• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A Daily "Mens Clothing" and "Streetwear and Denim" Fit Comparison Thread

KingJulien

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quote:
Really? Cause no one every wears a grey suit, white shirt, black tie, and black shoes? give me a break.
Once again, explain why the fit is good.
I know its not the point. What is the point?
Are you suggesting that looking sloppy (i.e. not clean) is somehow a good look? If so, I once again reinforce why I never go into SWD.

Your assumption that 'clean' is always preferable is the problem. You may want to look clean, polished and presented at all times, and that's fine, but a lot people don't.

JubeiSpiegel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Having gone a couple of fits into this thread, what look does everyone find is better received in the real world (MC or SW&D) ? Is one look more detrimental in comparison to what is worn by the masses, or is each look simply indicative of the environment and not bold in comparison?

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like the ease (as well as the colors and the material of the sportscoat) of the MC gdl. He can do both well, but in this case, I think that his SW&D just is a bit confused. Too many elements, and balance is off. The scarf really obscuring the cleanness of the neckline without really being an effective layering element, the shirt that just looks too long (as opposed to deliberately long). Individual pieces look fine, and it's not horrible, but not a homerun either, and I give the MC fit at least 2 solid bases.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Having gone a couple of fits into this thread, what look does everyone find is better received in the real world (MC or SW&D) ? Is one look more detrimental in comparison to what is worn by the masses, or is each look simply indicative of the environment and not bold in comparison?

I think that the last part, if you are saying what I think you are saying, is the right answer.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I like the ease (as well as the colors and the material of the sportscoat) of the MC gdl. He can do both well, but in this case, I think that his SW&D just is a bit confused. Too many elements, and balance is off. The scarf really obscuring the cleanness of the neckline without really being an effective layering element, the shirt that just looks too long (as opposed to deliberately long). Individual pieces look fine, and it's not horrible, but not a homerun either, and I give the MC fit at least 2 solid bases.

:fu: damn vox for posting this particular pic !! ;)

I addressed the shirt comment above - and fully agree. The scarf, I disagree with, it was at least effective on a pretty cool evening.

Patrick R

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quote:
Right. The surprising thing to me was that if, prior to revealing the pictures, you would have asked me which would look more relaxed and comfortable (not, in fact, be more comfortable), I would have certainly imagined your SW&D to be the fit. Of course, it may actually be more comfortable, but it doesn't look more relaxed to me. That shatters my (obviously flawed) predictive model that the SW&D fits of a given poster would be more relaxed looking. It was a bad heuristic from the start, but I'm new to the game.

Rompson

Reaction score

No, I said the look (white t-shirt, too long jeans, and white sneakers) is a mediocre look.
I was shocked, on the other hand, that you think using white black and grey is some sort of revolutionary color scheme. My point was that is used every daily in MC

I don't think Parker's fit is revolutionary at all. I don't think anyone said that. In fact, the simple black and white scheme is what makes it so effective. You say he just looks like an average guy in jeans and trainers. He does. It's not supposed to stand out. It's not supposed to catch your attention.

One of the edicts tossed around here is that a well dressed man should draw attention to himself, not his clothes. Parker has taken the essence of this statement and applied it to casual clothes. Parker looks like what MC casual should be; someone using fine details of fit, color, and proportion to create a harmonious outfit. If you can't see fit, color, and proportion, then what have you really taken away from styleforum? That's the attitude of my mother who looks at clothes and thinks you could go and buy the same thing at Target for a lot cheaper.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Would people who post on MC and SW&D be considered cross dressers?

Last edited:

Asian Afro

Reaction score

Even when removed from their environmental context, I think CTP and Parker's fits might be better received.

Maybe it's the simple and subdued palette or the fairly clean look, but both their fits produced a positive impression in me. This is not to say the other fits necessarily gave me negative impressions, but that their looks produced mixed feelings. Of course, this says more about me than anything else. For example, Ivwri's fit would definitely have given me a strong negative impression once upon a time. (Traditional Chinese would have looked down on the rumpled look. The concept of being intentionally rumpled wouldn't have occurred to them then.)

When I first saw people dressed like Parker back in the '80s, I thought they looked good, even though I didn't know the context, history, or understand why guys wore jeans that tight or wore their hair like girls'. (Learning a foreign language and culture took time, and I was a bigger idiot then.) That look made me think the person's a straightforward guy, maybe a bit streetwise, but not in a bad way. Of course, those were impressions formed through my original cultural filters, and without knowing the person at all.

CTP's fit was a pleasant, casual look that also made me think he's a standup guy. (But seeing his face might change all that.) I think my impressions now are not that different from the impressions I might have had as a kid. In other words, neither CTP's nor Parker's look is bold in more than one context, which make their fits seem safe to a lot of people from different backgrounds.

(Note: this does not mean Furo, Aether, gdl, etc. look dangerous.)

Just dumping my feelings. Go easy on me.

Quadcammer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Quote:

Your assumption that 'clean' is always preferable is the problem.  You may want to look clean, polished and presented at all times, and that's fine, but a lot people don't.

so whats the opposite of clean polished and presented? Dirty, sloppy, rumpled and...????

That might be the reason for a lot of people looking bad.

precisely. Wearing a tuxedo t-shirt and chucks could be consider a style...that doesn't mean it looks good.

I don't think Parker's fit is revolutionary at all. I don't think anyone said that. In fact, the simple black and white scheme is what makes it so effective. You say he just looks like an average guy in jeans and trainers. He does. It's not supposed to stand out. It's not supposed to catch your attention.
One of the edicts tossed around here is that a well dressed man should draw attention to himself, not his clothes. Parker has taken the essence of this statement and applied it to casual clothes. Parker looks like what MC casual should be; someone using fine details of fit, color, and proportion to create a harmonious outfit. If you can't see fit, color, and proportion, then what have you really taken away from styleforum? That's the attitude of my mother who looks at clothes and thinks you could go and buy the same thing at Target for a lot cheaper.

And once again...I am seeing nothing about the "fine details of fit, color, and proportion". Its a dude in a white t-shirt, jeans, and sneakers.

I feel i can see fit, color, and proportion, and there is nothing about Parker's outfit that really displays a mastery of any of it.

epic-fail-baggy-shirt-fail.jpg

would you look at that use of color and artful stacking of the jeans!!!!!

Last edited:

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
obtuse

james_timothy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quadcammer: useless.

Asian Afro: interesting.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads