1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

10 Ugliest Buildings in the World

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by edinatlanta, Nov 20, 2009.

1. AndrewRogers

AndrewRogers Senior member

Brutalism is unappreciated, and besides, it has strong intellectual tenets unlike the Hummer H2-driving family homestead here.

I agree, and I like brutalism but I believe it is that intellectuality that perhaps leaves it under appreciated.

2. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

I agree, and I like brutalism but I believe it is that intellectuality that perhaps leaves it under appreciated.

Or rather the results of those intellectual theories.

3. GusW

GusW Senior member Dubiously Honored

So many buildings that try to do something new are often hated at first and later accepted. The Transamerica Pyramid in San Francisco is one that comes to mind. When first built virtually everyone hated it. Now it is accepted as iconic.

4. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

For a long time, Victorians were deemed unacceptable and now they're beloved.

5. StephenHero

StephenHero Senior member

So many buildings that try to do something new are often hated at first and later accepted. The Transamerica Pyramid in San Francisco is one that comes to mind. When first built virtually everyone hated it. Now it is accepted as iconic.
    This goes both ways. In fact the initial critical reaction is often going to be more positive than the public's on a work of originality and vice versa for a classical revival building. Robert Stern has made a career from building his critical reputation from the public reaction 20-30 years after the completion of projects in a way that transcends trends of short lifespans. His entire mission is building architecture that is simply ignored or modestly noticed in the context of well liked historical surroundings. I was going through some old (60-80's) architecture magazines last week doing some research and found some positive reviews of urban design proposals that would be lambasted today with Pruitt Igo and Boston City Hall being the most notorious of such projects to garner critical praise polarized from the general public reaction. Some buildings are correctly labeled hit or miss from day one (Libeskind in Berlin, Gehry in Bilbao, Holl is Kansas City, the WWII Memorial in DC) but more often a building's definitive critical reception is completely unrelated to initial impressions (Vietnam Memorial in DC, Yamasaki's WTC) . Nature and it's effects on the wear is a part of that and so is the human tendency to find things new and unique and assign them an inflated importance or give them a damaging chastisement.

6. tiecollector

tiecollector Senior member

Brutalism is unappreciated, and besides, it has strong intellectual tenets unlike the Hummer H2-driving family homestead here.

+1. I've really started to appreciate the brutalist government and university buildings I see. I'd love a brutalist home.

7. StephenHero

And I'll briefly note that Koolhaas is an example of a wildly influential and talented architect that provides influence to the practice largely inconsistent with his thinking. Most view his architecture as formal compositions but ignore the methodology of it's creation. He takes programmatic needs and very logically designs his buildings to best accommodate those needs in hopes of ignoring any set of conventional guidelines that have arisen that "restrict" the potential of the building's use. You can see this thinking in his book Delirious New York and aforementioned Maison a Bordeaux. His influence among architects (particularly young ones) is one merely of visual representation and aesthetic tendencies. His building' skins, forms, and patterns are often copied mindlessly devoid of the logic in process that was used to create them. I personally have a lot of respect for him and find him very interesting but I've become less and less inspired or influenced by him because of the overt plasticity of his material choices and their implied cynical and nihilistic viewpoint. Case in point.... Casa da Musica [​IMG] Content "magazine" book. [​IMG]

8. Tokyo Slim

Tokyo Slim Senior member

Here's the aforementioned eyesore that is E.M.P.:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

That's some schlock right there.

10. StephenHero

You could do worse visually. Gehry was really discouraged with Paul Allen over that project. He got very little helpful feedback towards the design from what I read in an interview and basically alluded to the fact that he had no idea what to give Allen because Allen had no idea what was needed or what he wanted.

11. Tokyo Slim

Tokyo Slim Senior member

You could do worse visually. Gehry was really discouraged with Paul Allen over that project. He got very little helpful feedback towards the design from what I read in an interview and basically alluded to the fact that he had no idea what to give Allen because Allen had no idea what was needed or what he wanted.

But what he got was THIS:

[​IMG]

I mean, holy shit. If someone asked me to design something, and basically gave me no feedback or expectations, I'd consider that free reign to do something awesome. Not to take a giant technicolor crap in the middle of Seattle. I dunno.

The excuse was this " It's supposed to look like a smashed electric guitar. FAIL in both idea, and execution.

12. StephenHero

Almost ironically, I think that the site for the project is really terrible. Positioning a self contained sculptural mass on a large, low density site almost limits the building's use as an event destination and limits casual pedestrian foot traffic. If it were right in the middle of downtown in might have worked better and become used more. I have a sense that there are only so many days out of the year Seattle residents say to themselves "Let's go check out some Hendrix memorabilia." You could probably clear the place out and put an Ikea, Target, or Barnes & Noble in there and it would instantly become the most awesome version of each because people would be more willing to go there and make a trip out of it.

But as an object, I still have no hard feelings towards it. The texture and colors of the metal are really appealing. I think it's more of a disappointment than an ugly, bad building. But I've never been there so I'll reserve a definitive view.

13. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

I love how there's some sort of fairground behind it and that maglev train goes in--total Disney fare.

14. gdl203

gdl203 Senior member Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Some of the POVs are not that bad - especially that first elevation above. But the aerial view is grotesquely ugly.

15. robin

robin Senior member

I can only hope that I'm rich enough one day to purchase the EMP building and then level it.
    I love how there's some sort of fairground behind it and that maglev train goes in--total Disney fare.
    It was built on the site of the 1962 world's fair and the carnival rides behind it are permanent fixtures. The space needle is right next door as well: http://www.seattlepi.com/specials/worldsfair/ While on the topic of other awful Seattle architecture, the Westin "corn cob" towers are also quite bad. [​IMG]

16. A Y

A Y Senior member

The plan views are just as bad as the overhead view. Take the monorail in and it is like riding into a multicolored turd. The space needle is just off to the side there with a big food court, and there is a park with lots of foot traffic as well as the opera house so it's not as isolated as it looks.

--Andre

17. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

I can only hope that I'm rich enough one day to purchase the EMP building and then level it.

It was built on the site of the 1962 world's fair and the carnival rides behind it are permanent fixtures. The space needle is right next door as well: http://www.seattlepi.com/specials/worldsfair/

While on the topic of other awful Seattle architecture, the Westin "corn cob" towers are also quite bad.

[​IMG]

Reminds me of the cover of Wilco's Yankee Hotel Foxtrot.

[​IMG]

18. Tokyo Slim

Tokyo Slim Senior member

While on the topic of other awful Seattle architecture, the Westin "corn cob" towers are also quite bad.

See... I don't mind those as much. Dunno why, but I like round buildings. I applied to live in Tower 801 way back in the day, before they crammed all the new convention center crap around it.

[​IMG]

19. BrianVarick

BrianVarick Senior member

I drive past that building in covington, Ky almost every day. I think it is rather interesting, and a breath of fresh air to the surrounding area.

20. PinkPantser

PinkPantser Senior member

Reminds me of the cover of Wilco's Yankee Hotel Foxtrot.
    Marina City Towers in Chicago [​IMG]