• We would like to welcome Craftsman Clothing back as an official Affiliate Vendor. Craftsman Clothing is a brand for the refined men who want to look good with minimal effort, and care about products that are well-made. In additon to being a go-to brand for all things essential, Craftsman Clothing also offers bespoke outerwear that’s uniquely crafted for you. Please visit their thread and give them a warm welcome.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

2018 50 Book Challenge

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'd like to not be doing this on my own.

Last edited by a moderator:

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Do we all have to read the same books? What is the list? I have no intention of reading anything with "zombies" in the title.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by harvey_birdman
Do we all have to read the same books? What is the list? I have no intention of reading anything with "zombies" in the title.

pfft, well, there goes half of my comic books right there.

StephenHero

Black Floridian
Reaction score
I think reading dozens of books is less rewarding than reading a handful of books in great depth. For example, instead of just reading Beloved and coming away knowing that 1) Slavery is bad and 2) Beloved is sort of like a ghost, I think the experience will be more intersting if you consider looking into outside criticism of the book, such as Morrison's alledged "jazzthetic" literary device to tie in the cultural tradition of blues and jazz into narrative form to increase our awareness of the post-CW African American experience.
http://findarticles.com/p/articles/m.../ai_n16832496/ You're not going to get much reward for carpet bombing your library's holds system.

m52go

Reaction score
I've been Indian for the past 21 years and still don't understand it.

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by harvey_birdman

read whatever you want. I consider at least 200 pages the minimum.

Steve B.

Go Spurs Go
Reaction score
What about Lord of the Flies and that kinda stuff? There are some classics I never read...

But I have discovered a new author...I'm even reading George Douche's bio. (Slowly, on the side). I'm in.

ektaylor

Reaction score
I don't get this. Is reading a book really supposed to be a challenge? I like to think of reading as an escape from the hypercompetitive work environment I've found myself in.

jpeirpont

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Steve B.
What about Lord of the Flies and that kinda stuff? There are some classics I never read...

But I have discovered a new author...I'm even reading George Douche's bio. (Slowly, on the side). I'm in.

I haven't read Don Quixote, so I'm going to give that a shot.
I have four books I want to read.
1. Black Majority: Negroes in Colonial South Carolina from 1670 through the Stono Rebellion - Peter Wood
2. Don Quixote
3. Encyclopedia Black Folklore and Humor - Henry D Spalding
4. An Area of Darkness - V.S Naipaul

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ektaylor
I don't get this. Is reading a book really supposed to be a challenge? I like to think of reading as an escape from the hypercompetitive work environment I've found myself in.

no you read them and then review them.

the challenge is finishing 50 books. I was on pace to go well past that but didn't

Steve B.

Go Spurs Go
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edinatlanta
no you read them and then review them.

the challenge is finishing 50 books. I was on pace to go well past that but didn't

I dunno. What I'm reading right now is a series of books from the same author.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I might give it a try - I've decided to give up buying magazines this year. I might be able to use that time to read books. honestly, I think I read 10 books in 2010.

Featured Sponsor

HOW OFTEN DO YOU SHOP FOR CLOTHES ONLINE?

• I mainly buy my clothes online.

• I shop online only if there is a sale.

• I shop online when shipping and returns are free.

• I shop in store only for very expensive items I want to try on.

• I mainly shop in store.

Results are only viewable after voting.