• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A fifth of liquor.

ADH

Reaction score
There certainly are many factors when considering such a thing, but how long does is take for most guys to consume a good bottle of single malt or maybe a bottle of bourbon? Some factors to consider might be: how often you drink, do you share more often than not, the size of your collection, the price of the item, availability, drinkability, and so on. I have bottles of scotch, still sitting at my place from months and months ago, all while I have consumed plenty of other whiskies. Please men, any thoughts?

Girardian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You seem to be asking two different questions:
1. How long would it take you to drink a full bottle of scotch (by the way I think you mean a 750M, not a "fifth") if you had only one bottle of scotch from which to drink?

and

2. How often do you have to replace a given bottle of scotch in your collection?

Question one depends on at least two variables:
a. Are you drinking alone or with others?

and

b. How quickly are you drinking (i.e. how much do you adjust your consumption based on price, rarity, etc.)?

Question two depends upon the above two variables and at least two others:
c. How big is your collection (i.e. how many different scotches are you drinking)?

d. How much do you spread your drinking throughout your collection (i.e. how frequently do you drink or not drink from a given bottle)?

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
It all depends on the occasion. If I'm doing a "party weekend," a 750mL of bourbon almost never suffices. That's usually gone in a night. For a full weekend I need a handle of booze.

Conversely, I've had a 750mL of Knob Creek last me a couple of weeks. A drink or two every once in a while and you can stretch it for a long time.

Girardian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
To answer my own repositioning of your questions:

1. Depends entirely on the social setting, time of year, and how much I'm "into" scotch/bourbon at the time, and cost/rarity/availability. But, to consume a single bottle of premium scotch / bourbon that is not excessively expensive and replaceable (let's say $75 or under and can be purchased locally) if it were my only bottle I'd say an average of 3 weeks.

2. Depends entirely on how many bottles are "close to extinction" at any given time. Some months I don't replace any bottles, some months I finish say 4 bottles and replace all of them (or use that as an excuse to try something new).

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Connemara
It all depends on the occasion. If I'm doing a "party weekend," a 750mL of bourbon almost never suffices. That's usually gone in a night. For a full weekend I need a handle of booze. Conversely, I've had a 750mL of Knob Creek last me a couple of weeks. A drink or two every once in a while and you can stretch it for a long time.
I know this isn't new, but you have a problem, Conne. Slow down, and you may survive until you're of legal age to drink.
fight[1].gif
Originally Posted by Girardian
(by the way I think you mean a 750M, not a "fifth") if you had only one bottle of scotch from which to drink?
750 ml is a fifth, more or less.
teacha.gif

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by grimslade
I know this isn't new, but you have a problem, Conne. Slow down, and you may survive until you're of legal age to drink.
fight[1].gif

:Tomasso: This is the first night in like 2 and a half weeks I've had a drink. No cravings, no yearning. As a matter of fact I'm addicted to soda!

nicad2000

Reaction score
I went through a fifth of Tanqueray Rangpour in five nights by myself a couple of weeks ago... What can I say, it was a good week for G&T's.

Financier

Reaction score
Is it no longer allowed to refer to a fifth as a a fifth?

If anyone's interested, I purchased .1981 gallons of Woodford Reserve on Thursday. It will last me a while.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads