• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

“Go East Young Man” ; Ex-pat job hunting in Asia

Pantisocrat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For you, illusion is the least expensive Freudian pleasure. I sympathize. I do.

Originally Posted by Eason
Cheap prostitutes! Cheap prostitutes! There's an oriental in my condo right now, changing the door handle of my front door. He just hocked up an enormous solid loogie, and, luckily, spat it outside my door instead of on my tile floor. How thoughtful he is.

Whites have a certain regality that other races lack.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Cheap prostitutes! Cheap prostitutes! There's an oriental in my condo right now, changing the door handle of my front door. He just hocked up an enormous solid loogie, and, luckily, spat it outside my door instead of on my tile floor. How thoughtful he is.

Whites have a certain regality that other races lack. If only I was white...
frown.gif

Oh and asia is so humid it's making my hair slightly curl giving me the K-Popstar/hairdresser (same thing) look.
frown.gif

Lovecraft

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Pantisocrat
ha ha. This post reminds me why I hate white people so much.
laugh.gif

Why? It isn't White people's fault that your country (South Africa) is a cultural rubbish heap with one of the highest violent crime rates in the world. In fact, if it wasn't for White people, South Africa would be even more backward then it currently is.

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
God damnit, the guy put on a door handle that doesn't turn! Why would I pay to have the handle repaired with a handle that doesn't ******* turn and let you open the door? Now I have to stay in on Tuesday night and wait for him to come back and replace the handle with a new one. Maybe he'll bring some complementary phlegm with him.

OP: stay away from asia

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
God damnit, the guy put on a door handle that doesn't turn! Why would I pay to have the handle repaired with a handle that doesn't ******* turn and let you open the door? Now I have to stay in on Tuesday night and wait for him to come back and replace the handle with a new one. Maybe he'll bring some complementary phlegm with him. OP: stay away from asia
Most people's perception of "foreign" places is like my perception of the construction industry:
IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fuuma
Most people's perception of "foreign" places is like my perception of the construction industry:

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

no = needed
teacha.gif

Kas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I love how people always assume how people in an area as large as the US (thai, viet, cambo, burm, malay, phil, indo, sing) are all the same. They're not. Malaysia for example is a Muslim country, Indonesia as well but a little more complicated, Thailand is buddhist, so is Laos but Laos is communist, etc.

OP: travel around a little more than just Hanoi and Saigon and see if you still like it.

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
Whoa now, both Malaysia and Indonesia are Muslim? I thought it could be one, but not the other. I've never met a Muslim Malaysian.

Kas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Whoa now, both Malaysia and Indonesia are Muslim? I thought it could be one, but not the other. I've never met a Muslim Malaysian.

You're joking right? Malaysia is a country pretending to be a secular muslim state, but the muslim UMNO party has been in control since the country started. Moreover, while the Shariah only legally applies to Muslims there, as a non-muslim you still have to deal with it a lot: sexual relationships for instance. Then there's the problem Chinese and Indians face (the other 2 main ethnic groups) because they do not have a full citizenship (bumiputra). The muslims are a majority in the country yet there is still constitutional affirmative action favouring them; ratios for universities, housing and certain corporations for example.

mkarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've never met a Muslim Malaysian.

There are many... :)

Pantisocrat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yep, thank you for electricity, computer software and the internet. And for English too! I sure do not enjoy living in mud huts.
Originally Posted by Lovecraft
Why? It isn't White people's fault that your country (South Africa) is a cultural rubbish heap with one of the highest violent crime rates in the world. In fact, if it wasn't for White people, South Africa would be even more backward then it currently is.
facepalm.gif
That's like saying I've never met a Han Chinese.
I've never met a Muslim Malaysian.

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Sending a NA employee to work in Asia is extremely expensive for a MNC. Therefore these positions have become very rare and are usually reserved for long tenured senior people who are perceived by the company to have specialized skills and experience, or are being groomed for bigger and brighter things. YMMV but that's what I've observed.

Lord-Barrington

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by HRoi
Sending a NA employee to work in Asia is extremely expensive for a MNC. Therefore these positions have become very rare and are usually reserved for long tenured senior people who are perceived by the company to have specialized skills and experience, or are being groomed for bigger and brighter things. YMMV but that's what I've observed.

I think there was a time, 10-15 years ago, when a NA worker (especially caucasian) had a certain usefulness, even at a junior level, to MNCs in Asia. But nowadays there are plenty of locals that can speak english (and mandarin, thai, japanese, etc) and do the same work.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Matt
like two thirds of the country man. In business you do tend to come across the Chinese more.

Generally the case in South East Asia (Chinese dominate in business)...

Back to the go east topic. It's a lot harder now a days, you got to compete with local who can speak English (though not as well obviously), as well as people who came back after working experience in North America. Large coporation will send people fresh out MBA/Undergard. to oversea position sometimes, though that tend to happen in banking and consulting than any other industry.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads