• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fashion Identity Crisis...

genericman

Reaction score
Long time member and poster, but I had to open a new account because I forgot my old email password. I apologize if this sounds like a noob thread, but it's been bothering me for sometime. I have tried asking my friends and family. However, they have no idea what they are talking about or really care actually, so I thought I'd post to my trustworthy SF friends. Anyways, I am a 26 year old male in the health professional school. My whole life I dressed "preppy". I went to boarding school in Connecticut, so basically our uniform consisted of Brooks Brother/Polo and blue blazer. Once I got to college, I still dressed that way but threw on some rainbow sandals to be more "sooocaaal". Since I starting being active on SF a few years ago, my dressware has significantly improved (thanks to WAYNT threads, I threw out my pleated pants and oversized Classic Fit Polo Buttonups). My closet consist of a couple BoO shirts, MJK buttonups, monochrome V necks, W+H M-65, Zara Peacoat, UVC, Somet 003, Levi 514, Clark wallabee, and Minnetonka driving shoe. Brands include a lot of APC, Filippa K, J Crew, etc. Typical SF. I love the clothes I wear, but I feel it is too predictable. I am Asian. I am good at math. I'm going to be a doctor. I dress preppy. There's no edge. And that's what I want to try to add to my wardrobe. I understand I have to dress professionally during my school/hospital (UVC, Slim Button-up, Sperry/Derby), but my casual outfit is the same (replace with the shirt with a BoO or MJK). I've always loved the Dior Homme look (minus the androgyny), but I don't know how to pull it off. I dress like this (thanks Brutus, nice fit btw) I want to dress more like this:
o7k3rc.jpg
303br5x.jpg
qq1yxx.jpg
11sgjyc.jpg
6iqkwo.jpg
I purchased a RO Funnel leather jacket and some slim zip up ankle boots from Swedish Vagabond, but I can't seem to pull it off. As I said earlier I am Asian, so I lack a lot of scruffy/emo qualities (i.e. dirty rocker) due to professional school and lack of body hair genetics. Am I purchasing the wrong items? I tried wearing that RO jacket with my APC NS, BoO overdye shirt, and 2 inch tie - somehow it just looks off. Is it possible to mix APC preppy with Dior Homme rock? Or do I need to purchase a new casual wardrobe? I'm sure I'll get a lot of "wear the whatever f*** you want/comfortable" answers, but I'm just looking for some opinions. Thanks guys!

Coldsnap

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
dude don't do it.
If you do though, I will buy all your clothes if your a small guy

bluemagic

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nothing wrong with dressing a certain way if that's what your life is like. You're going to be a doctor, not an artist. There's no need for you to be edgy, and in fact it seems a little inappropriate.

toothsomesound

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chronoaug
Step 1- be 6ft or taller Step 2- Be thin Step 3- Be relatively good looking Then you can do that look with pretty much all h&m if you wanted to. A lot of mid market brands and low end shops like h&m still use dior homme styling so you can usually find similar looking pieces.
I would contest that first one.
tongue.gif
But actually, its not that hard. You have a pretty good foundation right now, a lot of that stuff could be incorporated into more edgy looks, and most of it is pretty good value wise so B&S and/or eBay is always an option. H&M and Zara are great to go to for fast fashion, I personally like Club Monaco a lot for simpler stuff. Most of the SF approved brands have looks and pieces that are on the darker side or have a clear Dior type influence. Browse Sufu or even SZ for more brands that are closer to that aesthetic. I dunno, to me it's just about making everything rail thin and working with a darker color palette, maybe throwing a few interesting pieces in here and there but mostly real basic stuff. Its not hard to achieve, and definitely shouldn't be difficult to pull off. A good body and confidence is really all it takes I think. There's nothing wrong with being a doctor and dressing more urban or "edgy" as opposed to stereotypical preppy stuff. It's your personal sense of style so if that's important to you then make it work. My uncle is an anesthesiologist and wears a lot of super slim and athletic desinger-y stuff. I dunno, my personal style is somewhere in the middle though lately it's been edging closer to the edgy side but who knows.

dfagdfsh

Professional Style Farmer
Reaction score
its about not giving a ****. coming on this board and asking how to copy a style that is all about attitude means that you probably couldn't pull it off

PinkPantser

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
lol at using a picture of brutus - I hoped you asked his permission to be your example of 'boring'.

Teger is right though, if you're going to second-guess yourself the whole way through it's going to be a ****** ride when it should be fun.

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
^not true socal doesn't give a **** but is unable to pull off zeitgeist looks

I'm sure SAs advise him against certain pieces but he probably doesn't care.

OP, don't be that guy.

genericman

Reaction score
Originally Posted by chronoaug
Step 1- be 6ft or taller
Step 2- Be thin
Step 3- Be relatively good looking

Then you can do that look with pretty much all h&m if you wanted to. A lot of mid market brands and low end shops like h&m still use dior homme styling so you can usually find similar looking pieces.

1. 5'11 (30 inch inseam)
2. 160lb ( skinny fat with some love handles from my college days)
3. 7/10, but I heavily rely on beer goggles
cheers.gif

Originally Posted by Teger
its about not giving a ****. coming on this board and asking how to copy a style that is all about attitude means that you probably couldn't pull it off

that's what I was thinking...if you have to think about it, it most likely come off trying too hard.
I seem to pull off the grungy, "I don't give a f***" only the mornings after a rough night. When I just grab some old clothes on the floor, messed hair, beer wrenched, blood shot eyes grabbing some brunch with some friends.

Originally Posted by PinkPantser
lol at using a picture of brutus - I hoped you asked his permission to be your example of 'boring'.

it's not boring at all. its a clean and respectable attire. doctor-approved
smile.gif

Originally Posted by Uncontrol
We need pics.

Looking at the pictures, the jeans aren't slim enough but I don't think I can fit in Dior 19 or Cures. Am I too FAT for Hedi?!? The boots seem to sleek and looks more suitable for a slim grey suit.

286z9y0.jpg

ifwjt2.jpg

mja90l.jpg

1zgzz8m.jpg

24cgkmh.jpg

skunkworks

Reaction score
If you feel like you're bound by the need to clothe yourself with a professional image and can't do more edgy looks, then you are either too sensitive about what professional entails, are stuck in a ultra-conservative industry, or are having an identity crisis that has nothing to do with clothes. If you want a different swag, go get it, but the clothes are going to be only a small part of it.

It sounds like you are defining yourself by your labels (asian, math, doctor, preppy) and are having a hard time breaking out of it in both attitude and image. Many people I find that label themselves like that are uninteresting and insipid. You seem to be in an unenviable place where you've realized that you might be turning that way. Has your life started becoming too predictable as well?

wmmk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'll play devil's advocate.

You're 26, from Connecticut, a Med student, and slim/average build. Hedi-era Dior was all about scruffy, rail thin spooky kids. If you suddenly dress up in Dior, you will probably look like a tool. You're never going to be rail thin, scruffy, or spooky (which, in and of itself is a rather predictable combination), so why not instead try to look like the most badass Connecticut-reared doctor ever. Keep wearing your preppy stuff, but throw in those BoO tuxedo sweatpants or black patent topsiders. If you feel really ambitious, wear some Ann Dem pieces with your regular gear sometime. If you coordinate well, it'll look really awesome. Maybe gradually start hanging out with a scruffier crowd and pick up some of their affections without thinking too hard about it.

genericman

Reaction score
Originally Posted by skunkworks
If you feel like you're bound by the need to clothe yourself with a professional image and can't do more edgy looks, then you are either too sensitive about what professional entails, are stuck in a ultra-conservative industry, or are having an identity crisis that has nothing to do with clothes. If you want a different swag, go get it, but the clothes are going to be only a small part of it. It sounds like you are defining yourself by your labels (asian, math, doctor, preppy) and are having a hard time breaking out of it in both attitude and image. Many people I find that label themselves like that are uninteresting and insipid. You seem to be in an unenviable place where you've realized that you might be turning that way. Has your life started becoming too predictable as well?
I am a resident in plastic surgery in Greenwich, Connecticut. Conservative? check. I focus on reconstructive cleft lip and palate surgery. I am part of an organization (www.operationsmile.org) that provides free cosmetic surgeries to fix birth deformities. Been to Kenya, Honduras, Ethiopia, India and Morocco so far in 09. Uninteresting and insipid? you decide... As for the labeling, I was trying to be funny and not actually generalize myself. I was just making a point that I dress in a clean preppy aesthetic. I understand your point though and I did not try to come off that way. Writing is not my strong point. I'm asian, kidding. If it helps, I smooooke weed everyday. da da da da daaaa
Originally Posted by wmmk
I'll play devil's advocate. You're 26, from Connecticut, a Med student, and slim/average build. Hedi-era Dior was all about scruffy, rail thin spooky kids. If you suddenly dress up in Dior, you will probably look like a tool. You're never going to be rail thin, scruffy, or spooky (which, in and of itself is a rather predictable combination), so why not instead try to look like the most badass Connecticut-reared doctor ever. Keep wearing your preppy stuff, but throw in those BoO tuxedo sweatpants or black patent topsiders. If you feel really ambitious, wear some Ann Dem pieces with your regular gear sometime. If you coordinate well, it'll look really awesome. Maybe gradually start hanging out with a scruffier crowd and pick up some of their affections without thinking too hard about it.
Maybe I worded my OP incorrectly. I'm not trying to starve myself and scruff up. I was just thinking about picking up a classic Dior blazer and leather jacket. A little rock influence to my current style. I'll take your devil's advocate in consideration. Wise words

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads