• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Loake 1880 > AE

Steven Aver

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would like to start a discussion in regards to the quality of Loake 1880 series vs. Allen edmonds.

In the past I have owned a few AE shoes, and although they have been of decent quality I have never been in love with their lasts and styling. It always seemed like the only reason I purchased them was because they were on deep discount (Less than $150.00).

The Loake 1880 series Retail in the $300 - $350 area (Same as most AE). They are GY welted and solid. SOme say the leather is on the stiffer side, which it is, but IMHO equivilent to AE's.

I recently purchased the Ritz plain toe blucher on the Mayfair last and the Kempton Suede Chukka. I must say for the Price of $150 or less each, you cant beat it. Considering how cheap we can get 1880's from Pediwear.com, I dont understand why anyone would be buying Allen Edmonds that is looking for beaters[ for under $200.00. Yes I said beaters. I am not trying to glorify these shoes, just making a point. These are a good alternative for that guy who is on a budget, or someone like myself who is looking for an inexpensive shoe, to wear casually, that I can throw in the rotation in order to put less wear on my better shoes in the closet.

Personally I think the Mayfair last is a great choice looking for a solid shoe at an Allen Edmonds Price point, and not as stodgy..

Thats My .02 cents

Pics from Plal.

http://www.plal.com/loakes.htm

Discuss!

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I'd give the quality edge to AE, but not many of their styles do much for me. As such, I can see your point, but it really comes down to personal tastes. Loake is, I think, much more successful at creating modern styles a younger guy would want to wear.

That said, were I to buy another Loake, it would be suede. I can't see myself buying their calf again. At least with AE, their best styles are meant to be rugged gunboats, so the coarse leather makes a bit of sense.

Steven Aver

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
I'd give the quality edge to AE, but not many of their styles do much for me. As such, I can see your point, but it really comes down to personal tastes. Loake is, I think, much more successful at creating modern styles a younger guy would want wear.

That said, were I to buy another Loake, it would be suede. I can't see myself buying their calf again. At least with AE, their best styles are meant to be rugged gunboats, so the coarse leather makes a bit of sense.

I see your point being that the difference between suedes qualities in general hi/lo is not that significant across most makers where you could tell from a glance. I agree one gripe with loake I have so far is their calf, but then again I have the same complaint with AE's calf quality.

How have you found their soles to wear?

Henry Boogers

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have 2 pairs of Loakes and maybe 5 or 6 AE's having sold off 4 or 5 (or more) additional AEs.

I have not been happy with the appearance or stiffness of the leather used by Loake in comparison to AE, though I would temper that with 2 observations:

1- Some AE's are better than others and some suffer the same leather issue

2- The last of those shoes you posted at Plal have a much nicer shape than any AE I own

The Louche

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My Loakes, while not 1880s, have the worst "calf" I've ever seen. Its corrected grain and it looks like it might as well be plastic sometimes.

I love my AEs. I know that they aren't anywhere near the pinnacle of footwear art, but they make sense for a lot of people. To anyone other than a connoisseur, the more elegant AE offerings look stunning (in comparison to the shoes most slobs wear). AEs are also capable of withstanding brutal abuse.

My next shoes will be Alden. A step up from AE but still in the same wheelhouse; I'm trying them simply b/c they are a comparably priced AE alternative. It will be along time before I get anything pricier than that; the abuse that my shoes suffer simply doesn't warrant an expenditure greater than what is required for AEs or Aldens...

Steven Aver

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by The Louche

My next shoes will be Alden. A step up from AE but still in the same wheelhouse...

To say Aldens are in the same "wheelhouse" as AE is a crime. There is no comparison. Period.
bounce2.gif

Aldens are actually worth their retail, thus the reason you rarely see them discounted much. They are an excellent value and some of the better RTW shoes made.

I feel bad for anyone who would actually pay retail for a pair of AE's.

In addition I am speaking to the 1880 line only in regards to Loake.

Chouse

Reaction score
Originally Posted by The Louche
My Loakes, while not 1880s, have the worst "calf" I've ever seen. Its corrected grain and it looks like it might as well be plastic sometimes.

I had the same experience (I think their L1 Line). Would be interesting to hear if the 1880s are made with totally different/ better quality leather...

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
He's talking about 1880 line, which I believe as a rule uses calf leather.

I would probably also choose them over AE, but they are very close. Depends on the style.

Vintage Gent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have both, and I would readily pick the 1880 line Loakes over AEs. To my relatively untrained eye, construction and materials are about the same (the 1880s do not use corrected grain). In terms of styling, the Loakes are far from my most elegant shoe, but they beat the AEs by a country mile.

jmonroestyle

Reaction score
I think the main decision factor would be which one fits.

I don't wear either brand because neither of them fits my feet. However, because AE is availabe in more widths than Loake, I would think one would have a better chance of finding a good fit with AE than with Loake.

Also, for those in the USA, one can be fitted in AE in a good shoe store. Since Loake shoes are not easily found in a store to try on in the USA, it would take some trial and error and postage $$$ to find out if they would even fit.

I tried the Loake Norwich in their medium UK F width. I found it very wide fitting, and more like a US E than a US standard D width.

For those who have wider feet, Loake may be a good option.

As far as quality goes, I see a big difference between AE and Alden. When I look at my Alden shoes, the leathers just look and feel to me much better than the leathers used on AE.

Of course since Aldens fit me and AE's do not, the choice for me is obvious. However, if it was the other way around AE would be my shoe of choice and I would own lots of them.

So in short, the best brand of shoes out there is always the one that fits!

Jess

The Louche

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Steven Aver
To say Aldens are in the same "wheelhouse" as AE is a crime. There is no comparison. Period.
bounce2.gif

I can think of a few knowledgeable members of the forum crowd that would disagree with you. I've seen quite a few people contend that one of the primary differing factors is Alden's use of a shank and lack of a 360 welt vs. AEs lack of shank and 360 welt. There are matters of preference.

And "wheelhouse" doesn't mean they compare directly - just that they are comparable. I'm sure that, on the whole, most would think Aldens to be a bit better. But not so much better that its night and day as you suggest. In fact, I'd wager that Alden and AE are each others primary competitors in the market place.

awxg

Reaction score
I'd choose Loake over AE based on style alone. Speaking of which, anyone have any idea where I could check out some Loakes in Toronto?

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Steven Aver
bounce2.gif

Aldens are actually worth their retail, thus the reason you rarely see them discounted much. They are an excellent value and some of the better RTW shoes made.

I feel bad for anyone who would actually pay retail for a pair of AE's.

In addition I am speaking to the 1880 line only in regards to Loake.

rolleyes.gif

Aldens are no better made, or designed, than AEs. Although I think Alden has been smart to stick to classics and AE's recent modern experiments are a bust.

ManofKent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Chouse
I had the same experience (I think their L1 Line). Would be interesting to hear if the 1880s are made with totally different/ better quality leather...

Loake L1 - grim - think Grenson Feathermaster quality - poor Corrected grain leather and low finishing quality

Loake 1880 - pretty good if not high end - decent calf leather okay finishing quality - similar level to Grenson Rushden range

My black shoes are both 1880 and for the odd occasions I wear black I'm perfectly happy with them - good value.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads