A Daily "Mens Clothing" and "Streetwear and Denim" Fit Comparison Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by F. Corbera, Mar 22, 2012.

1. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

^^^That's me about 4 days a week. Just switch the black tie for a grey and you've got it.

2. KingJulien

KingJulien Senior member

Quote:
    Your assumption that 'clean' is always preferable is the problem. You may want to look clean, polished and presented at all times, and that's fine, but a lot people don't.

3. patrickBOOTH

That might be the reason for a lot of people looking bad.

4. JubeiSpiegel

JubeiSpiegel Senior member

Having gone a couple of fits into this thread, what look does everyone find is better received in the real world (MC or SW&D) ? Is one look more detrimental in comparison to what is worn by the masses, or is each look simply indicative of the environment and not bold in comparison?

5. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

I like the ease (as well as the colors and the material of the sportscoat) of the MC gdl. He can do both well, but in this case, I think that his SW&D just is a bit confused. Too many elements, and balance is off. The scarf really obscuring the cleanness of the neckline without really being an effective layering element, the shirt that just looks too long (as opposed to deliberately long). Individual pieces look fine, and it's not horrible, but not a homerun either, and I give the MC fit at least 2 solid bases.

6. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

I think that the last part, if you are saying what I think you are saying, is the right answer.

7. gdl203

gdl203 Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

:fu: damn vox for posting this particular pic !! ;)

I addressed the shirt comment above - and fully agree. The scarf, I disagree with, it was at least effective on a pretty cool evening.

8. Patrick R

Patrick R Senior member

9. Rompson

Rompson Senior member

I don't think Parker's fit is revolutionary at all. I don't think anyone said that. In fact, the simple black and white scheme is what makes it so effective. You say he just looks like an average guy in jeans and trainers. He does. It's not supposed to stand out. It's not supposed to catch your attention.

One of the edicts tossed around here is that a well dressed man should draw attention to himself, not his clothes. Parker has taken the essence of this statement and applied it to casual clothes. Parker looks like what MC casual should be; someone using fine details of fit, color, and proportion to create a harmonious outfit. If you can't see fit, color, and proportion, then what have you really taken away from styleforum? That's the attitude of my mother who looks at clothes and thinks you could go and buy the same thing at Target for a lot cheaper.

10. dieworkwear

dieworkwear Senior member

Would people who post on MC and SW&D be considered cross dressers?

Last edited: Mar 26, 2012
  11. Asian Afro

Asian Afro Senior member

Even when removed from their environmental context, I think CTP and Parker's fits might be better received.

Maybe it's the simple and subdued palette or the fairly clean look, but both their fits produced a positive impression in me. This is not to say the other fits necessarily gave me negative impressions, but that their looks produced mixed feelings. Of course, this says more about me than anything else. For example, Ivwri's fit would definitely have given me a strong negative impression once upon a time. (Traditional Chinese would have looked down on the rumpled look. The concept of being intentionally rumpled wouldn't have occurred to them then.)

When I first saw people dressed like Parker back in the '80s, I thought they looked good, even though I didn't know the context, history, or understand why guys wore jeans that tight or wore their hair like girls'. (Learning a foreign language and culture took time, and I was a bigger idiot then.) That look made me think the person's a straightforward guy, maybe a bit streetwise, but not in a bad way. Of course, those were impressions formed through my original cultural filters, and without knowing the person at all.

CTP's fit was a pleasant, casual look that also made me think he's a standup guy. (But seeing his face might change all that.) I think my impressions now are not that different from the impressions I might have had as a kid. In other words, neither CTP's nor Parker's look is bold in more than one context, which make their fits seem safe to a lot of people from different backgrounds.

(Note: this does not mean Furo, Aether, gdl, etc. look dangerous.)

Just dumping my feelings. Go easy on me.

12. Quadcammer

Quadcammer Senior member

so whats the opposite of clean polished and presented? Dirty, sloppy, rumpled and...????

precisely. Wearing a tuxedo t-shirt and chucks could be consider a style...that doesn't mean it looks good.

And once again...I am seeing nothing about the "fine details of fit, color, and proportion". Its a dude in a white t-shirt, jeans, and sneakers.

I feel i can see fit, color, and proportion, and there is nothing about Parker's outfit that really displays a mastery of any of it.

[​IMG]

would you look at that use of color and artful stacking of the jeans!!!!!

Last edited: Mar 26, 2012
  13. patrickBOOTH

14. gdl203

gdl203 Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

obtuse

15. james_timothy

james_timothy Senior member

Quadcammer: useless.

Asian Afro: interesting.