• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

45rpm

Shirts Anderson

Reaction score
Can anyone recommend a proxy?

The japan site is considerably lower in retail.

Hey, I've used Zenmarket a number of times and have not had any major issues.

A heads up if you are not aware, 45 produces their US product to slightly different specifications in some cases. Things like shirt sleeves and pant legs are around two inches longer on the stuff they make for the US market...although, it's been a while since I've bought anything from them so perhaps someone else on this chain can confirm if that is still the case. Either way, it's a good idea to pay attention to the measurements on the JP site.

BlakeRVA

Reaction score
Visited the San Francisco store for the first time today and wow.. the staff were extremely welcoming, educative, unassuming, and genuine. It was like meeting a new friend who was eager to nerd out on clothes, a trait that is surprisingly absent in so many high end retail experiences.

Anyways, I picked up a tshirt and scarf (first purchases from the brand) and excited to follow the brand more closely moving forward. I was impressed with the fabrics and color palettes, very nice stuff.

One quibble, the tshirts are cut long and slim, so I ended up grabbing a Size 4 (M) for a looser fit, when I'm usually a XS / S. I might have the shirt hemmed or just tuck it into some easy pants. Definitely stop into one of the 45rpm retail spaces if you can, it was delightful.

IMG-20210504-WA0001.jpg IMG-20210504-WA0003.jpg IMG-20210504-WA0004.jpg IMG-20210504-WA0002.jpg

London

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
45rpm was the first Japanese brand that I got into in the early 00's. The good thing is that you could actually walk into a great smelling, friendly shop and touch the garments. The other Japanese brands until about the last decade you had to order and pray that things would fit. 45rpm is a great but eye bleeding expensive brand.

I went to the one in Soho last week and picked up some bandanas. I almost take it for granted because it has been there so long, but it's an OG shop in NYC as a ton of retailers have come and gone and they're still going.

grit

Reaction score
45r18e.jpg

(Shirt & Pants: 45rpm.) I really love 45rpm; I wear it more than any other brand. Back in the day, it's the first store I would go to when I would visit New York; I ended up chatting with Sonoko, the NY store manager, and some of the other staff as well a few times through e-mail and eventually in person - they were really helpful about fit questions in the days before measurements being posted everywhere. The attention to detail on the clothes is second to none, but the vibe is still casual knock-around clothing; I think it's a great balancing act. Their indigo-dyed stuff is particularly fantastic. I'm very thankful that they opened a San Francisco store (local to me) - Ryo, the manager there, is also a super nice guy. It's probably the most pleasurable clothes shopping experience you can have. For a run of maybe about 3 years, 45r and the now-defunct Unionmade Goods were the only two clothing stores I needed. Their stuff is definitely expensive, but when I run the cost-per-wear calculation on my wardrobe, the 45rpm pieces always do extremely well.

NickPollica

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Did a comprehensive rundown/culling of my 45 collection on IG stories today (@akciongoli) - all the pieces are sold but if you have any interest in detailed construction/fabric run throughs of some of their amazing pieces it’s worth checking out.

kjb

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i was able to snag the super guaze sweater in hopefully the right size. if it's not, i'll happily pass it along here.

i had a chance to visit the NYC store after ordering a pair of their duck sneakers that devastatingly did not fit my big dumb feet. i was in a hurry and only had time to return the shoes and run through a quick lap of the store but man i want to go back on a day off or something, it feels like you could spend a solid few hours in there browsing items and examining the details.

BandannAlmanac

Reaction score
Did a comprehensive rundown/culling of my 45 collection on IG stories today (@akciongoli) - all the pieces are sold but if you have any interest in detailed construction/fabric run throughs of some of their amazing pieces it’s worth checking out.

Its funny most people I doubt look this deep at their garments, or even understand how complicated this stuff is to make. On top of that you have to find people who can do it consistently and quickly to even make this stuff even remotely affordable. 45r is one of my favorite Japanese brands for that reason... most of the details are for the wearer even if they are unaware.

Nbarbar

Reaction score
B0A913CD-6AA0-4103-855A-EB2B8E04495C.png

Found some old photos of a visit to 45R in Tokyo. The obsession Antonio describes above is carried through to their stores. Yes, these are indigo glazed tiles.

Attachments

• 8FA544EB-A389-4ED0-8616-F423D0007976.png
    8FA544EB-A389-4ED0-8616-F423D0007976.png
    301.3 KB · Views: 52
  • BFC5B893-108C-467D-B6F6-490132ECD29A.png
    BFC5B893-108C-467D-B6F6-490132ECD29A.png
    316.6 KB · Views: 131
  • FB882518-C573-4012-B89E-5E0A8AC92779.png
    FB882518-C573-4012-B89E-5E0A8AC92779.png
    597.2 KB · Views: 161

keykoo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure if that 45r store is still open, but their new flagship store in Minami Aoyama is still pretty cool.

Nbarbar

Reaction score
I'm not sure if that 45r store is still open, but their new flagship store in Minami Aoyama is still pretty cool.
Miss Tokyo. I was able to get there every year for a decade running, it will be my first spot once covid ends / if covid ends…

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads