• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

"£3,500 plus VAT," says Allen. "Much cheaper than Savile Row"

SimonC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The quote in the title is from this article in yesterday's Guardian newspaper.

It's raised an issue I've wondered about before. Do the lay public believe a Savile Row suit is far more expensive than it actually is - they look at the price of designer labels and assume SR must be dearer?

I ask because I find it galling that a tailor can be happy being quoted in the mainstream press stating his prices are cheaper (indeed much cheaper) than the Row when £3500 is certainly comparable if not more than some.

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SimonC
The quote in the title is from this article in yesterday's Guardian newspaper.

It's raised an issue I've wondered about before. Do the lay public believe a Savile Row suit is far more expensive than it actually is - they look at the price of designer labels and assume SR must be dearer?

I ask because I find it galling that a tailor can be happy being quoted in the mainstream press stating his prices are cheaper (indeed much cheaper) than the Row when £3500 is certainly comparable if not more than some.

Anderson and Norton are around these prices including VAT.

Huntsman and Rubinacci are a bit more expensive than that...

inimitable

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In the Evening Standard, in relation to the VAT increase, a Huntsman suit was used as an example of clothing increasing in price. Price quoted was £4,386.

So yes I think the layperson does believe a SR suit is more expensive than anything else. Maybe using the most expensive house on the Row as an example doesn't do much for its reputation.

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standa...n-in-london.do

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by inimitable
In the Evening Standard, in relation to the VAT increase, a Huntsman suit was used as an example of clothing increasing in price. Price quoted was £4,386.

So yes I think the layperson does believe a SR suit is more expensive than anything else. Maybe using the most expensive house on the Row as an example doesn't do much for its reputation.

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standa...n-in-london.do

Quite a jump from last year...

The better they're doing the more expensive they're getting...

Macallan

Reaction score
I always find it funny when others the clothing industry mention and compare the cost of Savile Row bespoke. They either try to seem cheaper then the tailors on The Row or in some cases, quote a suit in their most expensive cloth compared to Savile Row's base rate. The £3.5k rate + vat is for a suit with spare trousers in a particular cloth. I read his bespoke is about £3k (including vat); however, I doubt most of his recent work is bespoke, he offers MTM and is involved in many external projects, for example working with Asda (which is Wal-Mart owned). His website is confusing, where is Saville Row?

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Macallan
His website is confusing, where is Saville Row?
Perhaps he means Saville Middle School ... on Grand Titon Drive ... in Las Vegas. Come to think of it ... doesn't Las Vegas have a faux Savile Row? Not yet? Oh well ... surly they will.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads