• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

3-year-old conductor kid

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by milosz
I don't really understand the difference in good conductors and bad - don't the musicians pretty much know the music backward and forward without being conducted?

and the 13-year old b-boy is pretty badass, but doesn't he have that one main spin move? didn't see a lot of other positional holds or things I assume are impressive in those competitions.

Orchestras are made up of anywhere between 40 (chamber) and 80+ people... a conductor is the person that provides the artistic vision for a given piece, and has a large part to play in the kind of sound the orchestra gets. It isn't merely a question of maintaining a pulse and signaling entries, but rather making a lot of people play as a cohesive whole. It's really a very big job (and that's not even taking into account their many other duties, if they're the actual Artistic Director.)

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
There is also a whole lot that happens well before the performance... there is a lot for the conductor to interpret and he/she needs to instill and communicate that vision in rehearsals. I had an opportunity to sit in once on a rehearsal and it was very eye opening.

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Douglas
There is also a whole lot that happens well before the performance... there is a lot for the conductor to interpret and he/she needs to instill and communicate that vision in rehearsals. I had an opportunity to sit in once on a rehearsal and it was very eye opening.

Many symphony orchestras will periodically hold open rehearsals. Along with those and attending the pre-concert lectures, you can get a lot more out of your trip to the symphony.

audiophilia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
These days, man management is a top priority. Long gone are the days where I could go Toscanini on their asses. Sadly, there are many instances where the tail wags the dog. Here's one of many, for instance.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads