• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A problem with sizes

ester

Reaction score
Well its looks like Im a newbie here. Hello everyone. I'll start my first post with a style question I have for you. I am 15 years old, I stand 5' 7, and weigh about 140. I work out frequently and have muscular build. Most of the time Ive been a teenager I have worn my tshirts in a size S. Sometimes I feel this may be too tight, but when I try M's I feel they are too big. Is this just because I am not used to that size or should I still with the small? A lot of people say I look good with the small shirts but others say I need to get them bigger. If anyone has any advice it would be greatly appreciated.

freakseam

Reaction score
t-shirts sizes are sized 's' through 'xxl', etc.; they are not exact. you may be an 'in-between' size, which would explain why you can wear either the 's' or 'm'. also, some people prefer the more fitted or the less fitted look, which could explain the opinions you have received.

PeterMetro

Reaction score
I work out frequently and have muscular build.  ....others say I need to get them bigger.
I see guys dressed like this all the time, especially in Chelsea, where I live. I have one friend that seems to favor t-shirts befitting an pubescent.

People wear tight clothes to show off their physique. The problem is, they wear clothes that are too small. People that are in good shape make their clothes look better, providing that they fit. Go to a medium, or, wear a collared shirt.

ester

Reaction score
How would the collared shirt cause a difference in the size? Are you saying that they are meant to be smaller or bigger? I dont quite understand.

PeterMetro

Reaction score
Generally, people don't wear collared shirts than mold to their body like a second skin. There are exceptions - stretchy shortsleeved numbers you can buy at the mall. But generally, cotton dress shirts don't stretch - so to be able to move, they have to have some room. The same cannot be said of t-shirts: if you can fit you head through, you can wear them.

I'd just be wary of wearing anything that looked like it was painted on - it's never flattering, no matter how cut you are.

ester

Reaction score
This problem is especially troublesome for me when shopping through Polo Ralph Lauren. You see, a Polo S cuts my circulation off, yet when I put on one of their M's it makes me feel like I should be in a gangsta rap video.

davei

Reaction score
This problem is especially troublesome for me when shopping through Polo Ralph Lauren.  You see, a Polo S cuts my circulation off, yet when I put on one of their M's it makes me feel like I should be in a gangsta rap video.
You're in between sizes, go with the larger size for a looser fit, smaller size for a tighter fit. I wouldn't worry too much about it, other than being selective with your clothes. Since you're still growing, anything that fits well now probably won't fit well in a year. If you're in the habit of keeping your clothes for a long time (nothing to be ashamed of - I do) go with the larger size.

ester

Reaction score
What do you feel is more stylish for my body type, a loose fit or a tight fit?

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Actually the problem also has to do with how the mass designers cut ther clothing. For example the majority of the population is not going to be slim or muscular as you are so clothing is not tailored towards these minorities. This is especially true with American designers.

If you were shopping for such brands such as Fendi or Dior Homme the difference would be apparent. Dior Homme is especially slim, and fits me perfectly while the brands like Polo is really large especially around the chest, waist parts. It makes one look like one is wearing a women's blouse.

ester

Reaction score
Haha ya' well Im a Michigan resident so we dont have a very extensive selection of high end retailers, with the exception of the Somerset mall in Troy which has a promising selection.

davei

Reaction score
What do you feel is more stylish for my body type, a loose fit or a tight fit?
I'm inclined to go with whatever feels best. Dammit, we're men, we don't have to be uncomfortable to be stylish.
smile.gif
smile.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 106 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 106 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 37 12.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 47 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 42 14.5%

Forum statistics

Threads