• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

$800-$900 Solid Navy Slim-Fit/European Cut Suits?

johnation33

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm looking for a solid navy slimfit/european cut suit that I can wear to work/business/interviews. It would be great to find a MTM shop that can do Borelli or Brioni style cuts. (I've already stopped by LS Men's clothing and mr. neds, but the impression I got were that the work they do is primarily american boxy brooks brother's types of suits). If not, are there any brands between $800-900 that have the slimfit/european cut?

Discounted suits are really hard to find, so please don't suggest finding discounted brioni/kiton suits. I have yet to find one in my size, so I'd rather buy retail or MTM.

slappy

Reaction score
I cant imagine youll find MTM similar to Brioni for 800-900, if you do let me know. I know on sierra trading post they have a few Isaia navy suits

johnation33

Reaction score
Originally Posted by slappy
I cant imagine youll find MTM similar to Brioni for 800-900, if you do let me know. I know on sierra trading post they have a few Isaia navy suits

oh no I wasn't looking to FIND brioni at that price, but a MTM brand or any off the rack brand that imitates the style of slimfit/european cut

Marcus Brody

Reaction score
While Brioni certainly is European, I wouldn't call most of the Brioni stuff I've seen in this forum "slim fit" (at least if we're using the RLBL definition). Do you by chance know which model you admire?

Parker

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Not "European", but moderately slim: Brooks Bros. Fitzgerald

MTM would mostly likely put you over budget, but there are some good ones on sale.
Also, Ralph Lauren Black Label (on sale). MTM would be $$$.

Svenn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
At $900 you could get a custom bespoke suit in Hongkong that could be made to your exact specifications, or you get custom half-canvassed suits elsewhere in Asia for $350. Mind you when you get slim-fit suits, it has to fit perfectly to be comfortable because there is so little room for forgiveness. I had an MTM cut close to the body and despite the best of his efforts it's still quite uncomfortable. If you have any reason whatsoever to go to Asia, take it.

Siggy

Reaction score
Corneliani, newer Canali, RLBL. Will need to be on sale to find at that price or maybe lower. Just saw you want solid navy. You can pretty much forget about finding one of these brands in solid navy in the US and on sale. My advice is to go to Italy during sale season...sorry.

slappy

Reaction score
Where do you guys find RLBL on sale? All the Ralph Lauren outlets here only have the green label stuff

johnation33

Reaction score
sigh I was afraid of hearing what you guys posted above.

Ok well my current options are these:

$850 Theory Suit (slim cut)
$850 MTM Mr. Ned Suit (boxyish cut)
$??? Thick as Thieves Suit (i'm scared of selfmeasuring, so this would require me to go fly to LA from NYC....)

I really wish there was a maker that made high quality wool Super120 Loro Piano or something into slim fit european cut... that would be amazing. Whoever starts that would be a rich man.

CruzAzul

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by johnation33
$850 MTM Mr. Ned Suit (boxyish cut)

I really wish people wouldn't generalize like this, because these sorts of assumptions can really damage the business of a small shop that makes good suits in the USA. Vahram will do whatever style you want. I have a Mr. Ned suit that (at my request) cuts so close to the body that I can't put my sunglasses in the chest pocket.

Flimsychicken

Reaction score
Those BBBF suits seem to be close to what you are looking for, though I have heard that the newer made in the USA BF suits are inferior to the older, Caruso made, BF suits.

toade

Reaction score
How long can you wait? The RLBL Gilt sale just had Navy suits for $600. Probably a couple months before they come back though.

Varvatos has a nice slim grey suit on bluefly for $950. I hear they have a pretty similar cut to RLBL.

Someone has a slim navy Dior Homme suit listed in B&S for $600, 40R.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads