A comprehensive guide to Italian shoes

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by onix, Apr 26, 2010.

1. Christofuh

Christofuh Senior member

@ OP

You fornicated up the spelling of Tramezza
    Those older, better styles used to be made by Renzo Tattini
    No clue who's SF's source now, but I doubt they haven't switched if the current trendy look is any giveaway.
    Add to the RTW list:
    Alexander
    Peluso

2. MMorley

MMorley Well-Known Member

3. silvestrosrl

silvestrosrl Well-Known Member

you have some amazing shoes on your site

the Stivaletto Svevo and the Boccaccio are my favorites

Thanks for your complimets. I am proud of our products and I always try to improve them.

4. Agape

Agape Senior member

I thought Borrelli shoes are made by Santoni and are lake construction. I was getting ready to buy some Borrelli shoes from an SF member and he told me they are Blake and not Goodyear.

5. onix

onix Senior member

I thought Borrelli shoes are made by Santoni and are lake construction. I was getting ready to buy some Borrelli shoes from an SF member and he told me they are Blake and not Goodyear.

Santoni uses many different constructions regardless of lines (except for the lowest one which is all glued rubber soles). So there will be Borrelli's that are Goodyear, and Borrelli's that are Blake constructed..

6. dragon8

dragon8 Senior member

Are Romano Martegani shoes worth their price and do they fit true to size?

7. foulard

foulard Senior member

Have you heard of Bartalesi? I have owned three pairs. Full leather sole, nicely shaped shoes but with quite hard leather. But after a few blisters they wear in well.

The thing is, they are usually very reasonably priced as well.

8. meister

meister Senior member

de Tomasso sell in Sydney and are very nice. But lately the dreaded corrected grain/binder leather is being used.

9. foulard

foulard Senior member

de Tomasso sell in Sydney and are very nice. But lately the dreaded corrected grain/binder leather is being used.

I tried looking them up on the net with no success. Is the spelling correct?

10. meister

meister Senior member

I tried looking them up on the net with no success. Is the spelling correct?

Yes they have them at exile in Martin Place.

11. teo

teo Member

Hello to you all,
    I am very fond of Italian handmade shoes and among all proposals I'd like to share with you my experience with Dama Milano (www.damamilano.com), an interesting initiative to create your ideal pair of shoes directly online.
    I've recently bought a pair of Derby. I chose every single bit (type, model, leather..etc.) and even my initials on the sole at competitive prices !
    All other brands are of course extraordinary as the quality is remarkably good but I've recently found Dama. The offer is interesting offer and the purchasing phase exciting. When my parcel arrived, I was very much enthusiast about it.

12. divinevette

divinevette Member

Wonderful information. Thanks for the eductaion.

13. deaddog

deaddog Senior member

i would be curious if people know who makes shoes for John Varvatos, as most of his shoes simply say "hand made in italy." i have a pair of such boat shoes and love them.

Does anybody know who makes the Varvatos "made in Italy" shoes/boots - and perhaps more importantly can anybody comment on the quality? Some of them look pretty nice online but clearly not worth if if they are crap (plasticky leather, fall apart quickly, etc)

thanks

14. speedster.8

speedster.8 Senior member

15. FlyingMonkey

FlyingMonkey Senior member

Couple of things:

1. Berluti is a French company, not Italian.

2. Gravati and Moreschi make mainly Blake-welted shoes in unusual leathers. So if peccary, ostrich etc. are your thing, they are the companies to go to. I have a pair of Moreschi cap-toes and they are very elegant and light as a feather. However, the general opinon appears to be that Gravati are slightly better.

3. A. Testoni also make very sleek Blake-welted shoes. In North America, you often used to find them 'made for' high-end department stores or men's shops (you probably still can).