1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

A comprehensive guide to Italian shoes

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by onix, Apr 26, 2010.

1. teo

teo Member

Hello to you all,
    I am very fond of Italian handmade shoes and among all proposals I'd like to share with you my experience with Dama Milano (www.damamilano.com), an interesting initiative to create your ideal pair of shoes directly online.
    I've recently bought a pair of Derby. I chose every single bit (type, model, leather..etc.) and even my initials on the sole at competitive prices !
    All other brands are of course extraordinary as the quality is remarkably good but I've recently found Dama. The offer is interesting offer and the purchasing phase exciting. When my parcel arrived, I was very much enthusiast about it.

2. divinevette

divinevette Member

Wonderful information. Thanks for the eductaion.

3. deaddog

deaddog Senior member

i would be curious if people know who makes shoes for John Varvatos, as most of his shoes simply say "hand made in italy." i have a pair of such boat shoes and love them.

Does anybody know who makes the Varvatos "made in Italy" shoes/boots - and perhaps more importantly can anybody comment on the quality? Some of them look pretty nice online but clearly not worth if if they are crap (plasticky leather, fall apart quickly, etc)

thanks

4. speedster.8

speedster.8 Senior member

5. FlyingMonkey

FlyingMonkey Senior member

Couple of things:

1. Berluti is a French company, not Italian.

2. Gravati and Moreschi make mainly Blake-welted shoes in unusual leathers. So if peccary, ostrich etc. are your thing, they are the companies to go to. I have a pair of Moreschi cap-toes and they are very elegant and light as a feather. However, the general opinon appears to be that Gravati are slightly better.

3. A. Testoni also make very sleek Blake-welted shoes. In North America, you often used to find them 'made for' high-end department stores or men's shops (you probably still can).

6. swiego

swiego Senior member

I'd be curious to know if there is any update on who makes RLPL made-in-Italy shoes or boots.

7. Fraiche

Fraiche Senior member

Silvano Sassetti according to folks here.

8. mr monty

mr monty Senior member

Testoni also makes some high quality Goodyear and Norwegian constructed shoes . Today they are the Amedeo Testoni line. A few years, the Black Label line was the high quality line. Today most of the Black Label is damn near junk.

9. clee1982

clee1982 Senior member

Any update on Testoni, my first "good" dress shoes was Testoni, and it was great. And as one has mentioned above their black label line has gone down ever since (I bought my in 2007/2008). What's the status on them these days, anything good?

10. Cobb

Cobb Member

Anyone have any recommendations for places to find Italian shoes?

I see Ferragamo's on bluffly and Zappos, but not any of the other brands in this thread.

I'd really like to pick up a classic derby like these dsquared2's:

[​IMG]

11. CTLION

CTLION Senior member

My favorite...Scarpe Di Bianco...my first pair arrive in a week.

12. justinkapur

justinkapur Senior member

How can they be your favorite if you ordered your first pair and havent received them...

13. CTLION

CTLION Senior member

When you know you know. I tried on a pair and special ordered another. The only downside a two month wait.

14. chobochobo

chobochobo Senior member Moderator

What about Stefano Bemer RTW, they make shoes for Valextra or at least did.

15. justinkapur

justinkapur Senior member

Idk still I think its a bold statement if this is your first pair in your wardrobe. I own 10 pairs of Bontonis and its probably safe to say they are my favorite. When I started with one I said these were incredible and as I added more to my wardrobe and had more than 3 thats when I know they were my favorite.

Its just my .02 I dont mean to come off to criticize.

16. mr monty

mr monty Senior member

The website still shows good quality shoes. But the stuff I see in stores and online stores is mostly junk. It looks like they tried to cater to the $250 - 400 market in the states :puzzled:

17. mr monty

mr monty Senior member

You got to first wear them?

Last edited: Nov 3, 2013
  18. sooitalian

sooitalian New Member

Italian Shoes are the best, and I think is not only a my idea...right?

19. Dan e gee

Dan e gee Senior member

They seem to have closed down their website. Are they still operating?

20. TheWraith

TheWraith Senior member

^ No, they closed down 12-18 months ago or so. A shame, they made excellent shoes.