1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

5K to buy a watch - what to get?!!

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Brabus420, Sep 5, 2009.

1. Mathew J

Mathew J Senior member

I have several nice watches but in 15 years have never ever been tired of my SS Rolex Sub

thought they were 6K now and not to be argumentative but I am also a Sub owner and the watch to me isn't that great, nice for sure but nothing amazing.

2. Warren G.

Warren G. Senior member

I think the Sub no date is around 5,300ish?
    But hey man, just go out and try some watches on (I really can't emphasis this enough lol), and do your hunting online. After you find out what you like, go post on TZ, and I'm sure people will flood your pm box with references and etc.

3. Firstladyofsong

Firstladyofsong Senior member

4. AlanC

AlanC Senior member

I would get a $40 Timex and put the rest in a Mutual fund.

I think we may have found common ground...

5. Ich_Dien

Ich_Dien Senior member

JLC Ultra Thin SS

+1. An absolutely superb all rounder.

6. Mathew J

Mathew J Senior member

I think the Sub no date is around 5,300ish?
    But hey man, just go out and try some watches on (I really can't emphasis this enough lol), and do your hunting online. After you find out what you like, go post on TZ, and I'm sure people will flood your pm box with references and etc.

5,300 for a non date watch with a hollow bracelet and no solid end links as well as their older style divers extension clasp...but they did add a cosc cert..

I think the guy said he wanted sporty which is why I didn't suggest JLC.....but IWC, Panerai, and Breitling (not my favorite at all) are a few more to consider.

7. igibliss

igibliss Well-Known Member

I would pick up a second hand Rolex GMT II Ceramic. It may take some time to find one for 5K but it can be done. If not I'd pick up an IWC Pilot Chronograph. It has interchangeable bands so you can use metal or leather. GL.

8. FidelCashflow

FidelCashflow Senior member

Non AMG, non chrono, IWC Ingenieur.

[​IMG]

Of all the "sf-approved" watch brands, I find IWC to be the most exciting

9. caelte

caelte Senior member Dubiously Honored

out on the docks behind the Blue Parrot Cafe
    Something very very thin in pink gold from the 50's with a leather band. I'm with the "Bank the rest." group.

10. jamesbond

jamesbond Senior member

Since leather is not an option, I would go with the Role SS Sub no-date for sure. Jomashop has them for $4,500. It's the absolute classic. Im just waiting for the day when i get mine, It's like a man's right of passage. If you were to decide that leather would be an option I would consider a JLC reverso in SS. I also like the Cartier Tank Louis but i think there all the way up to $7k these days?

I'm in love with the new 14k White gold sub with blue bezel and dial but at $22k its a bit out of my league [​IMG]

Rolex Sub SS
    [​IMG]
    JLC Reverso
    [​IMG]

11. Eustace Tilley

Eustace Tilley Senior member

+1 on the Ingenieur.

+2. If you're willing to go with a leather band, I'll have some better suggestions.

12. robinsongreen68

robinsongreen68 Senior member

i am going to recant on my earlier rolex explorer rec. i had tried it before and thought it was great. however...i borrowed a friend's speedmaster, have been wearing it for the last few days. went in today to buy the explorer tried it on and.. compared to the omega it seemed small, tinny, and unexciting. at your price point i would now say omega or iwc all the way.
    but i cant emphasise enough, take your time, try on as many watches as you can. its even better if like me you can borrow from a friend who has a large collection and live with one for a few days.

13. Digby

Digby Well-Known Member

IWC Ingenieur
    JLC Reverso with a metal band

+1 for both. outstanding watches.

14. Eustace Tilley

Eustace Tilley Senior member

Forgot to mention the Glashutte Sport Evo. That would be a better buy than the IWC imo.

15. audiophilia

audiophilia Senior member

One word.

Submariner.

[​IMG]

16. GusW

GusW Senior member Dubiously Honored

The JLC Reverso is very nice if you like a deco style (I do). It would make a nice dress watch to alternate with a Rolex Sub.

17. jamesbond

jamesbond Senior member

i am going to recant on my earlier rolex explorer rec. i had tried it before and thought it was great. however...i borrowed a friend's speedmaster, have been wearing it for the last few days. went in today to buy the explorer tried it on and.. compared to the omega it seemed small, tinny, and unexciting. at your price point i would now say omega or iwc all the way.
    but i cant emphasise enough, take your time, try on as many watches as you can. its even better if like me you can borrow from a friend who has a large collection and live with one for a few days.

I know what your saying about how the Rolex feels small compared to others but the guy wants something classic and timeless. When i went to try on a Sub for the first time it felt small compared to my Ocean-7 LM1 but honestly that is a classic size. I personally would stay away from the oversized trend like Panerai and such.

Go with the Sub you won't regret it.

18. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

a Glashutte Panoreserve would be awesome here....does anyone know how to get it at sub $5k?? [​IMG]

19. TheWraith

TheWraith Senior member

One word.

Submariner.

[​IMG]

One word: agree.

20. shaftoe

shaftoe Senior member

1. Will wear mostly going out on weekends
    2. I am 30 years old - so I want a classic, sophisticated, but sporty style
    3. Looking for a watch with a metal band
    4. Complete silver color watch - dial and bezel color can vary
    5. Not too large (I'm 5'11" but have thin wrists so I don't want to sport a dumbell on my arm)
    6. Not an Omega (I have a Seamaster already which I love - from my dad), Tag, or Movado,
    7. Want a reputable brand but not 'played out'
    8. 5 thousand budget (MSRP)

The Submariner is a great watch but may fall into your 'played out' criterion. If you are considering Rolex I would also look at the GMT Master II and the Milgauss, and maybe the Explorer II. I have the GMT and the bicolor bezel and 24 hour hand are awesome.