• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A Masters in Finance straight out of Undergrad?

GreenFrog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rburgundy
As a Psyc Major, I would expect you to know that dream interpretation is a load of crap...

Stick with it. Have you been applying out of area?

Haha I know. I've literally applied across the country, from LA, to Dallas and NYC, and I'm located in Boston.

I don't give a crap where the job takes me. A job is a job and I've been applying to everything under the sun.

I am grateful though, as I just landed an interview with a fortune 500 internal strategy consulting group.

GreenFrog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kxk
Yeah, I have little knowledge of the field, but I'm not sure how much of a boost that a "top 25" mfin would be. However, I don't think straight out of college will necessarily be a minus?
In any case, for this Q, wallstreetoasis might also be able to offer insight.

If 20 interviews and 8 final interviews, definitely not the school or grades that's holding you back for what you're looking for. Have you done mock interviews with your school's career office or career consultants?

Do you have any foreign language skills? Would you be open to moving overseas?

Don't get discouraged--many of us have been there and survived.
Over the past couple years, I've sent out probably 500+ resumes without even an interview offer. Fortunately, I was able to convert 2 of the 3 interviews that I got (yep, 3 interviews out of 500+ applications), both of which were pretty much dream jobs. (neither asked for my transcript, natch).

Is going back to your summer employer not an option?

And these days, it seems that post-graduate full-time "internships" are not necessarily something to be avoided and a mechanism that some respectable employers use.

True, in the end, it wouldn't matter at all. I'm sure even 20 years from now, I will look upon this experience and laugh at how minuscule of an issue it is.

I am fluent in Korean and have been through so many interviews by now that I don't think my career services would offer me much help. And I unfortunately did not receive an offer from my summer internship.

Thanks for the encouragement though!

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GreenFrog
True, in the end, it wouldn't matter at all. I'm sure even 20 years from now, I will look upon this experience and laugh at how minuscule of an issue it is.

I am fluent in Korean and have been through so many interviews by now that I don't think my career services would offer me much help. And I unfortunately did not receive an offer from my summer internship.

The online loan place I mentioned in the other thread (with the benzinga guy) might hire you too!

kxk

Reaction score

dude if you're fluent in korean, have you been looking for jobs in korea?

GreenFrog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by otc
The online loan place I mentioned in the other thread (with the benzinga guy) might hire you too!

Haha are you serious? Could you PM me the name of the company?

Thanks!

kxk

Reaction score
I don't ever want to work in Korea.

nor do i but if you can suck it up for 2-3 years and get a "respectable" job in korea and go on to an MBA, i figure life would be a lot easier.
dudes with 3.2s from top 20 are landing BB and MBB gigs there.

GreenFrog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kxk
nor do i but if you can suck it up for 2-3 years and get a "respectable" job in korea and go on to an MBA, i figure life would be a lot easier.
dudes with 3.2s from top 20 are landing BB and MBB gigs there.

really? that's amazing, wow.

they're interviewing in korea for those jobs? or they're interviewing in the states for positions in korea?

also, while i am fluent in korean, i havent spoken it in like 4 years and severely lost my capability in speaking. reading, writing, and translating im totally fine with, but i dont have the fluency to work in an office environment. im not native-speaking status, but im still fluent, if you get what i mean.

kxk

Reaction score
really? that's amazing, wow.

they're interviewing in korea for those jobs? or they're interviewing in the states for positions in korea?

also, while i am fluent in korean, i havent spoken it in like 4 years and severely lost my capability in speaking. reading, writing, and translating im totally fine with, but i dont have the fluency to work in an office environment. im not native-speaking status, but im still fluent, if you get what i mean.

sent PM.

thebac

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
My reaction is similar to the ones from the posts below--you're getting interviews, so the issue doesn't seem to be your resume, but your interviews.

I would do mock interviews and try to solicit feedback (from companies that reject you and mock interviewers) how you can improve.

I don't believe that a Master's with no work experience is a good idea. In fact, a Master's can disqualify you from entry-level jobs. At the same time companies often don't want to hire someone with no work experience for a non-entry level job, so you're shut out there as well (if you do get an interview, they'll probably ask you why you went straight for a Master's rather than getting a job out of college).

Originally Posted by Fang66
Work on your interview skills. As someone else pointed out, if you are making it through the first interview then you are qualified. You are probably competing against similarly credentialed candidates so you need to win them over in the interview. Find out as much about the prospective company as you can beforehand etc.

Originally Posted by jgold47
I am going to play devils advocate for a minute here, and I dont know you from adam, so dont take this terribly personally, but have you thought that YOUR the problem in these interviews? I mean you have been on a ton of interviews and cant close the deal. Take a long hard look at yourself, how you present yourself, you package, your dress, your confidence, your attitude. I struggled in college to land an internship, I was a douchy frat boy who thought that made me the ****. I knew I was qualified, I knew I was smarter than anyone, but I had such a ****** attitude and presentation. Once I realized that it was more important to present myself better, and I made a few adjustments, I had no problem landing a gig.

I am not saying this is whats going on here, I dont know. But take a look. You have had posts on here before about how you cant get a job, and how your resume sucks, and how your all depressed. Learn to look on the positive, to be positive, to project confidence. You will do fine.

Originally Posted by kxk

[...]

If 20 interviews and 8 final interviews, definitely not the school or grades that's holding you back for what you're looking for. Have you done mock interviews with your school's career office or career consultants?

[...]

GreenFrog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I just got some feedback from an interviewer from my last rejection company. She said I tend to ramble a lot and cannot articulate my thoughts clearly -- I need to get more on point. I actually got the same feedback from another interviewer recently.. ****.

I just get so nervous and anxious in interviews that I keep talking and talking. This is also in part because I'm afraid that my answers will be too short, and also because I want to avoid any awkward silences -- as in I'm scared that I'll say everything to point and stop, expecting the next question, but the interviewer will say nothing because he/she expects me to continue speaking.

v.freeman

Reaction score
Have you practiced the standard behavioral questions? Tell me about yourself, strengths, weaknesses, time you worked in a team, time you failed, etc. etc.? You should have all the standard ones and your story by memory and be able to recite it without sounding fake. Having stories and examples that can answer numerous questions is also recommended.

That and 10 mg of propranolol one hour before an interview.

GreenFrog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by v.freeman
Have you practiced the standard behavioral questions? Tell me about yourself, strengths, weaknesses, time you worked in a team, time you failed, etc. etc.? You should have all the standard ones and your story by memory and be able to recite it without sounding fake. Having stories and examples that can answer numerous questions is also recommended. That and 10 mg of propranolol one hour before an interview.
I am diagnosed for an anxiety disorder, so I actually have prescriptions for propanolol and lorazepam (ativan). I normally take propanolol before presentations and have been taking ativan before interviews. I think that may be the reason why I ramble too much.. I think I'll stick with the propanlol and ditch the ativan for now.. not to mention, the amnesic effects are TERRIBLE. And yes, I have prepared thoroughly for the standard questions. I think my downfall is I'm terrible at reciting them convincingly.

yjeezle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
really? that's amazing, wow. they're interviewing in korea for those jobs? or they're interviewing in the states for positions in korea? also, while i am fluent in korean, i havent spoken it in like 4 years and severely lost my capability in speaking. reading, writing, and translating im totally fine with, but i dont have the fluency to work in an office environment. im not native-speaking status, but im still fluent, if you get what i mean.
i work at a korean company. if you know it then you know it and you'll learn it quick. if you don't then you won't and you'll get cut within your 90 day trial period. ps. glad to know that my job isn't hopeless... m/b/b is my goal...
biggrin.gif

thebac

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
It's great that you're getting some feedback on your interviews. Now you need to practice. Get some mock interviews in, and get better at them.

You're good enough to get the interviews, you just need to nail them one of these days.

I just got some feedback from an interviewer from my last rejection company. She said I tend to ramble a lot and cannot articulate my thoughts clearly -- I need to get more on point. I actually got the same feedback from another interviewer recently.. ****.

I just get so nervous and anxious in interviews that I keep talking and talking. This is also in part because I'm afraid that my answers will be too short, and also because I want to avoid any awkward silences -- as in I'm scared that I'll say everything to point and stop, expecting the next question, but the interviewer will say nothing because he/she expects me to continue speaking.

[...]

And yes, I have prepared thoroughly for the standard questions. I think my downfall is I'm terrible at reciting them convincingly.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads