• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A Chukka, a chukka, my kingdom for a chukka!

mitchbayer

Reaction score
Let me just first say, I have been a member of SF for a fair while. I have been reading threads on this forum for at least 5 years. Until now I have found I have been able to get the answer to every single question I had by judiciously using the search function.

So please don't write my question off, I have done a fair bit of searching already. I'm actually surprised I have needed to finally make a post!

I'm looking for a chukka with a sleek toe box. Simple question, but I have been looking for a fair while (including fair bit of time looking at information/pictures on SF) and nothing has really stood out, except a whole number of discontinued models.

My criteria are as follows:-

1. Sleek Toe Box (I often wear Loakes on the Mayfair last - similar to the C&J 348 - and Grenson Kirk - I was looking for something similar in sleekness to these)
2. Crepe Soles (leather would not be appropriate)
3. Can be either suede or normal leather outers (I'm after a brown/dark brown rather than a tan)
4. Cost - Under 150 pounds
5. Have to be able to be purchased online - I live in Australia and there is a real lack of any easily available shoes, and those that we have are stupidly overpriced. I have used pediwear on a number of occasions in the past.
6. Comfortable - I am hoping to use these on a trip to France/Italy at the end of the year - so no serious hiking or anything, but I would like to be able to use for lengthy city strolls.

The one which has really stood out for me so far is the Grenson Leach (I have a number of grenson shoes). It fits all of my above criteria - except for the fact it is discontinued.

Further, I do really like the C&J Tetbury. However, it is slightly outside of my budget (and given I am wanting to use this shoe to travel to Europe in winter - so it will get constant use over an 8 week period - along with a risk it might see a bit of snow/ice - I don't want to spend more than I have previously on any shoe, on a chukka - regardless of quality) and also it doesn't have crepe soles (correct me if I am wrong, but I suspect the crepe soles work better than leather/dainite in icy conditions - I have never owned dainite soles before, but when I have tried them on, they don't really provide me with confidence that they will be useful in icy conditions, the hard rubber doesn't feel like it would grip well in rain/ice/snow).

The Grenson Oscar, Loake Camden and the Chuch Sahara (crepe soles - but might be a bit expensive) all do seem alright, but I am uncertain of the sleekness - can anyone comment on this?

So I'm hoping that someone might be able to direct me to a shoe that has managed to escape me until now.

Thank you all kindly for your assistance!

bbhewee

Reaction score
If you like Leach, I think you'll find the Grenson Smith to your taste though my personal preference goes towards Oscar (crepe) and Tim (white rubber) in their Rushden range. You might find them too bulbous though, but they're not chunky IMO.
Otherwise take a look at the Opening Ceremony M13 which you should be able to find on sale.

dragonxking

Reaction score
i'm in somewhat of a similar position as you, though i'm looking for a navy suede chukka, and I don't mind a leather sole. that said, I really like the church saharas, but am unsure of the sizing on that particular last. in regards to your question, herring shoes has a pretty great selection of chukkas, and since you live outside of the UK, I assume you'd be getting a VAT discount if you order from them. http://www.herringshoes.co.uk/produc...electedFitID=0 <<just under 150 with the VAT discount though I've never seen these in person also, check out herring's clearance. another obvious option are clarks desert boots though you might not find them very "sleek". curious though, why would a leather sole not be appropriate?

mitchbayer

Reaction score
Thanks for the quick replies. The Herring Tetbury look quite decent actually.

The reason for avoiding the leather soles is because I am expecting to travel to some areas in Europe in december which are likely to have some snow/sleet. As I look to use whatever chukkas I purchase as my daily shoe, I dont want to have to be drying the leather soles out each night (aside from the concern about damaging them). This is where having the crepe soles would be useful.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 103 36.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 103 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.5%

Forum statistics

Threads