• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Loake 1880 > AE

Avebury

Reaction score
It will be interesting to see how Barker respond to Loake who have gone for the whistles and bells all singing all dancing website. At the 'bottom' end, with AS gone, Barker and Loake will fight it out. Barker have a slight edge in that they have a shop in London, but I bet Loake will soon follow suit. If I were Barker, I'd be getting the web design team in. From experience, I do think Barker are better than Loake, Loake L1 and Barker Flex excepted. My 1880s look worse everyday, my Barkers better. The Loakes I have seen for sale aren't a patch on Barker.

Steven Aver

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Avebury
It will be interesting to see how Barker respond to Loake who have gone for the whistles and bells all singing all dancing website. At the 'bottom' end, with AS gone, Barker and Loake will fight it out. Barker have a slight edge in that they have a shop in London, but I bet Loake will soon follow suit. If I were Barker, I'd be getting the web design team in. From experience, I do think Barker are better than Loake, Loake L1 and Barker Flex excepted. My 1880s look worse everyday, my Barkers better. The Loakes I have seen for sale aren't a patch on Barker.

You may not be taking care of your leather. My 1880 Ritz look good right now that I have been giving the leather saphir treatments on. Weekly basis. They have patinad beautifully and the leather has become very supple. No complaints here for a pair of shoes that cost almost nothing

osc

Reaction score
Originally Posted by constant struggle
I sized down 1 full size from my american size to get my english size...
now that i have both loake 1880 and AE... I feel the leather is better on AEs

Reading the previous posts, I fit an 8.5E comfortably in AEs, so would the Loake 1880 7.5F UK be ideal?

wetnose

Reaction score
Originally Posted by osc
Reading the previous posts, I fit an 8.5E comfortably in AEs, so would the Loake 1880 7.5F UK be ideal?

OSC, I suggest trying on the Loake loafers at the Bay on Queen St in Toronto. They're on a 33 last. For example, I am a AE 7.5 and the loafer in a 7 fit me perfectly.

After that, email pediwear and they can work out what is the UK size for your desired 1880 shoe. They have very close contacts with the Loake factory so they can tell you. Different lasts, different sizes...I'm a 6.5 on a Loake legend last, but a 7 on a 33 last....yeah I know. Also I can only fit into the 7.5 boot on a 33 last.

confused.gif
Yep, my foot fits into 3 different sizes from the same manufacturer.

osc

Reaction score
Originally Posted by wetnose
OSC, I suggest trying on the Loake loafers at the Bay on Queen St in Toronto. They're on a 33 last. For example, I am a AE 7.5 and the loafer in a 7 fit me perfectly.

After that, email pediwear and they can work out what is the UK size for your desired 1880 shoe. They have very close contacts with the Loake factory so they can tell you. Different lasts, different sizes...I'm a 6.5 on a Loake legend last, but a 7 on a 33 last....yeah I know. Also I can only fit into the 7.5 boot on a 33 last.

confused.gif
Yep, my foot fits into 3 different sizes from the same manufacturer.

Thanks for the heads up. I'll give it a shot at the Bay on Queen St. Any other places carry Loakes in Toronto or GTA?

awxg

Reaction score
Originally Posted by osc
Thanks for the heads up. I'll give it a shot at the Bay on Queen St. Any other places carry Loakes in Toronto or GTA?

So far, this is the only place I know that carries them and their collection is very poor. If you find any other places, let me know please.

wetnose

Reaction score
I received my Loake Paddingtons 2 weeks ago from Herrings. I think it's a Loake exclusive to Herrings since it's not on the Loake company site. It looks quite close to the Loake Paisely but billed as part of the Loake 1880 line. IMO, looks nicer than the Herrings photos.

Comparing it to my AEs:

1) I have 3 pairs of AEs: 2 of them are quite stiff, 1 quite buttery. This Loake falls in between.
2) I applied 2 coats of RM Williams saddle dressing and allowed to rest for 24 hours. Then applied 2 coats of polish. Loake's calf leather takes polish to a nice shine.
3) Comfort: just as comfortable as the AEs. Walked for an hour with no discomfort at all.
4) Construction: Immaculate. Seams are straight, nothing out of line. Leather construction throughout. GY welted.

Sizing: normally a 7.5 on AEs, the 6.5 on the Loake legend last fit me like a glove.

Verdict: like comparing a Honda Civic to a Toyota Corolla. Well made, affordable. I'd give the edge to the Loake as the last is a little more aggressive than the AEs.

osc

Reaction score
Originally Posted by wetnose
I received my Loake Paddingtons 2 weeks ago from Herrings. I think it's a Loake exclusive to Herrings since it's not on the Loake company site. It looks quite close to the Loake Paisely but billed as part of the Loake 1880 line. IMO, looks nicer than the Herrings photos.

Comparing it to my AEs:

1) I have 3 pairs of AEs: 2 of them are quite stiff, 1 quite buttery. This Loake falls in between.
2) I applied 2 coats of RM Williams saddle dressing and allowed to rest for 24 hours. Then applied 2 coats of polish. Loake's calf leather takes polish to a nice shine.
3) Comfort: just as comfortable as the AEs. Walked for an hour with no discomfort at all.
4) Construction: Immaculate. Seams are straight, nothing out of line. Leather construction throughout. GY welted.

Sizing: normally a 7.5 on AEs, the 6.5 on the Loake legend last fit me like a glove.

Verdict: like comparing a Honda Civic to a Toyota Corolla. Well made, affordable. I'd give the edge to the Loake as the last is a little more aggressive than the AEs.

Thanks for the review wetnose - I'll be getting a pair of Loake veery shortly as well.

Also, to the original question, the Bay on Bloor and Yonge carry Loake L1s as well (same selection as the one near Eaton Centre)

PS. Did Herring ship via Royal Mail or UPS? How was the duties/taxes for you?

wetnose

Reaction score
Worked out to CAD 40 for original cost+UPSshipping of GBP 140. Herrings put a lower value as declaration so the duty was lower.

onix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It seems the general consensus is that Loake 1880 and AE are of the same par. If that's the case, then why would anyone looks for AE on sale while Loake 1880 can be easily obtained at 180-220 range?

Philip1978

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by osc
Thanks for the review wetnose - I'll be getting a pair of Loake veery shortly as well.

Also, to the original question, the Bay on Bloor and Yonge carry Loake L1s as well (same selection as the one near Eaton Centre)

PS. Did Herring ship via Royal Mail or UPS? How was the duties/taxes for you?

When I got mine from Herring they used UPS and was chared $40 CDN.

osc

Reaction score
Originally Posted by onix
It seems the general consensus is that Loake 1880 and AE are of the same par. If that's the case, then why would anyone looks for AE on sale while Loake 1880 can be easily obtained at 180-220 range?

AEs are readily available to try on in North America whereas Loakes are a little harder to find, if at all.

Originally Posted by DrCool1978
When I got mine from Herring they used UPS and was chared $40 CDN.

I purchased mine from Richard @ Shoe Healer and he shipped via DHL, received in 2 business days and was charged approx. $30. I also got free brushes and polish with it
laugh.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads