• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Loake 1880 > AE

ManofKent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Chouse
Are there any other narrow/ sleek lasts in the 1888-Line? I heard people praise the Mayfair/Legend last before but sadly only very few 1888 are made with it...

I don't find the 026 last bad (both my Kemptons and Exeters are 026). I've got the Exeter on my feet today:

loake_exeter1.jpg

loake_exeter2.jpg

loake_exeter3.jpg

Bear in mind I'm a UK 11 - 11.5 so they're big feet!

penguin vic

Reaction score
Looks pretty good on your big feet. The 026 last isn't great with my stumpy wide feet. The new capital last looks quite good but I haven't seen it in person:
2387-1287-photo2.jpg

Chouse

Reaction score
Thanks for the answer, the 026 does indeed look good on you. I thought since this last appears to be their "standard/classic" last it would tend to run wide. Did you have size down?

ManofKent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Chouse
Thanks for the answer, the 026 does indeed look good on you. I thought since this last appears to be their "standard/classic" last it would tend to run wide. Did you have size down?

I wouldn't describe it as that wide - pretty much a medium width in the F, similar to Crockett & Jones 325 last in an E, maybe a touch wider than Alfred Sargent last 87 in F, but not much. In general sizing I'd say they run almost half a size larger than Edward Greens (I can get away with an 11E in EG 202 in Suede, but really need the 11.5 in calf). Basically I'd say they were a reasonably generous size 11 but a fairly average width.

Biggskip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have looked on pediwear (but not plal). I wasn't able to find any monk straps in the 1880 line. Does anybody know if they Loake has a monk strap in the 1880 line?

Geoff Gander

Reaction score
I don't think so.

I just visited the Loake site though - completely redone. You can rotate the various models on offer, and even order directly from the factory now. I also notice that they have a Royal Warrant from the Queen. I don't recall them having that before - does anyone know when it was awarded?

Geoff

constant struggle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Omar1223
hey constant struggle, if you dont mind when your chukkas get here could you post how the ended up working out?

thanks.

will do.

Chouse

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ManofKent
I wouldn't describe it as that wide - pretty much a medium width in the F, similar to Crockett & Jones 325 last in an E, maybe a touch wider than Alfred Sargent last 87 in F, but not much. In general sizing I'd say they run almost half a size larger than Edward Greens (I can get away with an 11E in EG 202 in Suede, but really need the 11.5 in calf). Basically I'd say they were a reasonably generous size 11 but a fairly average width.

Thanks!

Originally Posted by Biggskip
I have looked on pediwear (but not plal). I wasn't able to find any monk straps in the 1880 line. Does anybody know if they Loake has a monk strap in the 1880 line?

Check out Herringshoes. I think they have some 1880 monks there.

ManofKent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Geoff Gander
I don't think so.

I just visited the Loake site though - completely redone. You can rotate the various models on offer, and even order directly from the factory now. I also notice that they have a Royal Warrant from the Queen. I don't recall them having that before - does anyone know when it was awarded?

Geoff

bigbris1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ManofKent
I don't find the 026 last bad (both my Kemptons and Exeters are 026). I've got the Exeter on my feet today:

loake_exeter3.jpg

Bear in mind I'm a UK 11 - 11.5 so they're big feet!

Those are nice, I have considered getting myself a pair. Are those the laces they came with? I have been looking for some flat dress laces for ages, like the ones that come with Grensons.

ManofKent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bigbris1
Those are nice, I have considered getting myself a pair. Are those the laces they came with? I have been looking for some flat dress laces for ages, like the ones that come with Grensons.
Yes they came with them.

Elorion

Reaction score
Just bought me a pair of Loake Savoys on the mayfair last. Conversion rate what it is now....couldn't resist.

Jack2000

Reaction score
Originally Posted by constant struggle
I just got some Loake Kempton Black Chukkas with Dainite sole for bad weather... from pediwear, free shoe trees included!...
1880 line of course...

I went down 1 full size from my AE size, hope they work out...

Why did you go down a full size--do you mean for the English-American size conversion or do they run really big? I was thinking about getting a pair.

Trackmane

Reaction score
Hi all,

Bumping this to see if anyone happens to have additinal info about the Loake Kew that is mentioned? It's amazing to me that so few NYC shops carry Loakes (I know that some on this forum aren't huge fans.)

What I'm trying to asertain is how the Kew compares to the 1880 line of shoes? I know that the Kew is calf leather uppers and all leather soles, but do they age/wear as well as the 1880's?

Also, any comments/opinions about the G fit/Loake CCS system would be appreciated. I don't normally buy wide shoes but am hoping that they will still fit, possbily in a half size lower than usual?

Thanks!

constant struggle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jack2000
Why did you go down a full size--do you mean for the English-American size conversion or do they run really big? I was thinking about getting a pair.

I sized down 1 full size from my american size to get my english size...
now that i have both loake 1880 and AE... I feel the leather is better on AEs

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads