• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A button inside the trouser leg, at the ankle, for cycling

Makoto Chan

Reaction score
Hey guys,

When I hop onto a bicycle in my chinos, I have to watch that they don't flap over the chain and get an ugly grease mark. I'm aware that some people buy little velcro straps to wrap around their ankles to solve this problem. I don't like them.

I was thinking that another solution would be to sew a little button inside the ankle on the outer side, either a real button or a snap button, that sort of clips the flap away from the chain.

I might talk to Peter Lee about making this for a new cotton suit, or talk to an alterationist about whether this is possible to add to a pair of pants (I doubt it). Yeah, I know I can always just roll up the cuff. It's just an idea. What do you think? Does this already exist?

TheSizzle

Reaction score
Hey guys,

When I hop onto a bicycle in my chinos, I have to watch that they don't flap over the chain and get an ugly grease mark. I'm aware that some people buy little velcro straps to wrap around their ankles to solve this problem. I don't like them.

I was thinking that another solution would be to sew a little button inside the ankle on the outer side, either a real button or a snap button, that sort of clips the flap away from the chain.

I might talk to Peter Lee about making this for a new cotton suit, or talk to an alterationist about whether this is possible to add to a pair of pants (I doubt it). Yeah, I know I can always just roll up the cuff. It's just an idea. What do you think? Does this already exist?

It's not exactly the greatest look, but without altering your trousers, you can get one of those velcro straps that goes over your pants.

Essentially, you wouldn't alter your pants, and you would have a setup for every pair of pants.

Last edited:

JackAndy

Reaction score
I use a teflon chain wax on my chain instead of oil. It actually cleans the chain when you spray it on and dirt won't stick to the chain so it's always clean and shiny. That would definetely make the chain area 100x less dirty and dangerous for your pants so it's a start. I'm assuming there's some reason you don't have or don't want a chain cover so I'll let that be.

Besides velcro straps over your ankles, have you ever seen blousing strips? They hook together and go inside your pants and you just roll the cuff over them. So it blouses your pants like a drawstring or something but it's stretchy and you can take them off and put them in your pocket, it would probably take too long to put on and off every time you want to ride though.

McBindle

Reaction score
From a standpoint of the physiological dynamics in cycling I would not recommend this. The chain grease does not get on the cuff so much from flapping or being unsecured as it does from a heel rotation or inward bend of the leg. To that end, you will notice that even in shorts chain grease has a habit of getting on your inner right ankle.

For this reason we mount the bike from the left and do not click into the right pedal (or place the right foot on the pedal) until we are in motion.
Similarly, when at rest we lean on the drive side foot with it on the ground and with the bike tilted to the right to avoid the "cat 5 tattoo" that comes with leaning the bike left with the right foot on the pedal and the left foot off. This creates a triangle of space between the bike and the off foot that looks like this from the back (/=bike, !=leg and foot): !/!.

Therefore: roll your trousers and or get a chain guard.

irgendwas

Reaction score
Therefore: roll your trousers and or get a chain guard.

I'd also recommend a chain guard. As far as I know, chain guards are common on bicycles in Japanese cities. My bicycle has a chain guard and I've never had a problem with chain grease.
For cycling in a suit, the ideal bicycle would probably have a full chain case and allow an upright sitting position with a swept-back handlebar close to the body. Examples of such a bicycle would be traditional British or Dutch roadsters or their more modern counterparts.

dan'l

Reaction score
M-chan, have Peter make you one of these zip-away lowers next time:

But in all seriousness, if you don't like the Velcro straps you could consider a leather one:

MikeDT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Could just get a pair of good old fashioned bicycle clips.

jrd617

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Could just get a pair of good old fashioned bicycle clips.

Or a chain guard... most US commuter bikes have them so that pants don't get torn/splashed with water

There's no aesthetic case against them

10-9-gaz-chain-guard.jpg

2240686959_cd610010c0.jpg

citibike-nyc-bike-share.jpg

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads