• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

“First suit” recommendation

yunBW

Reaction score
C8106197-B93B-4D6D-A842-AD9E5F3FC5AE.jpeg
EE692F43-E71D-468E-9EAD-156432D49A4C.jpeg
Hi everyone,

As the title states, I’m planning to do my first proper suit purchase because I bought a suit before without really knowing what I want on my suit.

Background: I’m a 19 year old (soon 20) with a slight darker Asian complexion. Current living in LA for my education. As most might know LA is a city where suit is not worn often around my age range, so I never bothered to get a proper suit. My style is more toward SLP, with some different style time to time. Recently, during a conversation between me and my gf, she wanted me to get a suit for an event coming next year summer-ish (I know it’s still a long time, but I just like to take time and research and find what I like) with no details whatsoever. Also, I feel I need one sooner or later next year as I will be going to interviews and sometimes formal events.

The suit
Color: since it’s my first suit, I’m thinking of the color blue or brown (rich dark brown, or darker brown) , as I feel both compliment my skin complexion really well. I personally do no prefer grey over other 2 colors. I’ll still give a try

Cut/silhouette: I want a suit jacket that have little or no shoulder pad, Maybe a little shorter jacket as I’m 5’9”, slim silhouette. Basically a modern suit jacket cut. Italian or French style. I’m willing to take recommendations.

Fabric: I want a lighter weight wool fabric or wool fabric with a loose weave or wool blend fabric because LA is just warm year round and I sweat a bit more than usual. I don’t know why I’m not attracted to worsted wool, it feel plain and too smooth for my liking, so texture is a bonus.

Structure/details: I want a medium-large lapel. Notch or peak. Full or half canvassing. 3 holes 2 buttons preferred. I think unlined or half lined would work best for me, but I don’t have much knowledge about it. I really like high-mid rise pleated pant but I doubt it will be found in RTW suit pants...

Price range: under $1000 or slightly above if really worth the money. Since there is a lot of time I don’t mind waiting for sale. I really want a quality suit that fits me well. I love wearing suit but I don’t get the opportunity for it.

I current have a black blazer for my body shape reference

I want some recommendations of brands that might satisfy my requirements of my first suits from the classic menwear forum. I really hope I would able to find a suit I love that can last me a long time. I’m open to different configurations for my suit.

Thank you,
Yun

beargonefishing

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Navy, navy, navy, and just in case that isn't clear, navy. Try out SuitSupply for less shoulder padding. Their suits are cut slim. Brooks brothers is also worth a shot because they have a couple of lines that are cut slim, although I don't think I have ever seen a 3 roll 2 there.

Kilo11

Reaction score
I'll second the suggestion that your first suit be navy blue. Every man needs a navy suit and his second should probably be grey/charcoal. After that, then whatever floats the boat.

A navy suit will give you the versatility of having a single suit that can be worn for weddings, funerals, etc. If you've only got one suit, navy is the smart choice.

JJ Katz

Reaction score
It sounds like you have time to get something made-to-measure, which if you can at all afford, I would recommend simply on the basis that almost no off-the-rack retailers make trousers with a decent rise.

Absolutely second 'Navy blue' or medium/dark grey for your first suit.

If you like texture and breathability and you're not going to be wearing the suit very frequently / constantly, I would recommend a relatively open weave hopsack in something like 10 Oz/yd which would wear as cool as a superfine in 8-9 Oz but drape better. Unlined, of course.

zanci

Reaction score
I would go classic navy from suitsupply or kent wang.

yunBW

Reaction score
It sounds like you have time to get something made-to-measure, which if you can at all afford, I would recommend simply on the basis that almost no off-the-rack retailers make trousers with a decent rise.

Absolutely second 'Navy blue' or medium/dark grey for your first suit.

If you like texture and breathability and you're not going to be wearing the suit very frequently / constantly, I would recommend a relatively open weave hopsack in something like 10 Oz/yd which would wear as cool as a superfine in 8-9 Oz but drape better. Unlined, of course.
Was considering MTM, but not familiar wit MTM suit makers. Who do you suggest for my price range? Thanks

yunBW

Reaction score
A lot of members suggested Suitsupply as my choice of brand for suit. I wonder if anyone know when is their outlet sale for the winter? Thanks

JJ Katz

Reaction score
It would depend on where you reside. I'm recommending MtM on the assumptions that: a) you prefer a more classical, less tight-and-low-and-modish look and that b) this beingyour first suit, you're not looking to spend bespoke-level money.

SuitSupply (if you can get the trouser rise to be ok) and Kent Wang,a s posted above, are well regarded by many posters here, I would say.

I'm in the UK and there are a lot of mid-level providers who do MtM on a more local basis.

mintchox

Reaction score
Whatever source your final suit comes from, I would strongly recommend the following details for maximum versatility and timelessness:
- Dark navy / dark grey
- Notch lapel, medium size
- Worsted wool, medium weight - I understand other fabrics will be more interesting, and you will be attracted to light weight fabrics - but you want something sturdy and classic to start with
- Cut - beware not to have it too tapered as you might grow out of it

classicalthunde

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Was considering MTM, but not familiar wit MTM suit makers. Who do you suggest for my price range? Thanks

I've had good luck with Kent Wang, great quality to price ratio and they do all of their stuff by mail/emailed pictures...got my tuxedo and blazer from them and planning on a couple more purchases as i overhaul my work/formal wardrobe. They have more options then available on the website, so check with Aaron and let him know what you're thinking. Also, as with any MTM it may take 1-2 suits to lock down the fit.

for RTW SuitSupply has some good quality stuff at a good prices, they have a blend of standard and fashion forward stuff, for $1000 you may be able to squeeze out two from their basic line (still half canvas, good quality, nice VBC fabric). their outlets only happen twice a year (January and July) and I would definitely recommend learning their fits/sizing before doing anything from the outlet as it is always final sale

also, for good measure....definitely get a navy blue, charcoal, or mid-grey suit first!

yunBW

Reaction score
Whatever source your final suit comes from, I would strongly recommend the following details for maximum versatility and timelessness:
- Dark navy / dark grey
- Notch lapel, medium size
- Worsted wool, medium weight - I understand other fabrics will be more interesting, and you will be attracted to light weight fabrics - but you want something sturdy and classic to start with
- Cut - beware not to have it too tapered as you might grow out of it
I understand, but I really not go for dark navy. It’s just too dark for my liking, most likely a dark blue or almost navy color. Regarding farbics, I’ll choose around s100-110. In term of weight I’ll see if the suit jacket feeling breathable or lightweight for me to wear because Los Angeles is just too hot to wear suit outdoor

yunBW

Reaction score
I've had good luck with Kent Wang, great quality to price ratio and they do all of their stuff by mail/emailed pictures...got my tuxedo and blazer from them and planning on a couple more purchases as i overhaul my work/formal wardrobe. They have more options then available on the website, so check with Aaron and let him know what you're thinking. Also, as with any MTM it may take 1-2 suits to lock down the fit.

for RTW SuitSupply has some good quality stuff at a good prices, they have a blend of standard and fashion forward stuff, for $1000 you may be able to squeeze out two from their basic line (still half canvas, good quality, nice VBC fabric). their outlets only happen twice a year (January and July) and I would definitely recommend learning their fits/sizing before doing anything from the outlet as it is always final sale

also, for good measure....definitely get a navy blue, charcoal, or mid-grey suit first!
I’ll go to SS store this month and see which fits me. If nothing fits me or I couldn’t find anything I like. I’ll check out Kent wang.

I wonder if I can customize the trouser too.

Thanks

JJ Katz

Reaction score
I understand, but I really not go for dark navy. It’s just too dark for my liking, most likely a dark blue or almost navy color. Regarding farbics, I’ll choose around s100-110. In term of weight I’ll see if the suit jacket feeling breathable or lightweight for me to wear because Los Angeles is just too hot to wear suit outdoor

Have you considered a mid-grey? Works well in a sunny place like LA.

yunBW

Reaction score
Have you considered a mid-grey? Works well in a sunny place like LA.
Haven’t tried mid-grey in person. If I feel it looks better than navy or blue. I might choose mid-grey.

I just wish that I would be flying somewhere in Asia for vacation and get a MTM suit for ridiculous cheap price.

beargonefishing

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’ll go to SS store this month and see which fits me. If nothing fits me or I couldn’t find anything I like. I’ll check out Kent wang.

I wonder if I can customize the trouser too.

Thanks

SS does MTM as well, so keep that in mind. I also believe all their MTM suits are fully canvased.

I have heard good things about MyTailor MTM suits. I have only used them for shirts, but they have a physical location in California.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads