• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A comprehensive guide to Italian shoes

Christofuh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@ OP

You fornicated up the spelling of Tramezza
Those older, better styles used to be made by Renzo Tattini
No clue who's SF's source now, but I doubt they haven't switched if the current trendy look is any giveaway.
Add to the RTW list:
Alexander
Peluso

MMorley

Reaction score

silvestrosrl

Reaction score
Originally Posted by TheBlackBruceWayne
you have some amazing shoes on your site

the Stivaletto Svevo and the Boccaccio are my favorites

Thanks for your complimets. I am proud of our products and I always try to improve them.

Agape

Reaction score
I thought Borrelli shoes are made by Santoni and are lake construction. I was getting ready to buy some Borrelli shoes from an SF member and he told me they are Blake and not Goodyear.

onix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Agape
I thought Borrelli shoes are made by Santoni and are lake construction. I was getting ready to buy some Borrelli shoes from an SF member and he told me they are Blake and not Goodyear.

Santoni uses many different constructions regardless of lines (except for the lowest one which is all glued rubber soles). So there will be Borrelli's that are Goodyear, and Borrelli's that are Blake constructed..

dragon8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Are Romano Martegani shoes worth their price and do they fit true to size?

foulard

Reaction score
Have you heard of Bartalesi? I have owned three pairs. Full leather sole, nicely shaped shoes but with quite hard leather. But after a few blisters they wear in well.

The thing is, they are usually very reasonably priced as well.

meister

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
de Tomasso sell in Sydney and are very nice. But lately the dreaded corrected grain/binder leather is being used.

foulard

Reaction score
Originally Posted by meister
de Tomasso sell in Sydney and are very nice. But lately the dreaded corrected grain/binder leather is being used.

I tried looking them up on the net with no success. Is the spelling correct?

meister

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by foulard
I tried looking them up on the net with no success. Is the spelling correct?

Yes they have them at exile in Martin Place.

teo

Reaction score
Hello to you all,
I am very fond of Italian handmade shoes and among all proposals I'd like to share with you my experience with Dama Milano (www.damamilano.com), an interesting initiative to create your ideal pair of shoes directly online.
I've recently bought a pair of Derby. I chose every single bit (type, model, leather..etc.) and even my initials on the sole at competitive prices !
All other brands are of course extraordinary as the quality is remarkably good but I've recently found Dama. The offer is interesting offer and the purchasing phase exciting. When my parcel arrived, I was very much enthusiast about it.

deaddog

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dropout5
i would be curious if people know who makes shoes for John Varvatos, as most of his shoes simply say "hand made in italy." i have a pair of such boat shoes and love them.

Does anybody know who makes the Varvatos "made in Italy" shoes/boots - and perhaps more importantly can anybody comment on the quality? Some of them look pretty nice online but clearly not worth if if they are crap (plasticky leather, fall apart quickly, etc)

thanks

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Couple of things:

1. Berluti is a French company, not Italian.

2. Gravati and Moreschi make mainly Blake-welted shoes in unusual leathers. So if peccary, ostrich etc. are your thing, they are the companies to go to. I have a pair of Moreschi cap-toes and they are very elegant and light as a feather. However, the general opinon appears to be that Gravati are slightly better.

3. A. Testoni also make very sleek Blake-welted shoes. In North America, you often used to find them 'made for' high-end department stores or men's shops (you probably still can).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads