• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Wallet: Brown or Tan, Bridle or other, Best Manufacturer?

josepidal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have decided to spend on a good, slim bifold wallet, and be willing to spend a little bit more. I was using a Barantani purchased from eBay, but the stitching came apart in less than a year and coins now fall out of it. I think I am rough on my wallets as I prefer to put them in a rear pocket, and they get crushed a bit when I wear my New Standards.

Some questions:

1. Many here would recommend a rich brown wallet, but would tan be acceptable for a professional? Would tan age better than anything else? Or would something like chestnet be a better compromise between dark brown and tan?

2. Is bridle leather the best and most durable material and should I make sure to look for it? I like the feel of a rich bridle leather piece, and alternatives I've seen on labels are calf, leather, nappa, cowhide, and pigskin. Crocodile, lizard and ostrich look interesting, but I heard these are less durable than bridle. And is stingray supposed to be the most durable of all?

3. Assuming money is no object, who would be the best manufacturer for a bridle leather wallet (leaving out exotics)? Names I've heard here include Swaine Adeney, Valextra, Tanner Krolle and Launer, and I admit there's some snob appeal to Launer wallets with the royal warrant on the inside. Are there small manufacturers that can produce the same or better quality for less?

4. An American-sized wallet (8 cm) should work for US dollars and Asian currencies, but not Euros, Pound notes, and other European currencies, right?

Thanks in advance.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Do you really think that the color of your wallet could somehow make it unacceptable for a professional? In the past I have carried blue, orange and green wallets. Nobody has ever noticed, and I have never noticed anybody elses.

As far as durability goes, if you are going to put it in your back pocket, you might as well get something cheap, because it will not last.

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
+1 on the color issue, although the blues/oranges are kinda out there.

I think bridle leather would be the toughest, as this type of leather is used for machineary.

I'm really not sure how a wallet would fall apart in one year. From a personal experience, I've carried a LV Taiga for 9 years and it's still quite serviceable. No loose threads. It's even just plain old calfskin. It goes in my backpocket everyday when I'm out of the house, so essentially 10 hours a day, 6-7 days/week, all this for 9 years.

I have driver license, 1 credit card, 4 pictures of family, and a single $20. No coins, no change. It's slim. I think carrying coins may actually be harmful to the wallet leather.

Taxler

Reaction score
The only wallets I've ever had wear out are casual ones I put in my rear pocket and sit on all day. A slim wallet kept in the breast pocket should last a very long time even if it's not of the highest quality. My favorite slim is the Ghurka buffalo.

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
Originally Posted by josepidal
1. Many here would recommend a rich brown wallet, but would tan be acceptable for a professional? Would tan age better than anything else? Or would something like chestnet be a better compromise between dark brown and tan?

As long s there is no elastic, velcro or held in a rubber band your peers and collegues shouldn't care.

2. Is bridle leather the best and most durable material and should I make sure to look for it? I like the feel of a rich bridle leather piece, and alternatives I've seen on labels are calf, leather, nappa, cowhide, and pigskin. Crocodile, lizard and ostrich look interesting, but I heard these are less durable than bridle. And is stingray supposed to be the most durable of all?

I've had brown croc Jil Sander wallet for over a year and the outside looks brand new. My boyfriend has had a stingray wallet for sometime and no problems there.
I've also had an Hermes wallet and the bridle leather seems to be very porous and it would easily stain and discolor.

3. Assuming money is no object, who would be the best manufacturer for a bridle leather wallet (leaving out exotics)? Names I've heard here include Swaine Adeney, Valextra, Tanner Krolle and Launer, and I admit there's some snob appeal to Launer wallets with the royal warrant on the inside. Are there small manufacturers that can produce the same or better quality for less?

You can add Hermes to that for about $800-$1000

Also, since I already deleted it from your quote...why do you carry around coins in your wallet? Just get a purse.

GeorgePaul

Reaction score
I've had extremely good luck with Hartmann wallets. Very, very durable.

The False Prophet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you're wearing dry denim, anything in tan will stain a bit - they seem to think it's pretty rad over at SuFu, but I think it looks marsupialed.

And yeah, agreed that there's no "appropriately professional" colour. Just don't carry an LV monogram and you'll be sweet...

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
As far as durability goes, if you are going to put it in your back pocket, you might as well get something cheap, because it will not last.
So true; then add the silliness of sitting on a wad of leather.

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
BTW, I hate that I'm even responding to the OP's thread, he makes me feel like a chump. I rationalize that I'm chatting with Matt.
blush.gif

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I don't think most Hermes wallets are made in bridle leather, which is generally sort of thick and tough. They use box calf or Barenia leather for a lot of their smaller leathergoods. Barenia is very nice but rather delicate.

If the OP wants bridle leather, Swaine Adeney, its sister company Papworth and Hartmann are well known for it.

Valextra does not use bridle leather to my knowledge, but it's pretty cool.

Launer and Ettinger are two good British leathergoods houses working mostly in calfskin

I use a Russia calf wallet with gilt corners to keep the corners from wearing down. I also used a RJ soft leather wallet that was quite well made.

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RJman
rolleyes.gif

While some would say you're at a loss for words, I find your response utterly succinct.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads