• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

a couple of running questions

bach

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Runners:

I just started to jog a bit on my days off from weight lifting, and today the ekg thing told me my heart rate was 175 and I was like holy ****, that sounds like a lot. It was after running 6 mph for 30 minutes.

Is that abnormal? I'm 19, 6'3ish, 180 pounds FWIW.

Also, I get this lightheaded-ish feeling while running the above-mentioned 30 minutes... It's not like I'm about to pass out or anything, another way of describing the feeling is that I'm "in the zone"... is that what most people experience when they run? I still have plenty of energy at the end of these runs and I would keep going if it weren't for these two concerns.

tinfoil.gif

Squall.Leonhart

Reaction score
I don't think it's strange if your sprinting lets say, but I wouldn't advise running medium-to-high intensity for extended periods, unless you like seriously using up your glycogen stores.

You're better off doing some sort of interval training (such as HIIT) or doing a low-intensity form of cardio (long-walks at a brisk pace, power-walking on an incline).

bach

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Squall.Leonhart
I don't think it's strange if your sprinting lets say, but I wouldn't advise running medium-to-high intensity for extended periods, unless you like seriously using up your glycogen stores.

what would using up the glyco entail? sounds bad.

Squall.Leonhart

Reaction score
Well you'd be depleting all of the glycogen stores within your muscles, and if you're doing an intensive activity for extended periods of time, your body will use proteins and fats for energy (since there are no carbohydrates to draw from).

Granted, this is a really simple overview of what occurs. Not necessarily bad, but you just have to be aware of it. If you're doing really low intensity cardio (such as incline-power-walking) and you are already carb-depleted (such as after a session of resistance training), the body won't draw as much from protein sources, since the activity is not nearly as intense.

boo

Reaction score
Sounds to me more like you're enjoying it. I seriously doubt glycogen depletion is going to be an issue for you running a half hour at a 10 min/mile pace.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads