• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

  • Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 8: Cuir de Russie card case from Equus Leather

    We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

    The 8th auction is for a Cuir de Russie card case from Equus Leather. Please bid often and generously here

    Fok and the Styleforum Team.

  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

    Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

    Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

A moment of madness? - Spectators

ManofKent

Distinguished Member
Joined
Nov 24, 2008
Messages
8,636
Reaction score
20,888
I may have had a moment of madness after a horrendous couple of days at work.

Just paid for on ebay:
 

marc237

Distinguished Member
Joined
Apr 4, 2004
Messages
2,381
Reaction score
1
While I have a preference for wingtip specs, I applaud your choice here. Very nice. Enjoy and wear in good health.
 

ManofKent

Distinguished Member
Joined
Nov 24, 2008
Messages
8,636
Reaction score
20,888
Originally Posted by marc237
While I have a preference for wingtip specs, I applaud your choice here. Very nice. Enjoy and wear in good health.

I shall have to consider brogue spectators in suede/calf at some point. I'm a litle concerned that B/W pectators might be mistaken for golf shoes.


Definitely a moment of madness - let me help you by taking them off your hands. No charge - just think of it as all part of the service...
I think there's some kind of legal obligation for an Englishman to own at least one pair of Church's so assuming they fit I may have to decline your kind offer
 

marc237

Distinguished Member
Joined
Apr 4, 2004
Messages
2,381
Reaction score
1
Originally Posted by ManofKent
I shall have to consider brogue spectators in suede/calf at some point. I'm a litle concerned that B/W pectators might be mistaken for golf shoes.


I agree. My 2-3 pairs of brogue spectators are all in the brown or brandy family.
 

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Joined
Mar 13, 2006
Messages
21,169
Reaction score
1,750
Madness it may be, but those are terrific looking spectators.
 

ManofKent

Distinguished Member
Joined
Nov 24, 2008
Messages
8,636
Reaction score
20,888
Thanks folks.

Any advice on polishing them from any Spectator owners?

Oh, and am I right in thinking Lexol might be a little risky on white?
 

Leather man

Senior Member
Joined
Aug 29, 2008
Messages
299
Reaction score
5
I am wondering how they can be any good - Church's after all! That's probably disgused corrected grain leather you are looking at polishing


Seriously though, I use neutral cream and wax on my spectators -that way I don't need to worry about the two colour thing.
 

marc237

Distinguished Member
Joined
Apr 4, 2004
Messages
2,381
Reaction score
1
Originally Posted by Leather man
Seriously though, I use neutral cream and wax on my spectators -that way I don't need to worry about the two colour thing.

+1. Also, if like me, you are a lazy sort and you go to a shoe shine place, make sure the guy/gal uses a completely clean cloth to avoid any residual polish from getting on the white.
 

ManofKent

Distinguished Member
Joined
Nov 24, 2008
Messages
8,636
Reaction score
20,888
Originally Posted by Leather man
I am wondering how they can be any good - Church's after all! That's probably disgused corrected grain leather you are looking at polishing


Seriously though, I use neutral cream and wax on my spectators -that way I don't need to worry about the two colour thing.


Genuine white bookbinder


I guess some white for emergencies might be useful, and stick to neutral on the brown.


Originally Posted by marc237
+1. Also, if like me, you are a lazy sort and you go to a shoe shine place, make sure the guy/gal uses a completely clean cloth to avoid any residual polish from getting on the white.

No shoe shine places around my neck of the woods. It'll be my elbow grease with a freshly cut square of charles tyrwhitt shirt (slight ironing accident...)


I expect I'll wear them more in the summer, but I think they'll work with camel cords as winter wear.
 

Pundit

Senior Member
Joined
Jun 23, 2006
Messages
223
Reaction score
2
Very nice specs! I have 2 pair in the pipeline, must be something in the water....
 

meister

Distinguished Member
Joined
Feb 10, 2007
Messages
9,127
Reaction score
1,623
I bought these today... take off the kiltie and spikes and a vintage pair of Nettleton specs in my size.
 

Golf_Nerd

Distinguished Member
Joined
Jul 30, 2007
Messages
1,200
Reaction score
1
Originally Posted by ManofKent
Genuine white bookbinder


I guess some white for emergencies might be useful, and stick to neutral on the brown.


+1
 

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

  • 1 - 4

    Votes: 30 3.6%
  • 5 - 10

    Votes: 143 17.3%
  • 11 - 20

    Votes: 270 32.7%
  • 21 - 30

    Votes: 130 15.8%
  • 31 - 40

    Votes: 71 8.6%
  • 41 - 50

    Votes: 48 5.8%
  • 51 - 60

    Votes: 25 3.0%
  • 61 - 70

    Votes: 22 2.7%
  • 71 - 80

    Votes: 17 2.1%
  • 81 - 90

    Votes: 7 0.8%
  • 91 - 100

    Votes: 9 1.1%
  • 100+

    Votes: 53 6.4%

Related Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
429,121
Messages
9,229,339
Members
193,736
Latest member
Beebsta R.
Top