• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A.P.C. The official thread for APC denim sizing and other questions.

bargerhm

Reaction score
Retired these last fall but I think I'm going to bring them back for the warm seasons.

3 years ~4 months, ~6 washes or so. They're tagged 28s, waist measures ~33 now. These are New Standards btw
Only reason they still fit is because APCs stretch a ton and I wore them from age 15 - 19 now, so they stretched slower over a long time as I grew. I like the destroyed state and they're so damn comfortable.

Here's my new pair of NS, tag size 31. Few days past 3 months now, soaked them a couple days before these pictures, they're coming along nicely, they sit a lot better since I soaked them and wore them wet.

Last edited:

lyxicon

Reaction score
This is the exact same problem for me too, well, not exact, I'd be in a 29, so I can always size up to the 30 and get the 33.5" inseam..hopefully. But it's a ******* shame, these would have been perfect.

According to the measurements on Context, the New Standard measurements for size 31 and 32 are identical except for the waist. I usually wear a 33 waist.

If I get a size 32, will the waist stretch out so that it's too big? I'm worried that a 31 won't stretch enough, or that I'll be uncomfortable unnecessarily. Sizing down to 31 won't change the fit because the thigh, knee and leg opening are the same as the 32. Any advice? Thanks.

It looks identical because they round the numbers. A size 31 WILL be slimmer in the thighs than a 32.

Last edited:

RXS09

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So I guess I have to write off APC or find an old pair. What is the inseam on the ones you have in your signature?
Even if it shrinks 0.5'', it'd become too short.
solution: Never wash them
nod[1].gif

Distorbiant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You can also stretch out the legs on a pair of jeans a good inch after washing. Hell I'd wager you could get a good .5"-1" longer than the original inseam.

lyxicon

Reaction score
You can also stretch out the legs on a pair of jeans a good inch after washing. Hell I'd wager you could get a good .5"-1" longer than the original inseam.

Really? Have you even done this yourself?
Retired these last fall but I think I'm going to bring them back for the warm seasons.

3 years ~4 months, ~6 washes or so. They're tagged 28s, waist measures ~33 now. These are New Standards btw
Only reason they still fit is because APCs stretch a ton and I wore them from age 15 - 19 now, so they stretched slower over a long time as I grew. I like the destroyed state and they're so damn comfortable.

Here's my new pair of NS, tag size 31. Few days past 3 months now, soaked them a couple days before these pictures, they're coming along nicely, they sit a lot better since I soaked them and wore them wet.

It's amazing that you went from a tag 28 to a 31.

bargerhm

Reaction score
It's amazing that you went from a tag 28 to a 31.

Yeah I mean they're both NS but they feel like completely different jeans, especially with APC messing with the measurements making them slightly larger not to long ago, pretty sure my 31s are the new larger measurements, ordered them in early December 2012.

Like I mentioned also big part in size difference is cause I got the 28s when I was 15 y/o, sizing down almost 3 then, and bought the 31s at age 18 a few months back in Dec, only sizing down just under 2 this time.

Last edited:

Dbear

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah I mean they're both NS but they feel like completely different jeans, especially with APC messing with the measurements making them slightly larger not to long ago, pretty sure my 31s are the new larger measurements, ordered them in early December 2012.

Like I mentioned also big part in size difference is cause I got the 28s when I was 15 y/o, sizing down almost 3 then, and bought the 31s at age 18 a few months back in Dec, only sizing down just under 2 this time.
explains everything

moogpunk

Reaction score
after my second pair of petit standards i've realized that ******* is suffocating and I need to move up to the new standards

so I am a 31 in petit new standards that are made in vietnam... what is the consensus for size translation over to the new standard

bargerhm

Reaction score
after my second pair of petit standards i've realized that ******* is suffocating and I need to move up to the new standards

so I am a 31 in petit new standards that are made in vietnam... what is the consensus for size translation over to the new standard

Best bet would be to measure your current pair and look at contexts updated measurement chart to see how much room you'd be adding at what size. Really go try them on somewhere if you can.

chillip

Reaction score
This is going to be my first pair of raw denim so I was looking for some help. I don't have any stores around me to try them on and the sizing seemed confusing to me after reading about the stretch etc. My measurements of my body are:
Waist = 35"
Hips = 35"
Thigh = 23.5"
Calf = 14"

I think I have slightly larger legs than what they usually design for.... Can someone give me any advice on what size and style I should get? I was planning on ordering a couple and just keeping the better fitting one. Any advice would be appreciated

max_r

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

This is going to be my first pair of raw denim so I was looking for some help. I don't have any stores around me to try them on and the sizing seemed confusing to me after reading about the stretch etc. My measurements of my body are:
Waist = 35"
Hips = 35"
Thigh = 23.5"
Calf = 14"

I think I have slightly larger legs than what they usually design for.... Can someone give me any advice on what size and style I should get? I was planning on ordering a couple and just keeping the better fitting one. Any advice would be appreciated

what kind of fit are you looking for? I have new standards in 28 and 29 (the 28's are very old and stretched out) and I have 34" hips, 23" thighs, 15.5" calves, so we're not too far off.

My new standards fit slim all the way down the leg, so since your calves are a bit smaller than mine, they'll look more like straight leg jean, if you want taper the petit standard may be more up your alley (I owned some PS in 31 for a bit when I weighed a bit more and they were a bit too tapered for me). Never tried the Petit New standard or new cure so I can't comment on those.

This is what my 29 NS look like:

If I were you I probably wouldn't go under 29 in the new standard because you'd end up with skin tight thighs, and the thighs only stretch about a half inch across (1" around), maybe more if you really put some pressure on them. Waist will stretch about 2" around, maybe more. My old 28's have stretched 4" around because I wore them over the course of gaining about 20lbs, so they slowly stretched as I got bigger.

Just measure jeans you have, compare that to the size charts on contextclothing (most accurate last I checked, most other charts are laughably inaccurate) and factor in the stretching i mentioned above.

Last edited:

chillip

Reaction score
I'm going for a similar fit to the one in your picture. My jeans I have right now are all too tight in the thigh area and I don't want to have that problem with these, but I also don't want a really wide cut on the bottom.

Tagged Size Measured Size
Waist Rise Thigh Knee Leg Opening

29 30 10 11 8 7.5
30 31 10 11 8 7.5
31 32 10 11.5 8.5 8
32 33 10 11.5 8.5
8​
I was thinking size 31 with a 2+" stretch in the waist, but the 23" thigh measurement and .5+" stretch is making me think it will still be skin tight up there...

bik2101

Reaction score
what kind of fit are you looking for? I have new standards in 28 and 29 (the 28's are very old and stretched out) and I have 34" hips, 23" thighs, 15.5" calves, so we're not too far off.

My new standards fit slim all the way down the leg, so since your calves are a bit smaller than mine, they'll look more like straight leg jean, if you want taper the petit standard may be more up your alley (I owned some PS in 31 for a bit when I weighed a bit more and they were a bit too tapered for me). Never tried the Petit New standard or new cure so I can't comment on those.

This is what my 29 NS look like:

If I were you I probably wouldn't go under 29 in the new standard because you'd end up with skin tight thighs, and the thighs only stretch about a half inch across (1" around), maybe more if you really put some pressure on them. Waist will stretch about 2" around, maybe more. My old 28's have stretched 4" around because I wore them over the course of gaining about 20lbs, so they slowly stretched as I got bigger.

Just measure jeans you have, compare that to the size charts on contextclothing (most accurate last I checked, most other charts are laughably inaccurate) and factor in the stretching i mentioned above.
are these 29s from the new ones that everyone is saying has bigger measurements than ones from the past?

chillip

Reaction score
I'm looking for a fit like what you have in the picture, but I'm just skeptical about haveing the thighs too tight...

Tagged Size Measured Size
Waist Rise Thigh Knee Leg Opening

29 30 10 11 8 7.5
30 31 10 11 8 7.5
31 32 10 11.5 8.5 8
32 33 10 11.5 8.5 8
33 34 10.5 12 9 8.5​
If I get a size 32, the waist should stretch out 2+" to 35 and the thighs should stretch a little too? I just don't want skin tight thighs which is my problem right now....Or am I going way too big?

max_r

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

are these 29s from the new ones that everyone is saying has bigger measurements than ones from the past?

They are sized the same as the old ones, but I got them a few months after everyone started losing their **** about sizing. I'm still not convinced the sizing actually changed, since context is the only one that actually said anything about it, and raw denim is harder to measure than one may think.

When I got mine, size 29, they measured 31" laid flat with the waist aligned, but if I was careless, left the dip in the waist, didn't pull the fabric tight, I could measure it 29" across.

The thigh on my 29's measures 11.75" right now measured the same way context measures, and they were never too tight in the thigh so they probably didn't stretch much. Also keep in mind all of context's measurements are to the closest half-inch. I had a pair of 30's back in the day that I sold because they were too big for me and looking back at the measurements I took, from new their thigh was 11.875"

Chillip, I think for you a 30 may be best if you're looking at New Standards, but you may need to take them to a seamstress or something at some point to taper them from the knee down. When you get them, just make sure the top button is hard if not impossible to button at first, and the legs should be uncomfortably slim, but not painfully slim.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

Do You Consider Sustainability When Purchasing Clothes?

• Always - Sustainability is a top priority in all my clothing purchases.

• Often - I frequently consider sustainability, but it isn't the main factor in my decisions.

• Rarely - I seldom consider sustainability when purchasing clothes.

• Never - Sustainability is not a factor I consider in my clothing choices.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
matchaslimprix