• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

2018 50 Book Challenge

clockwise

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Clockwise counting 44/50: Juan Valera - Pepita Jimenez (1874)

Young man in strict religious 19th century Andalusia studies to become a priest when he meets young widow and extraordinary beauty Pepita Jiménez.  Young man is unable to resist the lures of earthly passion. :D

Juan Valera was a Spanish diplomat and ambassador to many countries and as the author of Pepita Jimenez he also secured a position as one of Spain's great literary heavyweights. This was a surprisingly engaging read, much easier and more entertaining than I would have imagined. 

Steve B.

Go Spurs Go
Reaction score

Clockwise counting 44/50: Juan Valera - Pepita Jimenez (1874)
Young man in strict religious 19th century Andalusia studies to become a priest when he meets young widow and extraordinary beauty Pepita Jiménez.  Young man is unable to resist the lures of earthly passion. :D
Juan Valera was a Spanish diplomat and ambassador to many countries and as the author of Pepita Jimenez he also secured a position as one of Spain's great literary heavyweights. This was a surprisingly engaging read, much easier and more entertaining than I would have imagined. 

I want 10 books for my list from you for next year, dude.

Are you a college lit prof?

Last edited:

clockwise

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hahaha, not at all. Just amateur reader with "good" taste. I make my list as I go along.

clockwise

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Clockwise counting 45/50: Nathanael West - Miss Lonelyhearts (1933)

This is a short and sweet classic, a depression era black comedy about a male newspaper columnist called Miss Lonelyhearts. The story is full of pain, both the pain of Miss Lonelyhearts himself and the pain of his readers; it depicts a society where moral values and meaning have been replaced by alcoholic binges and pointless sexual encounters. A strange little book!

dwyhajlo

Reaction score

Clockwise counting 45/50: Nathanael West - Miss Lonelyhearts (1933)
This is a short and sweet classic, a depression era black comedy about a male newspaper columnist called Miss Lonelyhearts. The story is full of pain, both the pain of Miss Lonelyhearts himself and the pain of his readers; it depicts a society where moral values and meaning have been replaced by alcoholic binges and pointless sexual encounters. A strange little book!

Have you also read The Day of the Locust?

clockwise

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yep. Like I promised. Gonna dig it out tomorrow.

60 pages in. 1150 small type. Good God what have I done!

60 pages! That's how far I got into War and Peace before I decided that it could wait until another year. Hope you have better stamina.

Have you also read The Day of the Locust?

No, I remember seeing the movie with Donald Sutherland. Never read the book. Is it "highly recommended"?

Last edited:

Steve B.

Go Spurs Go
Reaction score
110 pages in. It's really not that bad. Maybe I will actually like it in another 200 pages or so. :)

EDIT 200 now. I'm enjoying it. It will be a fine, albeit LONG read.

Last edited:

clockwise

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Clockwise counting 46/50: Richard Yates - Revolutionary Road (1961)

The forgotten master of American modern realism. This is just a brilliant story about suburban hell in 1955 New York. None of Yates' novels sold more than 12,000 copies during his life time but he was regarded as one of the best by Vonnegut, William Styron and John Cheever and he is considered a strong influence on Raymond Carver. Highly recommended.

P.S. I never saw the Di Caprio movie and not sure I want to.

Last edited:

clockwise

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

110 pages in. It's really not that bad. Maybe I will actually like it in another 200 pages or so. :)

EDIT 200 now. I'm enjoying it. It will be a fine, albeit LONG read.

Glad to hear. Wish you the best of luck and perseverance. You may inspire me to undertake the same reading in 2012.

clockwise

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Clockwise counting 47/50: John Steinbeck - East of Eden (1952)

I have actually been reading this famous classic for much of the year and now feel quite relieved to eventually be able to put it behind me. After a good start I somehow got tired of its "grandiosity" and I have literally for months been slowly slowly reading East of Eden in parallel with many other books. 

It is of course a very nice (and long, at 700+ pages) novel with an abundance of great themes: goodness and evil, a modern version of the story of Cain and Abel, a nice narrative of small town Californian life in the early 20th century, love and loss, fathers and sons. 

Entertaining, sometimes inspiring but also, I believe, quite overblown and pretentious. A must-read, so.... I have now read it. :satisfied:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads