• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

5K to buy a watch - what to get?!!

tom153

Reaction score
Non AMG, non chrono, IWC Ingenieur.
IWC-IW322701.jpg

Confucius

Reaction score
+1 on the Ingenieur. I used to hate it but it has well and truly grown on me. For pics go to the WAYWT thread and check out Phat Guido's posts.

Have you considered a Sinn? Some of their bracelet watches (e.g. 757 I think) are very nice.

Mathew J

Reaction score
Originally Posted by pocketsquareguy
I have several nice watches but in 15 years have never ever been tired of my SS Rolex Sub

thought they were 6K now and not to be argumentative but I am also a Sub owner and the watch to me isn't that great, nice for sure but nothing amazing.

Warren G.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think the Sub no date is around 5,300ish?
But hey man, just go out and try some watches on (I really can't emphasis this enough lol), and do your hunting online. After you find out what you like, go post on TZ, and I'm sure people will flood your pm box with references and etc.

Mathew J

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Warren G.
I think the Sub no date is around 5,300ish?
But hey man, just go out and try some watches on (I really can't emphasis this enough lol), and do your hunting online. After you find out what you like, go post on TZ, and I'm sure people will flood your pm box with references and etc.

5,300 for a non date watch with a hollow bracelet and no solid end links as well as their older style divers extension clasp...but they did add a cosc cert..

I think the guy said he wanted sporty which is why I didn't suggest JLC.....but IWC, Panerai, and Breitling (not my favorite at all) are a few more to consider.

igibliss

Reaction score
I would pick up a second hand Rolex GMT II Ceramic. It may take some time to find one for 5K but it can be done. If not I'd pick up an IWC Pilot Chronograph. It has interchangeable bands so you can use metal or leather. GL.

FidelCashflow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tom153
Non AMG, non chrono, IWC Ingenieur.

IWC-IW322701.jpg

Of all the "sf-approved" watch brands, I find IWC to be the most exciting

jamesbond

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Since leather is not an option, I would go with the Role SS Sub no-date for sure. Jomashop has them for $4,500. It's the absolute classic. Im just waiting for the day when i get mine, It's like a man's right of passage. If you were to decide that leather would be an option I would consider a JLC reverso in SS. I also like the Cartier Tank Louis but i think there all the way up to $7k these days?

I'm in love with the new 14k White gold sub with blue bezel and dial but at $22k its a bit out of my league
drool.gif

Rolex Sub SS
Rolex-Submariner.jpg

JLC Reverso
JLCReverso.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads