

This is an interesting topic. Perhaps I can write more later, but I think SR bespoke and RTW are not generally a good fit (NPI) as they make different claims. In rare instances, Huntsman, for example it COULD make sense. But SR is really selling something different. The opposite of RTW in fact.

I don't believe SR has to be that one-dimensional though. If they can preserve, and perhaps feed off the marquee bespoke offering, I don't see why high quality RTW can't make a real impact in the menswear market.

Many of the big, prestigious luxury brands did also start off as haute couture shops (boasting prices, and workmanship, that would put any bespoke suit to shame).

Claghorn

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

SR RTW

gegarrenton

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Try typing a complete sentence - this isn't the NMWA thread where typing like a 11-yr old is encouraged.

And, yes - haute couture pieces have a ridiculous amount of workmanship (far, far above a men's bespoke suit) - there's a reason that most sell for $50K-$100K.

That ridiculous of an assertion doesn't deserve a complete sentence.

Workmanship has a vertical limit. Both the top of Haute Couture and top bespoke suits reach it. Plenty of Couture and bespoke does not.

Claghorn

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
That actually looks quite good (save the low buttoning pt). Are you carrying your shoes because it was hard to fit in a whole body shot? If so, I applaud your commitment to the iGent cause.

It's my lowest buttoning jacket actually, and has gotten praise for being such. I generally like mine a tad higher, but it's my only DB so I really have no idea where it should be in terms of what fits my body best.

I like the idea of a few SR tailors going RTW. I definitely like the idea a lot more than "entry level bespoke" which both cheapens the brand and muddies the water. I like some of the SR cuts, and while there are a few tailors out here that do decent Neapolitan/Florentine cuts, none that I know of does British. It's nice knowing that I can get that if I want it without going to England multiple times (also, Mrs. Claghorn will most definitely not allow me to spend more than $2,000 dollars on a suit. Ever. And I don't think there is a decent SR tailor that starts that low).

(and the shoe thing is a bit of a joke with the WAYWRN crowd. My wife and I don't wear shoes inside the house, and after there were suggestions that I actually don't own shoes or don't have feet or that I wear high heels, action needed to be taken)

Last edited:

Grammaton Cleric

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Workmanship has a vertical limit. Both the top of Haute Couture and top bespoke suits reach it. Plenty of Couture and bespoke does not.

Anyone with even a passing familiarity with men's bespoke and genuine haute couture will know that I'm not the one being ridiculous here. Top bespoke comes nowhere close to haute couture levels of workmanship. And, just to be clear, I'm not referring to any designer brand that throws the word couture on a cocktail dress.

On second thought, stick to your "100% no", "lolwut" responses - they were more instructive.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads