1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

2 Questions about black denim

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by chipopo, Jul 10, 2006.

1. chipopo

chipopo Member

Hi,

I've recently noticed a rise in Black Denim discussion. I have two questions about it:

1. Indigo (Synthetic or Natural) is traditionaly used to dye denim blue. Is there a "standard" subtance (Synthetic or Natural) that is used to dye denim Black?

2. (This is a silly one...) Are black denim "IN" again? I know they were "IN" sometime in the mid-late 80's. Are they doing a come-back? I'm asking because I haven't seen too many people wearing them around...

Thanks,

Chipopo

2. VMan

VMan Senior member

1) I'm not sure, but i don't believe pure indigo can result in fully black denim.

2) I have a pair of black denim jeans (slim bootcut) with a bunch of fading (caused by me) down the fronts, as well as natural whiskering and honeycombing. I wear them all the time, and get tons of compliments. I like to wear them with a slim white tee and white/black trim Pony trainers, or with a white or black tee and a pair of YSL Rive Gauche sleek black calfskin laceups. So yeah, definitely in if you get the right cut/style.

3. chipopo

chipopo Member

Thanks VersaceMan (Very nice Avatar!). I should ask the 1st question in SF when it's up and running again. I would be interested to see what the guys who are in the Denim Industry have to say about it (My guess - Something based on Sulphur Oxide).

4. xcoldricex

xcoldricex Senior member

45rpm sorahiko's made black with a sulphur wash..

5. John11f

John11f Member

I've always wanted a black pair of denims to break away from the blue indigo monotony of jeans. I wish I bought the black overdyed Sorahikos instead of the blue one wash. But I'm now setting my sights on the Samurai S5000BK. I don't know if black jeans are IN or not and I really don't care. For me, a black pair would be a welcome change from my true blue collection.

6. stach

stach Senior member

It seems to me that black jeans were out of style for about three seconds. [​IMG]

7. horriblyjollyjinx

horriblyjollyjinx Senior member

you will be able to order the black samurais here
    http://item.rakuten.co.jp/2nd/sj-s5000bk/

they will ship around the 10th of august.

they are only made in 400 pairs and the last time samurai made black jeans was in 2003.

8. verver

verver Active Member

wow, those black samurais are beautiful.
    are they straight leg cut? looks almost bootcut?

9. digital_denim

digital_denim Senior member

HJB did BIG get a price on those or do they have to wait until they get them in due to customs etc..

10. denimdestroyedmylife

denimdestroyedmylife Senior member

They would not quote a price until they got them in. They stated they would be getting them in mid-July; strange since Samurai said they wouldn't ship my pair until August 10.

11. horriblyjollyjinx

horriblyjollyjinx Senior member

they are straight leg.

they should cost the same as the s5000vx($280) at BIG because both cost 25000 yen.

12. kjfarr

kjfarr New Member

I was in BIG last Friday asking about the S5000BK. I was told end of July. But they're not shipping until August. Ok. What I was told would help is if you email Gordon at the shop and get your name on a pair.

13. John11f

John11f Member

I ordered mine directly from Samurai and Toshiko confirmed from me 2 weeks ago if I want to go ahead with my order since they will start making them. They will ship it to you on 8th August and they will be making 400 pairs. I wonder if all 400 pairs are pre-ordered or some of them are ordered by their retailers like Blue In Greene?