• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

10 days in Paris....Go!

tullytra

Reaction score

I think you could take a day trip to Rouen which is in Normandy. It's the place where Joan of Arc was burned at the stake. The cathedral was painted many times by Monet. The buildings in town are famously half timbered (do a google image search on rouen half timber to see what I mean). It's about an hour from Paris by train, which means it would be an easy day trip, and you'd probably enjoy a brief respite from the city.

I stayed last semester in Rouen, and I can't say that it's anything worth a trip. Sure Jeanne d'Arc was burnt there, but that's it. The cathedrals aren't worth the trip. If the OP heads that way, just keep going through to Caen then to Bayeux and hit up the American Memorial at Omaha Beach. It's a trek to get there, and there are sporadic buses from Bayeux to the memorial; so plan it out if you head there. Check timetables for trains to grab those which leave Paris-St. Lazare and don't stop until Rouen and then Caen. It saves so much time. I'd recommend renting a car for a day to get there just for the ease of not needing the buses/trains.

Last edited:

gumercindo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Had a fantastic trip. Of the 9 full days we were there, it was sunny and mid to high 60s 6 of those.

Our itinerary basically went as follows:

Day 1: walked around our area (Rue Montorguiel, St. Denis, Les Halles, La Bourse)
Day 2: walked from our apartment by the Lourve, through Jardin Tulieres, across Place Concorde, across Pont D'Alma, Luxembourg gardens, through St. Germaine, a little bit of the LQ and then headed back home. Seine river cruise at night
Day 3: Sacre Couer (including montmartre) and Eiffel (climbed both of them!)
Day 4: Lourve, walked around st. germaine and ile de citie, Le Marais southern district, Arc de triumph and walked up to the top, Salsa dancing down in the bastille area
Day 5: Orsay, St. Chapelle, ND, ile st. louis strolling
Day 6: Versailles (picnic lunch here)
Day 7: Giverny, ven dome strolling, took a dancing class at night near bastille with one of the best instructors in the world
Day 8: Strolled through the north side of Marais and the south side as well - just a strolling day
Day 9: Strolling day and we hit St. Germaine and rue honore

Had a fantastic time and I'm glad I did not try and squeeze another day trip in. For a first time to Paris, I think 2 day trips (even though they weren't full day trips) are enough. Paris has so much to see! It's my new favorite city.

Thanks again for all the recs.

b1os

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Had a fantastic time and I'm glad I did not try and squeeze another day trip in. For a first time to Paris, I think 2 day trips (even though they weren't full day trips) are enough. Paris has so much to see! It's my new favorite city.

:nodding:

Glad you liked it! Have you visited Mariage Frères?

gumercindo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately, I did not. We did not spend as much time on the cullinary highlights as we did on the landmark highlights. That's reserved for the next Paris trip!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads