• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

MTM in NYC for around $1,000: Mr. Ned?

goldknots

Reaction score
Hi All,

First, thanks to everyone that has helped me with shoe suggestions. Now for the second part of my shopping budget. I am looking for a MTM suit in NYC for around $1,000 and hopefully in a 120's fabric. From what I can tell in the post, Mr. Ned sounds like a great option, but many of these post are from 2006-2007, is this still a reliable place for a good MTM suit or should I look elsewhere. Also, no one seemed to post any pics, does anyone have pics? I'm pretty much done with OTR suits, I'm a 42R jacket but typically need a 38 pants and have them taken in a bit around the waste, so finding a 42R with the right pants is a challenge. Thanks in advance for your help!

Slewfoot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You could also try www.michaelandrewsbespoke.com. I'd say Michael is naturally a bit more modern in style, but he can also do classic very well. As with any tailor, just be specific with what you want and have fun!

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by goldknots
Hi All,

First, thanks to everyone that has helped me with shoe suggestions. Now for the second part of my shopping budget. I am looking for a MTM suit in NYC for around $1,000 and hopefully in a 120's fabric. From what I can tell in the post, Mr. Ned sounds like a great option, but many of these post are from 2006-2007, is this still a reliable place for a good MTM suit or should I look elsewhere. Also, no one seemed to post any pics, does anyone have pics? I'm pretty much done with OTR suits, I'm a 42R jacket but typically need a 38 pants and have them taken in a bit around the waste, so finding a 42R with the right pants is a challenge. Thanks in advance for your help!

first suggestion, don't get caught up in the super's number of the fabric, it's meaningless. Just look at fabrics and pick one you like the look and feel of. second, Mr. Ned will give you a good value product, a typical NY suit for lack of a better decription. He will do enough fittings where you will get a well fitting suit, unlike a lot of other MTM operations. I would only suggest that you first figure out what "look" it is you are going for. In other words, when you look at magazines/ads, what brands call to you. Ralph Lauren Black Label/Thom Browne/Prada have a certain look which is different from Brooks Brothers/Canali/Paul Stuart etc. The best way to get what you want is to know exactly what you are looking for and to be able to explain it.

nmprisons

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have had Mr. Ned make me three suits. The first was ok, but I wouldn't now wear it given some obvious construction issues that are visible when it is worn. The second was good, I wear it regularly and thought, "nice, we have it figured out." I got a third made and it was a total disaster. Be careful. I won't go back.

You would be better off finding a nice suit on deep discount at Century 21 or B & S and then taking it to a top-notch tailor (even if you have to get the pants recut).

blackbowtie

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Slewfoot
You could also try www.michaelandrewsbespoke.com. I'd say Michael is naturally a bit more modern in style, but he can also do classic very well. As with any tailor, just be specific with what you want and have fun!

I did a quick search on the forum and found a less-than-flattering thread about Michael Andrews. Out of curiosity, has anyone had any experience with them? Who are they? What's their deal?

blackbowtie

Reaction score
Originally Posted by nmprisons
I have had Mr. Ned make me three suits. The first was ok, but I wouldn't now wear it given some obvious construction issues that are visible when it is worn. The second was good, I wear it regularly and thought, "nice, we have it figured out." I got a third made and it was a total disaster. Be careful. I won't go back.

What do you think accounts for the variability in quality? I have the impression that you are measured and the suit is cut by the same person at Mr. Ned's?

Slewfoot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by blackbowtie
I did a quick search on the forum and found a less-than-flattering thread about Michael Andrews. Out of curiosity, has anyone had any experience with them? Who are they? What's their deal?

I've used them for a bunch of suits and jackets. I feel that thread was more in reaction to the style of the individual who made the suit. At MAB they are open to going as modern or conservative as someone wants. Do they have the skills of someone at A&S or Steed? Of course not, but it's a very nice product for the money in New York.

EDIT - If you search in WAYWN under my posts and Michael Andrews Bespoke you'll see some examples. Unfortuantely I'm selling one of my suits which you can see in the link below simply for reasons of the details I chose. Nothing to do with the fit or construction.

goldknots

Reaction score
Originally Posted by nmprisons
I have had Mr. Ned make me three suits. The first was ok, but I wouldn't now wear it given some obvious construction issues that are visible when it is worn. The second was good, I wear it regularly and thought, "nice, we have it figured out." I got a third made and it was a total disaster. Be careful. I won't go back. You would be better off finding a nice suit on deep discount at Century 21 or B & S and then taking it to a top-notch tailor (even if you have to get the pants recut).
What exactly goes into recutting the pants? I have a tailor that did a great job on two of my suits so far and could consider this an option.

scruff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm getting a bespoke two-piece made for about $1100 (including fabric - Guabello 150s from Tip Top). All work done in Manhattan, suprising amount of handwork, five week turnaround, 3 (or more if necessary) fittings. I'll put up a post w/ info and pictures once it's done.

goldknots

Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
first suggestion, don't get caught up in the super's number of the fabric, it's meaningless. Just look at fabrics and pick one you like the look and feel of. second, Mr. Ned will give you a good value product, a typical NY suit for lack of a better decription. He will do enough fittings where you will get a well fitting suit, unlike a lot of other MTM operations. I would only suggest that you first figure out what "look" it is you are going for. In other words, when you look at magazines/ads, what brands call to you. Ralph Lauren Black Label/Thom Browne/Prada have a certain look which is different from Brooks Brothers/Canali/Paul Stuart etc. The best way to get what you want is to know exactly what you are looking for and to be able to explain it.
I'll certainly spend some time looking at different styles/cuts. I tend to like Canali and Paul Smith suits in terms of how they look but have never paid close attention to the actual cut and drape of the suit. That being said, when I had my last suit altered with my tailor, I like having the mid section nipped in, high armholes and a clean fit around the arms. I also think a center vent works much better on my body type though I like the look of side vents better. This will be a fun task to work on.

goldknots

Reaction score
Originally Posted by scruff
I'm getting a bespoke two-piece made for about $1100 (including fabric - Guabello 150s from Tip Top). All work done in Manhattan, suprising amount of handwork, five week turnaround, 3 (or more if necessary) fittings. I'll put up a post w/ info and pictures once it's done.
scruff, is this from Mr. Ned?

taxgenius

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by scruff

Please do!

How did you describe the style you wanted?

Mark Seitelman

Reaction score
I have heard that Mr. Ned is good.

I have used LS Mens Clothing on W. 45th St.

LS doesn't make the suit in-house. He uses outside factories, such as H. Freeman, Southwick, Coppley, and a local workshop.

I think that either one would be a fine start.

bjm

Reaction score
heres my 2 cents. I had Mr.Ned make me a suit last year. Its a perfectly good suit, not saville row obviously. But is it outstanding in any way no.

As I am an off the peg size, I have come to realize that I can do better buying suits and shirts for that matter on deep discount which isnt hard these days. For example I bought a bunch of RLPL suits for a low of $250 to a high of $699, these are $4k full retail, and the fit, cut and material are superb and superior to my Mr.Ned suit. Again not to dis Mr. Ned in any way he does a good job for what you pay.

I had the same realization with shirts after having had a bunch of shirts made by a well known NY based outfit. Perfectly fine basic shirt, that fits. But I can buy Truzzi,RLPL/Turbull and Asser for the same cost and they are far superior in quality and materials than the basic $120 custom job. Which gets you a shirt that fits but very basic macys type material. For the finer material the price escalates quickly.

If one is not an off the rack size then it makes sense to go mid-level custom, otherwise I think your better off picking up great proven quality suits/shirts at blowout prices...which is not hard these days.

Regards,
Monet Oliver de Place

nmprisons

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by blackbowtie
What do you think accounts for the variability in quality? I have the impression that you are measured and the suit is cut by the same person at Mr. Ned's?

I have no idea. Some of the problems were simply carelessness (I asked for no working buttons and no pick stitching and got both), some seemed to simply be poor craftsmanship (the notch in one lapel is badly misshapen) and some basically just wrong (one sleeve attaches totally differently than the other and looks horribly awkward).

Perhaps I am unlucky, perhaps they take advantage of me because I am younger than most of their clientele, perhaps I don't know what I am talking about, but it has been like spinning a roulette wheel trying to get a suit that works.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads